Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I get insured?

Options
  • 20-04-2008 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Ive recently finished my 9th driving lesson there on Thursday and I am really eager now to go out and buy my first motor!

I'm in a band and would benefit greatly from a van, maybe a Hiace or something smaller than a transit.

I am on a learners permit and my question is do I need to do a further test to drive a van? Or am I ok with the license I got?

A friend of mines who works for Brittons insurance told me I may not be granted insurance on a van as I am only 20!? This doesn't sound right as I see younger lads out driving vans without a bother on them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Check your licence and see what categories you are licenced for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

You can get insurance

Category B covers car and light van. Therefore, a Cat B Learners Permit will allow you to drive (supervised) either a ca or light van, provided the vehicle has a Design Gross Weight (i.e. the vehicles weight empty plus its maximum full load) not exceeding 3500kgs.

A full B license will allow you to drive either, unsupervised, plus a trailer, but the trailer must have a DGW <= 750kg and the total DGW of vehicle+trailer must not exceed 3500kgs.

However, there are two notes of caution.
    1) Doing your Cat B test in a van will be much harder than doing it in a regular or small car.
    2) The guards will eventually start a crackdown on unacommpanied permit holders, if they haven't done so already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Most of the 'ordinary' insurance companies won't insure a van as a private policy.

Advertisement