Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

head gasket -vw passat

Options
  • 20-04-2008 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

paid 5000 for vw passat last august - head gasket had to be done month later. Anyways, it needs to be done again - was goin to try to sell it to mechanic/garage - how much should i ask for? its a petrol, 1 and half yr nct on it, 90k miles
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As it currently stands? Only a scrappie or someone who wants a repair project will take it!
    You don't say the year or engine size which could help swing things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 matt17

ya, i thought as much. its a 99, 1.6. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Are you sure it's a head gasket? - It's possible that the oil cooler is leaking (exchange of coolant and oil) and it's been mis-diagnosed.

well basically, coolant all leaked out so I had it topped up with water for a week or so. Then temp light started coming on straight away, black smoke out the back, car kept conking. I took off oil cap to check and the oil has kinda white stuff in it - looks fairly ill!
    Very peeved as gettin married soon and am supposed to be savin - am down 5G's as id say tis worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You would get white exhaust if the head gasket was gone, and the coolant was coolant was getting into the cylinder - black smoke would suggest you have an excess of unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust.

Don't discount the head-gasket straight away - bring it to a reputable mechanic who can advise you better.

• Advertisement

cheers land9 will contact a mechanic 2moro and see how i get on - will give an update in a day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its worth v little but get it fixed and keep it. That way you are not down too much.

Advertisement