Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No pressure at taps - faulty pump?

Options
  • 20-04-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Need some advice here please.

Live in an apartment where whenever we turn on a tap or flush a toilet etc... a water pump kicks by the water tank. Yesterday evening the pump seems to have stopped working. We still have cold water in the kitchen as it's presumably coming direct from the main but all other taps (hot or cold) only have a dribble coming from them. Have checked the water tank and it is full and still refills as the ballcock drops. Have tried to reset the pump by turning off the power at the mains but no change. The heating system still works as normal.

I suspect it's the pump thats had it but before I call out a plumber can anyone suggest anything else that I can do or check?

Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have you checked the power to the pump? Is there a switch that has been turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davidh99

No switch on the unit itself, wired directly to a 13 amp fuse in the wall but have changed the fuse thats it's connected to but no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The socket is working?

If it is, it is a problem with the pump, possibly the pressure sensor.

Avns1s wrote: »
    The socket is working?

If it is, it is a problem with the pump, possibly the pressure sensor.

yep, power wise we're good as far as I can see.

Whenever we turn a tap on we can hear a faint click which I presume is the pressure sensor switching so don't know if thats it.

It's a 'Negative Twin Pump' from what I can see if that helps any.

OK, after some more reading up on this, I'm swaying towards a faulty PCB on the pump being the problem.

Model: Turner M330N
    Power supply OK.
    Water supply OK.
    Reset has no effect.
    Running a magnet down either of the reed switches does nothing.

Choice now is to either:
    1. call out plumber to look at it
    2. call out Modern Plant (agents for the pump)to have a look at it.
    3. buy a replacement PCB and fit it myself and see if that solves it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

modern plant would be your best bet,if its still in warrenty they will do it for nothing,if it needs a part they will replace it but 90% of plumbers will just replace the whole pump and negitive head pumps are not cheap,just make sure to have a sob story when you ring modern plant (elderly relation coming home from america etc etc),has worked for me in the past a couple of times;)

Advertisement