Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flights in South America

• 20-04-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Trying to plan my trip in South America and I'm not sure where the best place is to find flights. Are there any (reliable) budget airlines? As far as I can see once a flight is going from one country to another the prices are much higher.
    Some flights I'm thinking of taking
    Chile to Iquique
    Cuzco to Lima
    Lima to Quito
    Merida to Ciudad Bolivar
    Belem to Rio
    Rio to Iguazu Falls
    Buenos Aires to Ushuaia

But in general, just looking for any experience with airlines in there in general...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

LAN do most of what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Chile to Iquique (aerolineas del sur or sky airline. they are cheaper than LAN)
    Cuzco to Lima (Taca)
    Lima to Quito (Taca or LAN)
    Merida to Ciudad Bolivar (aeropostal or aserca)
    Belem to Rio (TAM, Gol)
    Rio to Iguazu Falls (TAM, Gol)
    Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (aerolineas argetinas, Lade)

Yeah international flights are more expensive than internal ones. like Lima to Quito will probably be around 300 euro. You gonna be spending quite a fair bit on flights compared to how cheap bus travel is. Also i don't think you can fly from Merida to Ciudad Bolivar. You may have to go to Caracas first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yeah, I know bus travel is a lot cheaper and I will do a lot of that too. It's just I'll only be there for 4 months, which sounds a lot at first, but when you start planning it doesn't seem like much at all, especially if you're going to be spending half the time on buses. Also, I'm well used to long distance trains, but longest bus journey I've ever been on was 7 hours. I probably will cut out some of the flights. I'm pretty sure there was a flight from Merida to ciudad bolivar, but can't remember where it was. Maybe it was via Caracas.
    Is there much to see in Caracas, I was going to skip it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Caracas is quite a dangerous place and it's not really that interesting. 2 days would be more than enough. If you do decide to go there be careful. All the warnings you see about the place are mostly true.

Also try carry on your backpack when flying if it meets regulations as luggage has a habit of going missing on the more budget airlines. Especially in Peru and Venezuela.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Actually, now that I come to think of it, I don't think there were flights from Merida to Ciudad Bolivar but to Ciudad Guyana. But I'm tempted to take the 24 hour bus journey, seeing as when I looked up 'Alberto Carnevali Airport' in google, the first result was "World's Most Dangerous Airports"

• Advertisement
Advertisement