Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship

• 20-04-2008 4:41pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am surprised there is no thread on this already.I love this time of the year with snooker on daily.

What stage does Ken Doherty have to make in order to keep his top 16 spot..?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Ken should be safe enough providing he wins his first round match and a few results go his way.

Provisional Rankings

Points Schedule

He's 15th provisionally, but he'll only drop out of a couple of the guys below him have a good tourney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Will Allen be the new kid on the block this year ?. Watching the match today, he looks very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i reckon he could be, i really hope ken has a good tourny he deserves it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

dh0661 wrote: »
    Will Allen be the new kid on the block this year ?. Watching the match today, he looks very good.

Looks good alright but I dont think he will win anyway. He is still inexperienced, he takes on to many pots where he should play safety, and I think players in better form than Hendry will punish him for mistakes his makes. This hasn't happened in his match so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Cope and Stevens gone so Ken is reasonably safe if Selby can beat King and he can win his first round match.
    I have to go to the US all next week so I'm gonna miss most of the Quarters and Semis :(
    Happily gonna park myself on the couch in a jetlag heap from Saturday morning to Monday night though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Cope, Stevens, Mark Allen all gone so Ken should be safe enough I'd say. King is currently leading Selby 8-5 so he might knock Ken down a position or 2 if he wins? Ken playing tomorrow morning & evening, I don't know anything about his opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Glenman wrote: »
    Cope, Stevens, Mark Allen all gone so Ken should be safe enough I'd say. King is currently leading Selby 8-5 so he might knock Ken down a position or 2 if he wins? Ken playing tomorrow morning & evening, I don't know anything about his opponent.

King is through now 10-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Can't believe Selby is out, thank god i didn't bet on him. The older generation must be happy if it keeps up like this. Next thing you know Fu will beat Ding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Awesomo-4000

Very surprised Selby is out, he seemed to be the form player. Very hard to pick a winner this year, IMO. For me at the moment, i'd say Shaun Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭[DM] Frink

I cant find it anywhere, when is Ken playing against Liang Wenbo?

• Advertisement

Tomorrow morning and evening

WTF is he doing...Managed to foul the pink 6 times at the start of frame 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Ken is 3-1 down according to the bbc. He won the 1st frame.

Looks like its going to be a long day for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

is there anyplace to watch the snooker live online. Tried BBC but thats for UK only and it does not seem to be working on eurosport.de

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

4-2 down now, had a terrible start and Wenbo had an excellent start. Doherty's play is picking up a bit now.

Don't know what he was doing with the pink fouls though. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What time does the coverage start on BBC2..?

6-2 now....time to put away your cue Ken.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dub13 wrote: »
    What time does the coverage start on BBC2..?

It's all live on interactive, you can get them with a Free To Air box or on a Sky box. Have you got either?

Not sure if/when normal BBC2 show round 1 live matches.

Doherty in trouble now. :(

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's all live on interactive, you can get them with a Free To Air box or on a Sky box. Have you got either?

Not sure if/when normal BBC2 show round 1 live matches.

Doherty in trouble now. :(

I have Sky...will wack it on now.

Its gonna take something special from Ken to come back from this.

• Advertisement

2 - 7 ...goodnight Ken.

I think that's curtains for Doherty. Can't see him coming back from 7-2 down, if he does it'll be up there with the best comebacks.

Wenbo has been exceptional, especially for a newcomer. Very cool, doesn't seem fazed at all. He'll do well in this competition if he can keep his consistency up.

Taylor said he's certain to be out of thee 16 if he loses this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Doherty is out of the top 16 for the first time in 15 years. I can see him nuckle down next season and get right back into the 16. He is still a very good player when he is playing well but unfortunately that does not happen too often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 m4cc4

Glenman wrote: »
    Doherty is out of the top 16 for the first time in 15 years. I can see him nuckle down next season and get right back into the 16. He is still a very good player when he is playing well but unfortunately that does not happen too often
    gotta agree with glenman here, i think itll be a big season for him next year, he didnt play good but cant take a good win away from wenbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he'll have to play very well next year - its a 2 year ranking system and obviously he's done badly this year so starting from quite a low base.

EDIT - looking here he is 33rd on the one-year list for this season. He'll need a hell of a season next year to get back into the top 16.

loyatemu wrote: »
    he'll have to play very well next year - its a 2 year ranking system and obviously he's done badly this year so starting from quite a low base.

is this not the second year of that season? is the next season the beginning of the 2 year cycle again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

The O'Sullivan match is on at 2pm, I think his experience will get the better of the chinese youngster (Liu Chuang) eventually. Great first tournament for him though.

The O'Sullivan match is on at 2pm, I think his experience will get the better of the chinese youngster (Liu Chuang) eventually. Great first tournament for him though.
    yeah great first time i wonder will my score hold up 10-7!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

m4cc4 wrote: »
    yeah great first time i wonder will my score hold up 10-7!!!!

Some sort of a bet is it?

Some sort of a bet is it?
    no just a prediction from yesterday before it started, tryin to stay off gambling lol

m4cc4 wrote: »
    is this not the second year of that season? is the next season the beginning of the 2 year cycle again?

your ranking is based on the previous 2 seasons - he did very well in 2005-06 (he had the best season of any player), less well in 2006-07, those 2 years combined to give him a ranking of 4th for this season.

This year he's done really badly and the points from 05-06 no longer count, so his ranking for next year will be around 18th.

His ranking for the following season will be determined by this years point (feck all) and next years points so if he doesn't pull his socks up he is in danger of dropping out of the top 32.

loyatemu wrote: »
    His ranking for the following season will be determined by this years point (feck all) and next years points so if he doesn't pull his socks up he is in danger of dropping out of the top 32.

What are the ramification's of this...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 j_boy

what's the story with snooker clubs in dublin. Are there any clubs which are intimate, where the tables are cleaned and ironed regularly, and all the light bulbs working?!

j_boy wrote: »
    what's the story with snooker clubs in dublin. Are there any clubs which are intimate, where the tables are cleaned and ironed regularly, and all the light bulbs working?!

The spawell is always kept in tip top condition, I'll be down there later infact :)

• Advertisement

What are the ramification's of this...?

he'll have to play more qualifying rounds.

Top 16 get direct entry into every ranking tournament and the masters

the next 16 (17-32) have to prequalify for about half the tournaments (including the World Championships) - the other tournaments they enter a round earlier.

outside the top 32 you have to prequalify for nearly every tournament - and i believe the qualifying tournaments are quite tough - lots of upcoming, hungry young players, the tournaments take place in fairly low key conditions, usually at Pontin's in Wales. Not much fun for a former world champion and I'd imagine its difficult to motivate yourself playing against teenagers in front of one man and his dog.

Amazing 147 there from Ronnie..glad I saw it live....He's playing amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

147 from Ronnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

Can any body stop O'Sullivan??? Just watched him net a 147 to send him tru to the quaters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Lovely 147! The other players even came around the screen to shake his hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Stupid work.

How long did it take him this time?

Hopefully it will be repeated this evening.

Wow-eee-wow-wow

Just as good as the maxi is seen him make live in 1997.

Amazing.

Dam I missed it.What time are the highlights on at..?

Dam I missed it.What time are the highlights on at..?

Im sure they'll probably show it again before 6 o'c.

There'll be plenty of chances to see it before the week is out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

zuutroy wrote: »
    Amazing 147 there from Ronnie..glad I saw it live....He's playing amazing.

legend

Watching the last frame of Swail v Liang right now. Absolutely superb stuff, like a final. Some comeback from Swail, plays so good under pressure.

Really enjoyable snooker, would love to be in the Crucible for it. More of same in the quarters hopefully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Amazing game now alright, very nervous stuff from both players.

Not helped just there by the position of the replaced ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

Liang Swail game very good what a finish very enjoyable to watch, well done Liang cant wait to watch more from this young player

That was amazing!....The pressure on that brown for Joe was sick...Great pot by Liang though at pace.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Amazing game now alright, very nervous stuff from both players.

Not helped just there by the position of the replaced ball.

Yeah, seemed to be a bit of uncertainty as to whether the ref asked Swail if he was happy with the position. Was wondering myself when I saw Liang going direct for it the 2nd time as opposed to off the cushion.

Liang just pips it. Fair play to him, great credit to Swail for his comeback though. What an entertaining match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement