Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Swansea Cork Ferry - new website!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

A weekend in wales using the ferry for 2 footpax is 200 euro you can fly to cardiff and home for a quarter of that

I agree the ferry seems expensive, but I doubt you could ever have flown from Cork to Cardiff on a summer weekend for €25 return per person. In fact, the Cardiff flights seem to have disappeared completely from the Aer Lingus and Aer Arann websites now, which is good news for Fastnet Line I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thierrys other hand

can you do that with fastnet line?
    25 return per person to cardiff?
    sounds ok

No, it was €200 return for two people on the ferry. My point was that you'd never manage to fly there for a quarter of that price. Anyway it's irrelevant now as the flights seem to have stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

How come it cost me €200 for a single journey car and 2 adults mid season? I think they are also keeping the speed down to save on fuel, it took 11 and half hours, the old B + I used to go right up to Tivoli Cork in 10 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭kub

The writing is on the wall unfortunately, it is a pity that they carry on like this.
    Actually I always wondered why was it that the previous operator of this route just went ahead and sold his ferry without having a replacement first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

While the food prices are steep, even for an ordinary restaurant(and not canteen food), comparing foot passenger prices with airlines is not like with like.
    If you live in Midland UK, and want to holiday in Ireland, your options are to fly to one of the major airports and hire a car. You are limited then to what you can carry.
    However there are a minority of people who wish to travel and have things called "luggage" or "families" and find it easier to load up the car or camper van, and take a ferry somewhere.
    In the past, without the Swansea-Cork link, you got to rosslare or Dublin, and quickly got bored before you got anywhere near cork or kerry(The South East is very boring countryside). The Fastnet Line ferry, unlike the short irish sea ferries, get you to within an hours drive of West Cork and Kerry... places which are not served by an international airport.(farranfore is over 1 hours drive from Kenmare).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kub wrote: »
    The writing is on the wall unfortunately, it is a pity that they carry on like this.
    Actually I always wondered why was it that the previous operator of this route just went ahead and sold his ferry without having a replacement first.

That was in my mind too.

It seems as if they were seeking some kind of elite luxury service, knowing of other business ventures by these particular people.

To make the journey a special experience rather than the means to get from a to b which is what most seek.

Not what many can use in these times.

When we came to Ireland some ten years ago, we flew Ryanair,, simply for the low cost and as we need no extras.

No, it was €200 return for two people on the ferry. My point was that you'd never manage to fly there for a quarter of that price. Anyway it's irrelevant now as the flights seem to have stopped.
    WELL THEN THATS NOT 25 to Cardiff is it ?????????????
    the sooner there is a genuine account of prices the sooner the ship operators might make the ferry viable. whats the point in making up numbers like 25 to cardiff? at 200 return for 2 that works out at 100 each plus fuel,travel time meals on the ferry and possibly extra for cabins or seats.plus weekend return is just that weekend return so its 2 nights of your weekend on the ferry(they're not very flexible with the "special offers".which means 1 night in cardiff for 100 plus fuel.i thinks you might be very lost in the superfunk:)

"It seems as if they were seeking some kind of elite luxury service" thats a really good point and definatly the attitude they give when trying to book, its almost like they are trying to price a certain client base out. which can't be done anymorein this market. Fair play Graces7

I didn't make up those prices. An earlier poster did, that was my point. Read the earlier posts. And maybe take it easy on the caps lock.

To be precise it cost €205.71 for a single journey, car, myself and wife, mid season

• Advertisement

Such is the demand, they are only having 2 sailings each way per week during the winter months, the rot has set in. If they had freight business they would keep the sailings schedule

DanWall wrote: »
    Such is the demand, they are only having 2 sailings each way during the winter months, the rot has set in.

Sailings reduce for winter? What a shock.:rolleyes:

no value for money week or mid week breaks for more than 4 days in winter is a shock and shocking

no value for money week or mid week breaks for more than 4 days in winter is a shock and shocking

Which ferry company do you work for?

if i worked for another ferry company i'd be delighted. i think you're missing the point. many people would like to see the ferry being successful but with these prices (and the very short "short break special offers") it won't be. the company does not seem to listen to feedback and a lot of people who watched the new company get off the ground fell a bit let down. it only takes a bit of listening and a change of attitude from some of the administrative staff and there could be a great service on offer.

Advertisement