Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seen an BMW M7 !!!

Options
  • 20-04-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend were out for a drive today in the countryside east of Munich (Poing area) and whilst driving through a little neighbourhood a strange looking car approached driving quite slow. At first I though it was a crashed car but then when it got closer I noticed it had some really strange stickers with swirly designs on it and mat black masking tape everywhere.

It was the size of a 7 series and I could see it was a BMW from the shape. The girlfriend noticed it had grills on the side and when it passed I could see the 4 pipes on the back. The wheels where huge and it had a very sporty body but quite similar in shape and size to the 7 Series.

Did I just see an M7 ???

We jammed on the brakes and tried to catch it (i just happened to have my DSLR with me) but it vanished down a twisty road.

Anyone know anything about an M7 coming out ?? or was the sun playing tricks on me. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There's talk that BMW might make an M7, but let's wait and see;)!

Certainly the Concept CS(which is supposed to give us a clue into the F01/F02 7 series) was using the M5's V10 when it debuted last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

There isn't one. Could have been an aftermarket exhaust system thou on a normal 7 series....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

There isn't one. Could have been an aftermarket exhaust system thou on a normal 7 series....

It was definitely a concept I seen, not an after market body kit, exhaust and wheels.

I've seen a concept X6 outside my apartment a couple of weeks ago (got the pics to prove it).

They seem to be quite common around here for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe it was a test mule for the next 7 series? Car makers have been known to use new models with existing body panels to hide them from photographers especially when they are on public roads.

The next 7 Series is just around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

bmw M7????

74173_450.jpg

• Advertisement

markos79 wrote: »
    bmw M7????

74173_450.jpg

Very very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

May have been the new 750 or something similar if not an M7. Like the 650 has twin exhausts, maybe the 750 has quad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

There's an article in this months autotrader - about the same car you seen, new concept car for 7 series

convered in black and white floral swirls so you cant see body shape with lots of duct tape about it especially on the headlights. wouldnt say it was definetly an m7 you saw, but who knows.

BMW are ditching the 4.4 V8 twin turbo diesel currently found in the Continent only 745d in favour of a twin sequential turbo straight 6.

Also there will be a twin turbo 4.4 V8 petrol which will be the 750i which produces no less than 407 bhp and a not inconsiderable 442 lb ft of torque at only 1,800 rpm and it goes all the way up to 4,500 rpm. And yet there are people who don't like the idea of a forced induction petrol engine:D!

The 740i will have today's 750i engine apparently, so that means 367 bhp and 362 lb ft for it, and I wouldn't rule out the 335i's 306 bhp and 295 lb ft at only 1,300 rpm engine creating a 735i again, while the entry level petrol will almost certainly be the new direct injection 272 bhp naturally aspirated straight 6 found in today's 530i and 330i.

The 760i will continue, and it will continue to have a large V12 petrol, though I'm sure BMW have something interesting planned for it:)! I seriously doubt BMW will continue to use the 6.0 443 bhp petrol that currently powers the current 760i though.

As for the diesels, well the 745d will be ditched in favour of some sort of straight 6 diesel (obviously it will have to be more powerful than the current 3.0 sequential twin turbo straight 6 which has 286 bhp and 429 lb ft compared to the 745d's 330 bhp and 553 lb ft), not that that matters a whole pile to us since BMW never made the 745d in RHD. They're ditching the V8 because it's too expensive and they say that a straight 6 will give the same performance as today's V8 but superior economy. On a separate note Merc is also ditching the V8 diesel in the next generation E-class because of the cost, so I don't know where people got the idea that diesel is cheaper to produce than petrol. Hopefully it now means that there will be something more powerful offered here than the current 730d though! It also means that unless BMW is planning for a 6.0 V12 diesel(i.e. 2 3.0s joined together) which of course is a possibility, then we won't be getting a diesel Rolls Royce or a diesel with the M badge, thanks be to God.

I always thought it odd that BMW's most powerful diesel in RHD is available in practically everything bar the top model, the one car that should have it(btw the next generation Z4 will almost certainly have the engine from the 335d/535d available in it, they're giving it "serious consideration" allegedly which means they'll do it), but that will now hopefully be sorted next year when we get the F01/F02 7 series.

So we should get the current 730d, presumably the twin turbo from the 335d/535d etc giving us the 735d, and there will be something more powerful for good measure. I don't know whether BMW will make a larger straight 6 or just make the current 3.0 more powerful, but all will be revealed over time!

And there will be hybrids too, no idea what.

The new 7 series will be the first BMW (of many no doubt) with the new ZF 8 speed Automatic gearbox as standard(can someone tell me why there needs to be 8 gears, how did Automatics ever manage when they only had 3 or 4:confused:?)

Tails142 wrote: »

convered in black and white floral swirls so you cant see body shape with lots of duct tape about it especially on the headlights. .

That was her, I thought Nokia had a go at it when BMW weren't looking :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I was behind someone using a 750 as a hackney in Limerick yesterday. Had an M badge stuck on it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ninty9er wrote: »
    I was behind someone using a 750 as a hackney in Limerick yesterday. Had an M badge stuck on it:rolleyes:

Ya maybe it was an "mTech" BMW, with M styling etc, a factory option. Plenty of 5 and 3 series Mtech BMW's are out there and they have the badge, they are not M3's or M5's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    how did Automatics ever manage when they only had 3 or 4:confused:?)
    Originally almost all autos were 2 speed.

8 speed is unnecessary imho.. would be better off which a CVT box and emulate gears (if they're not already do it) (Honda Jazz CVT emulates 7 gears).

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

all these gears....
    my daily ride has 6, but my weekend baby has an auto box with
    1st, 2nd & 3rd and does me fine, will admit no real spirited driving, then again that's not what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Isn't the new IS supercharges sport /M3 rival a 9 if not 10 speed auto or something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ninty9er wrote: »
    Isn't the new IS supercharges sport /M3 rival a 9 if not 10 speed auto or something??

8-speed semi auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Does even the idea of a huge tank of a car like a 7-series being given the M treatment not seem a bit ridiculous to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Does even the idea of a huge tank of a car like a 7-series being given the M treatment not seem a bit ridiculous to anyone else?

It does a little, I read a few years ago that there was never an M7 as it would ruin the image of the M cars as fast, powerful and with excellent handling, true drivers cars. The 7 Series is more of a limo, a big comfrotable bruiser, handling would not be its strong point nor should it be for a car in that class. Not saying handling is to be ignored, but if you want a fast, well handling saloon there is the M5!

Although maybe an M7 would go up against the E63 AMG merc etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you could of seen an alpinia m5 or 7 serise... but yeah , was it a stanard road going car or what because you say theres stickers on it ??

also no , the 7 serise , though built for tourqe and comfort was alll the markings of a fast car.... would be a nice alternitive to the A8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

S.I.R wrote: »
    .... would be a nice alternitive to the A8

It would a be nice alternative to the S8 to be more precise. The S8 got some great advertising in the film Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

S.I.R wrote: »
    you could of seen an alpinia m5 or 7 serise... but yeah , was it a stanard road going car or what because you say theres stickers on it ??

also no , the 7 serise , though built for tourqe and comfort was alll the markings of a fast car.... would be a nice alternitive to the A8

Alpina B7
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-02.jpg
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-01.jpg
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-03.jpg
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-04.jpg
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-05.jpg
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-07.jpg
    Like this one :)
    http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/alpina-b7/alpina-b7-06.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'm delighted to see an A4 piece of paper replace iDrive, it's time to get back to basics.

1BMW7int.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I think that car pictured it the test mule for the new 5 series LWB - the & will have the gear selector on the steering column.

The new 5 will most likely be larger than the current model so perhaps the disguised car was the new 5??

Also, don't the M cars only get released after the normal model, so the chances of seeing a disguised M car would be slim, at least until the standard car is released?

Just my thoughts!

Richie.

BMW are not going to get rid of iDrive, especially when Merc and Audi have an iDrive type thing in their cars these days. Don't get your hopes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

E92 wrote: »
    BMW are not going to get rid of iDrive, especially when Merc and Audi have an iDrive type thing in their cars these days. Don't get your hopes up!

I hope they don't get rid of it, I really like it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

JHMEG wrote: »
    Originally almost all autos were 2 speed.

8 speed is unnecessary imho.. would be better off which a CVT box and emulate gears (if they're not already do it) (Honda Jazz CVT emulates 7 gears).

CVT belts can't handle high torque engines (yet).

Advertisement