Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler trouble

Options
  • 20-04-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I have very low pressure in my rad circuit.

It is reading below 1 bar of pressure. I help build all the houses around me and know all my neighbors have near 2 bar of pressure even with the boiler off.

I checked the automatic filler in the hot press and it is showing the same low pressure as the gauge on my Potterton boiler.

When the system starts there is a loud creaking sound, like an old rusty door opening slowly. Around or at the boiler.

I have screwed the regulator on the auto filler to max to try and get more water in there. Also set the eletric zone valve to flush so it will stay open to the auto filler.

I have bleed the rads.

I donno. I think there is just a little water in there.

Any thoughts.

PS. its not leaking anywhere. And still heats the house. But I fore see a system failure soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I have very low pressure in my rad circuit.

It is reading below 1 bar of pressure. I help build all the houses around me and know all my neighbors have near 2 bar of pressure even with the boiler off.

I checked the automatic filler in the hot press and it is showing the same low pressure as the gauge on my Potterton boiler.

When the system starts there is a loud creaking sound, like an old rusty door opening slowly. Around or at the boiler.

I have screwed the regulator on the auto filler to max to try and get more water in there. Also set the eletric zone valve to flush so it will stay open to the auto filler.

I have bleed the rads.

I donno. I think there is just a little water in there.

Any thoughts.

PS. its not leaking anywhere. And still heats the house. But I fore see a system failure soon

It's not my side of things, but I presume that the "auto filler" is actually a pressure regulator. From what I remember of them, screwing the regulator in, actually lowers the pressure. Is the filler valve from the mains open ? Anyway 2 bar is a bit high - certainly when the system is cold.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

JamesM wrote: »
    It's not my side of things, but I presume that the "auto filler" is actually a pressure regulator. From what I remember of them, screwing the regulator in, actually lowers the pressure. Is the filler valve from the mains open ? Anyway 2 bar is a bit high - certainly when the system is cold.
    Jim.

thanks for your reply.

I have open the regulator full but still am not even getting the the pressure I should. It is mains fead from the feed to the tank in the attic.

I can hear air in the system . I wonder if there is a big gulp of air stuck in the system somewhere and wont make its way to the bleed valves in the rads?

It is normal around this park to have just below 2 bar as the main seems to pressurise the system from the regulator. I do think it is a little high also but we have built 70 houses with same system.

I have lost pressure over the last 2 years. now it is very low

Would my pump be on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

gsxr1 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply.

I have open the regulator full but still am not even getting the the pressure I should. It is mains fead from the feed to the tank in the attic.

I can hear air in the system . I wonder if there is a big gulp of air stuck in the system somewhere and wont make its way to the bleed valves in the rads?

It is normal around this park to have just below 2 bar as the main seems to pressurise the system from the regulator. I do think it is a little high also but we have built 70 houses with same system.

I have lost pressure over the last 2 years. now it is very low

Would my pump be on the way out?

The pump has nothing to do with the pressure in the system.
    Are you sure that the valve from the mains feed is open ?
    The only other reason you do not have mains type pressure is if the regulator is not working properly.
    If all the rads are working properly, it is unlikely that there is a large amount of air in one place in the system - it would probably block off some area.
    Does your house have good mains pressure into the attic tank and your kitchen tap ? Can't think of anything else - Goodnight :D
    Jim.

Advertisement