Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of cycling to Paris - tips, maps, etc

Options
  • 20-04-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of cycling from Limerick to Paris this summer. Has anybody done similar long trek cycles? Basically I'm wondering do you know where I'd go if I wanted to look for cyclist-friendly routes along the way, like do you know are there any road atlases with cyclists in mind? I'd like to go there mainly using minor roads. Do you think 60 miles a day is a good target or should I increase/decrease the distance a bit?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I haven't done anything like this yet myself but I would recommend Michelin maps for general use in France and the Lonely Planet book 'Cycling France' has loads of useful info.
    Bon voyage!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i'd aim for more than 60 miles a day, at 60 miles it woulde take you at least 2 days to get through ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's only 60 miles to Cork from Limerick city and then a 14 hour trip with Brittany Ferries to Roscoff where you might follow the return leg of the Paris-Brest-Paris. This would be a journey of about 330 miles which could be covered at a leisurely pace of 50 miles a day over the course of a week particularly if you are cycling with your luggage in tow.
    For a bit of variety you might return via Cherbourg, a distance of roughly 220 miles followed by a 17 hour trip with Irish Ferries to Rosslare and finally a nasty 125 miles to get back to Limerick.
    On second thoughts I think I'd prefer to do this route in reverse so that the final leg is done and dusted in a day but it's more than three years since I've cycled sixty miles so what would I know.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i forgot to take into account luggage etc, im a roadie so anything more than 1 spare tube and a portable pump is too much luggage for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭dmigsy

There'[s a wealth of info on touring here

The Cycling France book recommended by Hermy is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Thanks very much for all the tips lads. I'll look out for the book Hermy - cheers for the suggested itinerary too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

60 miles (nearly 100km) would be very good going IMHO. Following the PBP route would be a good idea. Note that flying to the continent might well be cheaper than the ferry though.

Do you have a bike, rack and panniers?

blorg wrote: »
    Do you have a bike, rack and panniers?

Have the bike, there's a rack somewhere in the shed, but I'll have to invest in panniers. Don't think a backpack would be much fun at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well panniers don't have to be expensive. They are beneficial, and to be recommended- they lower the centre of gravity, providing stability- but you can actually do without them if you are lightly loaded; you can just strap a small backpack to the top of the rack. On your back would definately not be a good idea.

What sort of bike is it? If it's flat bar I would suggest bar ends (€10-20) for a wider range of hand positions. If it is drop bar you are good to go.

Have you done anything like this before? 100km/day is definately doable but it would be a lot if you aren't cycling these sort of distances usually. If you can do a 100km spin twice a week without bother I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Bear in mind that the gear definately slows you down, the bike feels like it is going to lift into the air once you take it off. You also need to factor in the terrain (although I don't think you hit anything radical going to Paris) and ideally rest days where you do significantly less (or no) cycling.

blorg wrote: »
    Have you done anything like this before? 100km/day is definately doable but it would be a lot if you aren't cycling these sort of distances usually.

Well I cycle about 30km a day from travelling between home, college, work and training. I have done 100km cycles before, but never twice a week. I'll be travelling fairly lightly anyway. If it looks like it's gonna end in tears I can always just hop on a train, but that's definitely a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

bring sun screen ... it's really hot there in the summer... cycling in the heat is something we never get to experience over here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Advertisement