Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncrowded pubs with decent atmosphere

Options
  • 20-04-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a pub which isn't totally jammers on a Friday/Saturday night where you can sit down, have a few pints and chat with a small group of friends. Preferably not an old mans pub either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How far outside the city are you willing to travel? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

How far outside the city are you willing to travel? ;)
    I'm in Carrigaline, so south of the city would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

in Carrigaline... The corner house has gotten VERY quiet lately. Not so quiet that it's like a ghost town, but quiet enough for there to be actual seats and actual standing space. Most of the rabble has moved up to the revamped hotel.

The Gaelic is decent too. More of a crowd than the corner but entirely possible to have a chat in there. Cogan's isnt so much of an old man pub anymore since the new owners took over and that's a damn fine place for decent drink and definately quiet enough to have a chat with a group of friends.

I'd forget the hotel, it tends to get a bit on the manic side.

Costigans. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Thanks Rymus, very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

rymus wrote: »
    in Carrigaline... The corner house has gotten VERY quiet lately. Not so quiet that it's like a ghost town, but quiet enough for there to be actual seats and actual standing space. Most of the rabble has moved up to the revamped hotel.

The Gaelic is decent too. More of a crowd than the corner but entirely possible to have a chat in there. Cogan's isnt so much of an old man pub anymore since the new owners took over and that's a damn fine place for decent drink and definately quiet enough to have a chat with a group of friends.

I'd forget the hotel, it tends to get a bit on the manic side.

the hotel has gotten too cool for school these days and the music is too loud.

the corner house is a creche

no idea about the gaelic

cogans lounge is your best bet to be honest. no queues, loads of seats, decent smoking place and the main bar is next door if you want a game of pool against the local sharks.

amazing how carrigalines population has tripled id say, yet the amount of pubs is an all time low.
    you could just get some cans and go down the complex ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The atmosphere in the Gaelic is pretty good actually, never really too jammed. The Corner House has died some death in the past while. I'd agree that Cogans is the best all around one now though. Jesus sometimes I miss Rosies:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Jesus sometimes I miss Rosies:p
    I wouldn't go that far! The new hotel is ****e, there is not one spot in the bar where you can actually sit and see a tv properly.
    In town i'd say the spailpin and cantys, also the franciscan can be a laugh with the right people and when its not too jammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Costigans. Nuff said.

Probably need to get in before 9 to get a seat. Place gets absolutely packed on a Friday and Saturday night after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

ah lads rosies was a hole in the ground my god.
    the corner has changed to over 21s as far as i know now but im not too sure on how strict they are at enforcing that. the gaelic isnt that bad think its the best of all the pubs in carrigaline. the hotel is full of my old school yr which is just off putting. op how old are you?would you consider going to hogans?heard its quite good if just a bit on the pricey side. paddy from the corner is running it now and is good to the locals who supported him in the corner. didnt realise how many boardies were carrig people.

as for town id say the fran. well and the bierhause are good spots. costigans you would want to be in there at about7 to get a seat and forget a chat after 9. the hi b is a good place for a chat even if the owner is a bit daft. the roundy or the raven are a good spot id say if not maybe suas but outside only which can be dodgy in todays weather. the corn sore which used to be the coal quay bar is a good spot act nice cocktails and plenty of space to sit down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Corcaigh abu

Went to the newly revamped/relaunched re-opened 'The Pav' on Friday night. Really nice late 20's early 30's kinda crowd. mIGHT Still might be quietish as only just opened. Lovely contemporary but cosy deco. Apparently they are waiting for late licence and gonna open late club/gig venue upstairs. Evan Dando confirmed to play there in May. Don't be put off by tales of 'The Pav' of old definitely not the same palce or same clientele. Worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Went to Slainte the Sunday before Paddy's Day and it was really nice. We were able to get a table at about 10:30 and the music was low enough that we could chat and bar staff were very sound. I know it's in the city centre but will definitely go back.

I'm a sucker for the Franciscan Well too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

ill 17th the gaelic. somehow i get free sahara nuts there..
    its a good pub just dont ask one of the young guys for stout, i dont think they've even been shown how to pull it. terrible every time. the older staff are fine though.

in town, im going to shoot a little further out and reccomend the whiskey bar over by city hall. where the beale st blues bar used to be. its a great little pub and charlies (also great) is next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Costigans. Nuff said.

The worst pint of Murphy's in the city.

Try Slainte on Patrick street, it's in the laneway to the right of Burger King. It does get busy but nowhere near as busy as other pubs. It's hit or miss most of the time ranging from packed to dead.

Advertisement