Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explaining away gap in CV

Options
  • 20-04-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had to take legal action against my former employer for not paying redundancy and other stuff. It looks like they will settle soonish and I will be free to look for another job.
    The question is how do I explain away what happened? If I leave that shower off my CV there will be a 4 year gap to cover.

What are the best options in these circumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Julie Benz wrote: »
    I had to take legal action against my former employer for not paying redundancy and other stuff. It looks like they will settle soonish and I will be free to look for another job.
    The question is how do I explain away what happened? If I leave that shower off my CV there will be a 4 year gap to cover.

What are the best options in these circumstances?

my personal suggestion is to just include it on your CV, but don't give them as referees. Then explain the situation in the interview, but make sure that it is explained as a "one-off" situation (as opposed to giving the image that you are prone to sueing)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah put it in your c.v. If they ask for them as a referee say you'd rather not as they're are ongoing issues of non-payment of redundancy money. If they insist you can get a letter confirming your dates of employement and give them that. I can't see them having a problem with that.

Advertisement