Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Branded Europe's Murder Capital!

Options
  • 20-04-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Limerick branded Europe's murder capital

Limerick has been branded the official murder capital of Europe.

The Sunday Independent claims the latest killings in the city have boosted crime figures giving it the highest homicide rate in Western Europe.
    According to the latest CSO data, Limerick has a ratio of more than seven homicides per 100,000 population.
    Glasgow in Scotland, which previously had the highest homicide rate in Western Europe, recorded just over 5 killings per 100,000 people.
    Firearms are a major problem here, with gardaí seizing over 500 guns a year - that is 10 times more than they recovered from republicans during the Troubles.
    In the past 10 years, the number of deaths as a result of gunshot wounds has risen fivefold.
    Operation Anvil, which was set up in May 2005 has recovered almost 1500 firearms to date - most of these were seized in Dublin and Limerick.
    However, despite the rise in gun crime a WHO study rates Ireland as the safest country in Europe.

well done!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=mhojideyeyql&c=

Ah! No! A Dublin Media is claiming this! So heads back into the sand!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus H Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

So
    F**king
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Hmmm. 7 per 100,000 with a population of how many 100,000's..? versus 5 per 100,000 with a population of how many..? Statistics don't show a true picture. "Murder capital"? Where'd that tile come from? When is the award ceremony? Can we turn up and stab the judges?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thought someone would have been picked this up already.

Original article from the Sunday Indo:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=mhojideyeyql&c=

Looks like our city's name being drapped through the mud again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

im not sure why they include the who study that is way out of date now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

Its no shock. We'll get over it. No need to winge.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

there was the a double murder in Moyvanne not too long ago, the population there is only in the region of 500. thats 1 murder per 250 people, or if the population was 100,000 that would give them a murder rate of 400 per 100,000 people. now there is the murder capital of Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Daithi beat me to it.....typical Sindo rubbish (they tried to claim last year that "one more murder and Limerick will be...." etc).

Callan in Co. Kilkenny has a population of 1,000 people, and there was 1 murder there this year.....that's a murder rate of 100 per 100,000 people, which is a fair bit higher than Limerick's 7 in 100,000, no ?

So both Moyvanne and Callan beat Limerick hands down....so much for the level and standards of investigation in the Sindo..... :P

I'd use the phrase "****", but to be honest the Sindo has been a rubbish tabloid-in-disguise for years at this stage! I'd barely use it for toilet paper if I was stuck, because the print would probably leave more **** on my ass than was there before I wiped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Totally agree Liam Byrne.The Sindo is the worst excuse for a newspaper I have seen with the possible exception of the (Anti)Irish Daily Mail and shame on all those 1.3 million who buy it.Worse shame though on those buying the Mail.The Sindo doesn't concern itself too much with any good news stories from outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

I like the way they say Limerick Branded Murder Capital of Europe. like there is some international body who hands out these awards rather than them sitting around and coming up with it themselves. maybe its the same crowd who dish out the capital of culture award???

i doubt many people outside Ireland who has never been to ireland or have any links to Ireland have ever heard of Limerick being a murder capital, or even of Limerick, to say we beat citys like London, Manchester, Amsterdam , Paris is as laughable as claiming Moyvanne is the Murder Capital of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

daithicarr wrote: »
    I like the way they say Limerick Branded Murder Capital of Europe. like there is some international body who hands out these awards rather than them sitting around and coming up with it themselves. maybe its the same crowd who dish out the capital of culture award???

It says branded - not awarded! little difference!
    daithicarr wrote: »
    i doubt many people outside Ireland who has never been to ireland or have any links to Ireland have ever heard of Limerick being a murder capital, or even of Limerick, to say we beat citys like London, Manchester, Amsterdam , Paris is as laughable as claiming Moyvanne is the Murder Capital of Europe.

I never knew that Glasgow has been the murder capital before Limerick became it. You learn something new every day!

Unfortunately it is not laughable if this tiny little town on a small island somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean is to outnumber megacities like Paris, Berlin, Rome or London in the murder per capita ratio!

Neither is it laughable to live in constant denial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I never knew that Glasgow has been the murder capital before Limerick became it. You learn something new every day!

Unfortunately it is not laughable if this tiny little town on a small island somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean is to outnumber megacities like Paris, Berlin, Rome or London in the murder per capita ratio!

Mate maybe you should take the last l out of your name, it would be fitting!
    Murder capital of Europe my arse.
    Estonia has a national average of 6.35 murders per 100,000
    Spain has a national average of nearly 4 per 100,000
    Are you telling me that there are no cities in their with higher than 7
    per 100,000 that skew the results?
    Sensationalist bull from a tabloid posing as a broadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it civilised, Mike....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it your personal mission in life to make everyone feel as bad about Limerick as you seem to feel? Seriously, kids are taught in secondary school not to believe every single statistic they read in the papers. Did you miss out on this, or did you just choose to ignore common sense? By accepting the statistics of the media and rejecting the similar stats put forward (albeit facetiously, yet using the exact same logic) in this thread, you put yourself in a position of having very little in your defense.

Have a look around Limerick City, it's actually not that bad a place to be! :)

Neither is it laughable to live in constant denial

Does the same thing apply if we're simply denying untruths and lies, talkingclock ?

Take the following from Sunday's Independent (and incidentally this was written by the same biased idiot who wrote the fictional article that you originally referenced in this thread, which itself was a reworking of a similar "murder capital" hatchet job by him from last year):

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-avert-gun-carnage-at-funeral-1353353.html?r=RSS

However, from Today's Examiner:

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=61013-qqqx=1.asp

Do you still think it's "denial" to question what the Sindo prints, talkingclock ?

Let me spell it out. Limerick DOES have a problem. FACT. It pretty much affects only scumbags and drug-dealers. FACT. It's exaggerated and lied about in some sections of the Dublin media. FACT (and proven, yet again, by the obvious contradiction between the two links that I've posted above).

I've got to wonder why talkingclock chooses to believe everything the Sindo and Jim Cusack print.....is the Sindo your new bible, talkingclock ? Given that you say "Limerick became it [the 'murder capital']", rather than "the Sindo says it's it", you're taking the Sindo report as 100% fact - how come ?

But help may be at hand.....I presume that given the above exposure and proof of lies printed by Jim Cusack and the Sindo, that you will now start to look at rubbish that the Sindo prints as less-than-factual ?

I mean, there's a slogan that says "fool me once, fool you; fool me twice, fool me", and given that the above links that I've posted are a 1:1 proof that the same newspaper and the same supposed-but-now-discredited "journalist" are not printing the truth ? ? So can I assume that you won't be posting the next fictional instalment from Jim "make-it-up" Cusack and the Sindo here and commenting on it as if it were fact ? I mean, now that you have proof you're hardly going to be that naieve, are you ?

I also have to wonder how many Dublin papers and online sources will pick up on this story / correction / highlight of yet another fictional piece by Jim Cusack as enthusiastically as they did the other ones...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Lads, the guy is quoting the Sindo, why do you waste energy showing he's an idiot, he's already proved it by admitting to reading the Sindo.

Relying on the Sindo for information is like asking the KKK for unbiased racial commentary, a waste of time.

An Fhile wrote: »
    Have a look around Limerick City, it's actually not that bad a place to be! :)

For this: it is a dirty sh*t hole, scumbag central, knacker heaven. that's my opinion. and i tell everyone what i think about this place.

unfortunately due to some family reasons i can't leave that rotten place. and i feel sorry for everyone that has to bring up kids in this kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Rio de Janeiro or Limerick city. Which is more dangerous.....

Lads, the guy is quoting the Sindo, why do you waste energy showing he's an idiot, he's already proved it by admitting to reading the Sindo.

Relying on the Sindo for information is like asking the KKK for unbiased racial commentary, a waste of time.

I'm happy to give the IDIOT back to you. Idiots like yourself play the same role for this city's reputation as the murders and scumbags do.

BarryCreed wrote: »
    Rio de Janeiro or Limerick city. Which is more dangerous.....
    comparing apples with oranges? ireland vs brazil? europe vs southamerica? moon vs sun?

• Advertisement

For this: it is a dirty sh*t hole, scumbag central, knacker heaven. that's my opinion. and i tell everyone what i think about this place.

unfortunately due to some family reasons i can't leave that rotten place. and i feel sorry for everyone that has to bring up kids in this kip.

That's your opinion, and for whatever your reasons and circumstances, you're entitled to it. And by all means, you're entitled to quote or discuss known facts or issues which you were aware of.

Just don't come on here and say / back up your argument by stating as "fact" that something "is" a particular way when the only opinion/proof to back you up is a hugely discredited tabloid-in-disguise.

State facts, by all means, but you'll get no support if you use a bunch of printed lies as the basis for your argument, or post a thread title that is factually incorrect (just coz someone else printed it doesn't mean it's OK to say it - why not title the thread "Sindo says that....Limerick Branded...." ? That would give people a chance to form a proper opinion and discuss what the Sindo printed, and you wouldn't get tarred with the "more lies about Limerick" brush.

Did you read the two links that I posted, and can you see why - despite any problems that Limerick does have - it is 100% accurate to say that there are sections of the media - in particular Jim Cusack and the Sindo, for some reason - that will exaggerate and lie about it to make it look worse ?

And can you see how quoting discredited sources that have an agenda will make you look foolish ?

Idiots like yourself play the same role for this city's reputation as the murders and scumbags do.

COMPLETELY unwarranted comment. Just because you have an ADMITTED chip on your shoulder and someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean you're entitled to compare them to a murderer or scumbag.

Anyone who's posted here has basically said "hang on, you're quoting the Sindo - a gutter rag with an agenda. Quote another - reputable source - to back up your arguments and we'll listen.

Or better still, quote your own reasons for hating the place, so that we can judge whether they're valid enough to tar the whole place with a tag like that.....or judge whether anyplace else would be better or worse!

The "idiot" comment directed at you - not by me, mind - was a little personal
    and unfair, but TBH if anyone is naieve enough to accept - and, worse still, repeat - what the Sindo / Jim Cusack combo print about Limerick is fair game to be viewed as at least some bit of a naieve idiot......sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's exaggerated and lied about in some sections of the Dublin media.

I know I'm being pedantic, but don't you mean national media?

[snip...]

Do you still think it's "denial" to question what the Sindo prints, talkingclock ?

It';s not about one single paper. I'm sick to the teath about those who come "ah, sure, not all bad, majestic shannon, heritage, rugby blah blah bla implicating that life is easy and funny here.
    Let me spell it out. Limerick DOES have a problem. FACT. It pretty much affects only scumbags and drug-dealers. FACT.

"pretty much" isn't "only, isn't it???
    It's exaggerated and lied about in some sections of the Dublin media. FACT (and proven, yet again, by the obvious contradiction between the two links that I've posted above).

That one again. Made up by the Dublin Media. I can't hear that sort of justification anymore!
    I've got to wonder why talkingclock chooses to believe everything the Sindo and Jim Cusack print.....

Do I? Quote me.
    is the Sindo your new bible, talkingclock ?

Is the quote "It's a lie from the Dublin Media" the new absolution?
    Given that you say "Limerick became it [the 'murder capital']", rather than "the Sindo says it's it", you're taking the Sindo report as 100% fact - how come ?

How come? Counting the murders meself. Having an equity with the SIndo report.
    But help may be at hand.....I presume that given the above exposure and proof of lies printed by Jim Cusack and the Sindo, that you will now start to look at rubbish that the Sindo prints as less-than-factual ?

Thank you for your kind offer, but...

comparing apples with oranges? ireland vs brazil? europe vs southamerica? moon vs sun?

Sorry Barry - for once (and probably for the only time) I'm with talkingclock on this one, on at least a superficial level.

The lies that the Sindo printed - and that talkingclock recreated here - attempted to compare Limerick to other cities in Europe, so any comparison with South America is indeed invalid in this context.

Of course, given the level of reporting and investigation in the Sindo, I wouldn't be surprised if some day they listed RdJ as being in Europe.....:p

COMPLETELY unwarranted comment. Just because you have an ADMITTED chip on your shoulder and someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean you're entitled to compare them to a murderer or scumbag.

Welcome to the club! now we are already three. you, that amazing whatever and me.

It';s not about one single paper. I'm sick to the teath about those who come "ah, sure, not all bad, majestic shannon, heritage, rugby blah blah bla implicating that life is easy and funny here.

Then discuss that, and stop quoting the extremes to back up your argument. You opened the thread with quoting a bunch of supposition and lies from the rag in question, so everyone here discussed that. If you opened with something else, we'd have discussed that. You set the topic.

"pretty much" isn't "only, isn't it???
    Did anyone say that it was ? Limerick has a similar amount of "regular" crime to other cities and is accepted as being safer than Dublin, Kilkenny or even Tralee.....again that's not what's being discussed in this thread because of the original post that YOU started with.

That one again. Made up by the Dublin Media. I can't hear that sort of justification anymore!
    Then tough, because I've just PROVEN to you that the crap the Sindo printed was rubbish. So "made up" is perfectly appropriate. Don't criticise me for pointing out to you that the basis for your argument was completely flawed.
    Do I? Quote me.
    You started the thread with a quote from Jim Cusack and Sindo and accepted it as fact. If a paper had a headline saying "Limerick is nowhere near as bad as people make out", would you have started a thread to discuss that ? I rest my case.
    Is the quote "It's a lie from the Dublin Media" the new absolution?
    For everything ? No. For the lies that they do print, Yes.
    How come? Counting the murders meself. Having an equity with the SIndo report.
    So show us how you come up with the "murder capital" title, then.....number of murders ? (nope, Dublin beats that hands-down) Percentage / per-head (nope, there's already 2 places that beat that).....the place you're most likely to get shot (nope, not unless you're a drug-dealer or other scumbag, in which case that would, admittedly, probably be true)

So come on, show us the way that you're interpreting the ACTUAL facts and figures and ignore the crap the Sindo prints.....we can then discuss that without getting sidetracked by the lies or the source.
    Thank you for your kind offer, but...
    OK - let me interpret that statement on the basis of the question I asked; it seems that, despite trying to give the impression that you're thinking for yourself, you're admitting that you will continue to view what the Sindo and Jim Cusack print as fact - DESPITE being shown an example of the type of stunt that they pull ?

In that case there is absolutely no point in discussing the topic with you.
    Welcome to the club! now we are already three. you, that amazing whatever and me.
    Haven't a clue what you mean by that, but then again. why am I not surprised.....

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I know I'm being pedantic, but don't you mean national media?

Nope. The Irish Examiner is national media and they seem to report it fairly accurately - warts and all, but without the exaggeration and lies, and with the occasional good-news story too - i.e a true reflection of the city, plusses and minuses.

Maybe I should have said "Dublin-based", but my statement stands.

Most of the crap seems to be on the Dublin local stations (Spin & FM104), RTE, Independent Newspapers (Sunday World & Sunday Indo), but - to be fair to the others - with the majority of downright rubbish coming in the Sindo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Limerick certainly has a crime problem, anyone denying that is just sticking there heads in the sand, and the murder rate is probably one of the highest if not the highest for that year on cities over a certain size, dublins rate was higher than londons so it wouldnt be too surprising.
    but the media seems to blow it up a bit alright. they conveniantly realeased the murder capital article at a time when there were no killings (those murder figures were released over a month ago) just to keep the negative in the news i guess.

and then we had a pipe bomb blow up in someones garden in dublin which only gets briefly mentioned, same with 3 men getting knifed in dublin last weekend is only being mentioned now. http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0424/dublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have never felt threatened, i have never felt unsafe any time i have been to Limerick, sometimes socially, sometimes for work. i have walked the City Centre at night, never had a problem.Yes there is a crime problem there, but it seems the media paints the actions of a few scum as a portrayal of the whole City / Region.

Advertisement