Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why did my instructor do this?

Options
  • 20-04-2008 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    In preparation for my test in 5 week's time I am getting more lessons to iron out my bad habits. Today was my first lesson with my new instructor. When I was talking to him on the phone yesterday I told him I would like a pre-test on the day of my test to calm my nerves and get me in test mode. He told me that he does not do pre-tests on the day of the test because if I was to do badly then I would have no confidence going into the test. Fair enough I said. I had no problem with it.

Then after my lesson today we are going through his diary so I can book more lessons (he is very very busy the next couple of weeks). I book a couple of lessons and tell him I will book a couple more later in the week. Then he goes "Do you still want a pre-test on the day of the test?". I said yes please and he booked me in??? After originally saying he doesn't do pre-tests on the day of the test!!! He did mention that I was a good driver and just had a couple of things to practise so maybe that has something to do with it. It's not like he is short of business from me or anyone else anyway. Now he knows I had a pre-test with another driving school last week so maybe he thinks that if he doesn't take me on a pre-test on the day, I will go to the other school instead?

I am hoping it is because he thinks I am going to do well and so a pre-test on the day won't do any harm. He said I am a good driver and because I am preparing so early I have a good chance of passing. He said he gets people ringing him at night sometimes, saying they have their test in the morning and can they have a lesson before it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Thats strange alright.

Get a pre test the day before, then take a spin around the route yourself the day of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Who knows? Why do you really care? Take the pre-test on the day of the test. It will help you work through your nerves and relax. My instructor said a pre-test was desirable because it helped you get into the groove and remember, if you **** up the pre-test chances are you won't **** up the test because you'll be extra careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He said he gets people ringing him at night sometimes, saying they have their test in the morning and can they have a lesson before it.
    It appears that your instructor has realised that you are not just another person only looking for pre-tests and are actually serious about getting lessons. That may explain his initial reluctance about doing pre-tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'm with WA on this.
    He is probably fed up with people coming to him to sort out their driving minutes before they do a test and possibly even implicating him in some way if they didnt pass.
    But after meeting you in plenty of time beforehand he probably has more confidence in you as a genuine committed learner and willing to give you every extra assistance.
    Take it as a good sign.

Advertisement