Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land drain problems - help!

Options
  • 20-04-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Any advice is welcome please! I'm installing some land drains in my garden. It's very nearly level / flat and around 10m x 10m. Water pools in several places after it rains. Clay is very near the surface and very very thick.

On the project I've started now, I'm finding some serious clay - I've started digging a pit / soakaway for the pipes to drain into. Under the very shallow topsoil, I've found around half a metre of clay, then what appeared to be a slightly more permeable layer. All the websites I've checked seem to suggest I need to be digging 1.2 to 1.8 metres down - so we kept on digging. I've now hit more clay and we're at 1.4 metres - 40cm doesn't seem like much further to dig, but can I really expect to hit a porous / permeable layer under the clay? It's getting a bit demoralising!:confused:

Am I going about this the right way? If I hadn't dug beyond the first porous layer, I'm guessing I'll still have problems in the long run as there's still this second lower layer of clay and any run-off water would sit above this second layer of clay.

Also possibly of note is that the site my house is on was built around 16 years ago - it is a large-scale Barratt site. There is also a history of mining in the area.

Any thoughts or advice are very welcome - I just want to get my garden to a state where my 4 year old son can play on it without sinking in it!

Many thanks!

Advertisement