Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some advice about alloy wheels

Options
  • 20-04-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

I might be about to buy a set of alloys for my car today and before I do I was hoping I could get a bit of advice.
    Is there anything more to the sizing of the wheels? He has them on a 4*100 car and says they are multifit. My car is also 4*100. Does that mean that they definitely will fit or do I need anything else?
    I have good tyres on my standard wheels and they are the same size (ie 14") can you go into Advance or someplace like that and have them balance and fit them for me?
    Is there anything else I havent thought of?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions but I know nothing about this.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If your tires are the same size (as in 14") then there's very little else there is to it.

You'll be told that the alloys won't fit on my car at all if there's any difference in width. Bull****.

regardless..nothin to do with your situation! your alloys will fit.
    I would only go to advance to have the tracking done.. put them on yourself. Getting them to do both of these is a waste as they charge over a 100 euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ClioV6 wrote: »
    If your tires are the same size (as in 14") then there's very little else there is to it.

That is incorrect. There is a width of the tires and how high/low the profile (height of sidewall of tire) is on the tires also to consider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

BrynW wrote: »
    That is incorrect. There is a width of the tires and how high/low the profile (height of sidewall of tire) is on the tires also to consider

Ok, unless they have a huge profile tire on it (which I rarely see) then it's fine.
    The width of the tires will rarely come into question.
    The tires I put on mine are twice the width of the originals, I was told they wouldn't fit whatsoever.
    I put them on myself, no rubbing, grinding..nothing, under any circumstances, even with a full car.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Ok, unless they have a huge profile tire on it (which I rarely see) then it's fine.
    The width of the tires will rarely come into question.
    The tires I put on mine are twice the width of the originals, I was told they wouldn't fit whatsoever.
    I put them on myself, no rubbing, grinding..nothing, under any circumstances, even with a full car.

I think i read the original post wrong, i had thought the op had wanted to put the tires that were on his car now onto his new alloys!!!

• Advertisement

BrynW wrote: »
    I think i read the original post wrong, i had thought the op had wanted to put the tires that were on his car now onto his new alloys!!!
    Yeah that kinda is what what I meant. The tyres on the new wheels are nearly gone. My own are 175 65 R14. Can you just put them on any 14" alloy?

Yeah that kinda is what what I meant. The tyres on the new wheels are nearly gone. My own are 175 65 R14. Can you just put them on any 14" alloy?

It depends on the alloy and what tires it takes, you will need to check what size tires the new alloys take

Right cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you need to make sure the centre bore of the alloys match your car. you may be able to get adaptor rings to make the centre bore of the alloys smaller, and you may not.

you also need to ensure the offset of the wheels match the specs of your car.

What car do you have, and what car are the wheels coming off?

I have a 96 1.6 Mits Carisma hb. Wheels are on a Toyota cynos on the ad. My wheels are 4*100.

• Advertisement

OK I bought the wheels on the condition that I can give em back if they dont fit. The hole for the hub is bigger on the new wheels than on the car so from reading other posts I believe I have to get a spacer. I called Halfords and a couple of other places nowhere seems to sell em. Someone told me its called a spigot ring. Any ideas where to get some of these?

Advertisement