Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best BB provider? (looking to get away from Eircom).

Options
  • 20-04-2008 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I currently have the 2mbps Eircom package but the speed NEVER gets above 512kbps, which is god-awful so I'm looking to move to a different provider. The only thing is, I've heard a lot of companies just use Eircoms's lines, if this is the case will I have the same problem no matter who I move to? I was looking at both Digiweb and NTL anyway, who offer faster broadband for about the same price I'm paying now. Any recommendations appreciated.

I'm in the Malahide area by the way, some companies don't provide for this area.

Edit - with Digiweb can you only get the 6mb BB if you get their phone service along with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If you are paying for a 2meg and it never gets above 512K it is more than likely a problem with the line rather than anything else. Whats your line stats like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

To be honest I don't know what you mean by line stats. How would I go about checking them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'll presume its a netopia router you got from Eircom, on your browser type in 192.168.1.254, this will bring you into the config of your router. Click troubleshoot, statistics, dsl and paste the results here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are different Digiweb systems. They do resell the phone line DSL. The other system with a phone is "Metro". It's a lunch box sized plastic box outdoors that has to "see" the basestation. Indoor is a modem with ethernet and two phone sockets. Unless it's changed lately all Metro packages at all speeds include a free phone connection (no line rental) with free calls to other Metro users and cheaper than eircom calls to all other numbers. No phone line is needed.

You probably need to ring and complain to eircom if you paying for a higher package. But further from exchange the speed drops.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'll presume its a netopia router you got from Eircom, on your browser type in 192.168.1.254, this will bring you into the config of your router. Click troubleshoot, statistics, dsl and paste the results here

Cheers. This is all it says:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 512 256
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 269 6

• Advertisement

Not great stats,
    SN Margin......higher is better
    Attenuation.......lower is better

Your attenuation is high, 512k may be all your line is capable of. Where in the house is the router located? Have you tried another phone socket for comparrison? Are you using a long extention phone cable to the router?

The router is not plugged into the "master" socket as it were, it's plugged into an upstairs socket. I've the filter plugged into that and there's about a 15-20ft phone cable the from the filter to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

barnesd wrote: »
    The router is not plugged into the "master" socket as it were, it's plugged into an upstairs socket. I've the filter plugged into that and there's about a 15-20ft phone cable the from the filter to the router.

Well I am afraid there lays your problem...

Bohrio wrote: »
    Well I am afraid there lays your problem...

Ok that's fine, at least I know what it is now!

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Plug it in2 your main socket and login to the config to check that you sync at 2meg, what your paying for. Also paste your stats from that socket.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Plug it in2 your main socket and login to the config to check that you sync at 2meg, what your paying for. Also paste your stats from that socket.

Grand, will do it this evening.

All the router needs is to be plugged into the phoneline to work right (and the mains obviously)? Does it have to be plugged into the PC by an ethernet cable? I'm thinking now leave the router downstairs and just connect wirelessly upstairs.

Ok, I set up the router downstairs and tried to pick up wireless upstairs. It only stayed on for about 20 seconds, but it was long enough for me to see it was running at its proper speed of 2048kbps, so we've found the problem anyway.

But then another problem surfaced... after that 20 seconds it disconnected and from then on I just got "limited or no connectivity" messages, and I couldn't get back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

turn the antennae on the router and your PC horizontal to give better signal between floors.

The signal was actually being picked up no problem, it would just get to "acquiring IP address" and wouldn't be able to do this.

Advertisement