Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 projects

• 20-04-2008 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been posted already, but I hadnt noticed a new one of these this January. We've all seen the 2007 one, but this one is a bit more interesting.

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/GeneralPublications/file,14425,en.pdf

Some interesting stuff ->

Most stuff isnt mentioned as Motorway, because this came out before the reclassification.

N20 schemes will be HQDC (or Type 1 as they call it) Edit: this will now be motorway
    N25 New Ross bypass will be Type 2. ( 2+2 )
    N13 and N15 schemes show a RAKE of 2+2s. Most of them, in fact.

But FINALLY we have this.

Schemes on the N8.
    N8 Dunkettle Junction Upgrade - Subject to final design - Planning Stage

They're finally taking it seriously, TBH I thought they had their heads in the sand about this one! Maybe my endless emails had an effect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Whats the 3KM type 3 DC on the Cashel / Mitchelstown section all about?
    X.h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I think its the section of the N24 around Cahir that was built as part of that contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Are all type 1's now what used to be called HDQC? Meaning that we could get them all upgraded to Motorway:)?

Is the old "standard Dual Carriageway" now a thing of the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Come on Chris,enlighten us, what can be done with Dunkettle? Tunnels? flyovers? split level things with lanes everywhere? what about the Rail Line? and the impact on traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Assuming Cork gets it's northern ring road and a complete motorway orbital is created, the most important feeflow movements will be onto and off the orbital. The N8 should firstly run freeflow onto the N25 (or there will always be a break in the orbital) and that could be achieved by a tunnel under the existing roundabout (creating a dreaded three level stack but still miles better than what's there presently). Freeflow from N25 west to the tunnel should be relatively easy to achieve. as should freeflow from N8 east to N8 north but after that it gets very difficult.

Short of a complete rebuild and realignment of the roads concerned, it would probably be impossible to freeflow all movements in the tight space given.

• Advertisement

Im hoping for a new M50 style junction but it'll be tough.

I did sketch it out myself a while back and its a complicated bugger. Unfortunately I also found a radically simpler solution that involves one set of traffic lights on the N25W to tunnel south route :( I lost the piece of paper tho.

They'll probably do something else tho. Hopefully they'll GSJ the Glanmire roundabout while they're at it.

The N8 Dunkettle Interchange is at feasibility study stage and the Authority has provided €0.2m to Cork County Council this year to investigate the feasibility of a grade separated junction at this location. It's too early at this stage to comment on the junction type or the inclusion of the grade separation of Glanmire Roundabout as part of the scheme.

From the NRA today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

murphaph wrote: »
    Assuming Cork gets it's northern ring road and a complete motorway orbital is created, the most important feeflow movements will be onto and off the orbital. The N8 should firstly run freeflow onto the N25 (or there will always be a break in the orbital) and that could be achieved by a tunnel under the existing roundabout (creating a dreaded three level stack but still miles better than what's there presently). Freeflow from N25 west to the tunnel should be relatively easy to achieve. as should freeflow from N8 east to N8 north but after that it gets very difficult.

Short of a complete rebuild and realignment of the roads concerned, it would probably be impossible to freeflow all movements in the tight space given.

It doesn't need to be entirely free flow
    As long as N8 and N25 to Jack lynch tunnel is free flowing.
    The city centre route is not heavily trafficked as the national route entries. At present if the NRA actually funded free left flowing slips on all approaches, it will have an enormous relief on traffic negoiating on the roundabout.

As it will still be many years until the entire interchange is upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

They'd need to do something about that turnoff just north of the tunnel off the southbound lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Where exactly in relation to the interchange is the proposed new station, P&R site and O Flynn constructions new Mount Oval style development going?

• Advertisement

IIRC the P&R will be on the northeast with the station nearby, and the development possibly to the northwest in those fields. But a similar devlopment gor refused a year ago, so I dunno if this one will go through.

The junction upgrade will probably be given priority to use the land tho, with the P&R just fitting in afterward. Or the P&R being built on the parts that wont be used by the junction.

I noticed this article today in the Cork Independent

http://www.corkindependent.com/local-news/local-news/dunkettle-interchange-set-for-major-revamp/

Funny how this article appears within a week of this thread, isnt it :D

Plus the article culls loads of stuff from here.

Advertisement