Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating and taking a new subject.

Options
  • 20-04-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

I plan on repeating the leaving certificate next year after one year of college. I do not like my course and want to switch to another but I need to re train.

I need to do biology and learn the subject in one year is this possible and is it possible to resit every subject besides Irish?

My real questions are. Where could I accomplish this? How much will it cost and are there any summer courses that would compliment my resit?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can you give a bit more information? What course are you doing now? What do you want to do?

It is possible to resit the leaving cert in one year, you could go to a regular school and resit there, some schools have a repeat LC class, normally it costs €250 to repeat the LC, plus cost of books etc.

Or you could go to a grind school at the cost of about €5000. I'm not really in favour of the places but they work for some people and they do have dedicated classes for repeat students where you can more or less take whatever subjects you want.

You don't have to repeat Irish if you took it the first time. You can only count points from one sitting of the LC (your best one) but you can take requirements from any number of sittings, so if you have your Irish requirement, no need to do it again.

Why I ask for more information is did you get the points the first time round for the course you want to do next year, because if you did and are fairly confident that those points would be sufficient for next year you would only need to do the subjects that are a requirement for entry to the course - i'm guessing biology is a requirement for the course you want.

The other thing is if you are repeating to get higher points as well as biology, it may be worth your while taking the subjects for LC that you did in first year in college - if that is possible. While you don't like your college course, the material for LC will be a lot easier and you could probably score quite high here if it's points you are after. Taking subjects you are familiar with will ease the workload and give you more time to study biology. It's a long enough course and there is a lot of information in it, but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Can you give a bit more information? What course are you doing now? What do you want to do?

It is possible to resit the leaving cert in one year, you could go to a regular school and resit there, some schools have a repeat LC class, normally it costs €250 to repeat the LC, plus cost of books etc.

Or you could go to a grind school at the cost of about €5000. I'm not really in favour of the places but they work for some people and they do have dedicated classes for repeat students where you can more or less take whatever subjects you want.

You don't have to repeat Irish if you took it the first time. You can only count points from one sitting of the LC (your best one) but you can take requirements from any number of sittings, so if you have your Irish requirement, no need to do it again.

Why I ask for more information is did you get the points the first time round for the course you want to do next year, because if you did and are fairly confident that those points would be sufficient for next year you would only need to do the subjects that are a requirement for entry to the course - i'm guessing biology is a requirement for the course you want.

The other thing is if you are repeating to get higher points as well as biology, it may be worth your while taking the subjects for LC that you did in first year in college - if that is possible. While you don't like your college course, the material for LC will be a lot easier and you could probably score quite high here if it's points you are after. Taking subjects you are familiar with will ease the workload and give you more time to study biology. It's a long enough course and there is a lot of information in it, but it is possible.

I did not get enough points for what I want to do. I would go to the institute but I have nothing near that amount of money....I am currently in engineering and want to veterinary medicine, psychology or animal welfare and psychology(I believe thats abroad as I could not find that course here). I need to get information on the right course of action. Anywhere that could provide it? I have the whole summer ahead and I am willing to study during it.

Well if you could go to the institute I assume you are in the Dublin area, it would be worth checking out if any of the schools in your area have a repeat leaving cert class for starters.

And from engineering I would imagine you would be able to take maths, physics and applied maths as three honours subjects, if you were willing to take them of course.

If you want to research college courses try

www.qualifax.ie to get a full list of courses, entry requirements etc.

the institute does summer courses, if you are not able to afford to attend for the year it might help to do one or two courses there

http://www.ioe.ie/intensive/summer_lc.html

Failing that try to get grinds. I guess the first thing would be to figure out what subjects you think you can score high points in, veterinary was 550 last year. So you are looking at 2A1s and 4A2s type standard or very close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

in tcd you can combine up to 3 seperate leaving certs i think or else something has been miscommunicated to me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

get a full list of courses, entry requirements etc.

the institute does summer courses, if you are not able to afford to attend for the year it might help to do one or two courses there.

That is a positive. A few summer course in biology...do they start from the beginning?

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    in tcd you can combine up to 3 seperate leaving certs i think or else something has been miscommunicated to me :eek:

i would imagine that would be for subject requirements only. Points can only come from one year, although if you have done it more than once, it's your best year points wise.

That is a positive. A few summer course in biology...do they start from the beginning?

Haven't a clue, check out the link they have a brochure on the website, they might be able to give you more information if you contact them

Advertisement