Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Branded Europe's Murder Capital!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I would still argue that we shouldn't underplay the problem.

If the people of Limerick say that everything is fine in our fair city, well then we may not get ERU or CAB resources, not given extra Gardai resources etc.

As I said in another thread here, I strongly believe that crime is rising in Ireland due to having a weak Dáil (Government and opposition). With a weak Dáil we cannnot have a strong police force and army. The only way we can get the powers that be to solve our problem is to kick up as much fuss as possible.

I for one would welcome branches of the ERU and CAB to be stationed permanenently in different parts of Ireland (Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Galway, etc.).

I think the State has faced and solved far bigger problems than the criminal gangs in Limerick and Dublin. The State survived Civil War, possible military coups after the 1932 election, the threat of the IRA in it's different forms during the Emergency and in the 70's. The state overcame these by having the balls to make difficult decisions and to take drastic, sometimes forceful action.

We need to kick up fuss so the State will solve our modern day problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

I've lived in Limerick all my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. The only way to hit these s***bags is where it hurts. If they can't show where they got the money for the big cars, confiscate them.
    Wide screen tv? Show us where the money came from.
    Big house? Show us where the money came from.
    I have a mortgage and a car loan I have to pay and I work hard to pay them. Why should these f****** get away with it. I saw one of them the other day in a car worth over 100,000 euro. How can the CAB not see this.
    I know this is probably the wrong thread for this rant but these bastards are bringing down the city I love and I'm sick of it. Every time they have a pop we have to listen to the same bull all over again. Pick them all up, put them in a field with all the guns they want and let them off. When the last one is standing put a bullet in him and concrete over the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I would still argue that we shouldn't underplay the problem.

If the people of Limerick say that everything is fine in our fair city, well then we may not get ERU or CAB resources, not given extra Gardai resources etc.

Precisely. I have argued in numerous media about this; the lies and exaggeration not only portray the city unfairly, but they also cause a subconscious "we're not as bad as they say", which carries over into "sure it's not THAT bad".

Tackling the lies about the place is step one and then, once everything being reported is factual and no-one can argue exaggeration or discrimination, EVERYONE will have to acknowledge the facts of the situation.

Burying heads in the sand is not an option, and I have never implied that it is. I just want fair and balanced reporting, and once the precise scale of the problem is widely known maybe then we'll get some fair treatment (although considering that FF + PDs were once elected on a "zero tolerance" policy which they immediately reneged on, it'll probably take a change of Government to get anything done.

Advertisement