Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I drank on Friday night... what a disaster.

• 20-04-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

So I had been off alcohol for a few months. A really nice guy from work was leaving so I went along to his work drinks thing. I thought I'd have a few as it would be fairly boring otherwise.

It was a free bar all night. I drank at a very speedy pace for about 6 hours.

When I got home I puked on the carpet and all over myself. I managed to catch some of the puke in a pint glass which for some reason I then poured in the kitchen sink.

I dropped my flatmate's expensive smartphone in a pint of water.

I embarrassed myself (not gonna elaborate on this part!)

I spent all of yesterday completely hungover.

My concentration is still shattered today. I have three college assignments due very soon so this is a big problem.

Moral of the story: getting drunk is not fun, I completely regret doing it, so if you're having thoughts of falling of the wagon, think again. NOT WORTH IT!!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

By a remarkable co-incidence, I stayed perfectly sober this weekend. Can't really say anything positive or negative about it. I watched a movie.

Not drinking is fine for the occasional weekend, but in the long run it's NOT WORTH IT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

TBH, watching a movie sounds better than puking.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Another thing:

My concentration and memory are totally shattered. Things I can normally do easily have been a struggle for the past two days.

Alcohol definitely affects your brain short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

What I would add to this is

If you do fall off the wagon(and don't if you can!) be aware your body won't be as tolerant of alcohol as it previously was. You will get drunk faster from a smaller amount. Make sure you're well fed & have plenty of water in between drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

dublindude wrote: »
    It was a free bar all night. I drank at a very speedy pace for about 6 hours.

..........I think i found your probablem. I can hold my own with the rest of them but i reckon a free bar and 6 hours speedy drinking would put me under too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

I thought I'd have a few as it would be fairly boring otherwise.
    I embarrassed myself (not gonna elaborate on this part!)
    Moral of the story: getting drunk is not fun, I completely regret doing it, so if you're having thoughts of falling of the wagon, think again. NOT WORTH IT!!

Haha. That was good, I'd like to know more about the part you don't want to elaborate. LOL
    I've been in a very blurry situation myself too. I got so drunk and I don't remember too much. I was at a friend's wedding and I sat at the table with some very friendly, chatty persons. We had drinks all night. I didn't realize I was dizzy till the moment I stood up and tried to go to the toilet. I was so drunk and I fell so sick the second day. I regretted so much and I had two problems the next day: the sickness and the embarrassing problem.:D Since then I always drink just to feel dizzy a little bit.
    But ...I discovered something very funny. I was in the holidays this year and we went out for drinks. I was the only one that didn't get drunk and I really can say that most of them were so sick. I watched them all the way, it was so fun to see people you know in a way you would have never guessed they could be. I has so much fun seeing them so lost :pac:. Am I evil or what?

Did someone do the same like me? I wish I had a camera to show them the next day. They didn't believe the story.

Am I evil or what?

:)

I know what you mean. I enjoy being around my friends when they're hungover... I must be evil too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

:)
    I must be evil too!

Evil for sure, but there's fun..so... you still don't wanna say what did you do...:p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dattley

Remember where you heard it first folks

dattley wrote: »
    Remember where you heard it first folks

There have been studies proving it's true!

BBC wrote a story about this around two months ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭manic56

I'm very sceptical about this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I think this shows what's meant by the expression "getting out of your head." That's something I never understood; that life is so bad or uncomfortable that you have to leave your mind and body to get relief from it. :confused:

Are you sceptical about the "brain" bit or the "short term" bit?

I think long term excess use of alcohol has adverse effects on the brain, I've seen a few people die from alcoholism and alcohol abuse. You never really see a problem with anything taken in moderation.

It was a joke.Everyone knows alcohol has both long and short term effects on your brain whether they be adverse or not.

Hey Oracle,

most people don't understand it, you're not alone there. Alcoholism is a disease of the mind and body. Most people don't understand that either... for most people a disease is some kind of physical condition e.g Cancer, M.S. etc. Alcoholism is the 3rd biggest killer in the world as recognised by the W.H.O. as far back as the 1960's.
    My last drink almost lead to someone dying.... did I ever want to hurt another human being.... no way. Did I ever intend to drink the way I did, or behave the way I did..... no way. The only way I could stop all of my problems was to stop drinking and get help (because the mind is a dangerous place...don't go in there alone).
    I don't know if I am making sense... I do to myself at least

How did they almost die?

Do you really want to know?

Yeah sure why not,its friday afternoon and I'm bored feckless,so come on entertain me.

I see what you meant but unfortunately everyone doesn't know this hence its the 3rd biggest killer in the world

I think most people do know this,they just chose ignore it due to the potential fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Alcoholism is a disease of the mind and body. Most people don't understand that either... for most people a disease is some kind of physical condition e.g Cancer, M.S. etc.

Hey I recommend you go into a cancer ward/hospice and announce this, you may become enlightened.........

Advertisement