Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help!need to escape this summer

• 20-04-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

ok..i'm 17 an i need to get out of ireland this summer!i have travelled a lot and have no fear of leaving home.my main problems are that i don't know where to go or what to do when i get there.i would love some seasonal work or to do soem au pairing.i have been searchign internet sites but its like a maze..does anyone have any practical info?i would like to stay in europe as funds are limited and i can speak french quite well so france is my place of preference.
    any information appreciated
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

there is work for summer camps workers in europe and the states but i'd think you're too young as im pretty sure you need to be over 18. au pairing seems to be the way to go but again there are age restrictions depending on where you want to go. see here. you wont have lots of free time and usually all your given is pocket money, i know that from my relatives getting au pairs.

http://www.greataupair.com/nanny-aupair-agency/AuPair-Age-Requirements.htm

have you ever travelled on your own before? do you have any money saved to fund yourself while aboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monkiscool

yes i've travelled on my own before...i have some money but i don't want to use all my savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

tbh i was looking at the money on offer on some of those sites and its not much. some expected you to live on a 100 euro and they wouldnt provide a place for you to stay. i guess depending on where you were that might go further. you will need to spend some money. if you want to go further afield i was talking to some irish out in asia who like the idea of an irish au pair. things would be cheap out there but the cost of the flights might kill ya lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You could always try travelling to a resort area like lanzarote and working in a bar there for the summer. You would be better off not going to one of the places known for piss-ups though because that could get abit wearing after a while. For example Porta del carmen. Plenty of beaches, sun and people and there is a half decent night life there aswell when you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monkiscool

thanks for all the advice its greatly appreciated..china sounds very interesting an di'm sure i could salvage the money for the flight...lanzorote is also a place i han't considered but i've been there a few times an di think i', looking for something else...any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If you fly to China you can easily pick up work teaching english- I got offers for it all the time when I was there- once all I was doing was reading a book in an english book store and some dude from Beijing Uni approached me with an offer of work. Beijing might be out of the question during the Olympics though- even the hostels are tripling their prices. You could try yhr town of YangSho near Gullin- lovely scenery and quite a few english schools there. The pay isnt great ( around 5euro an hour for 20 hours per week ) but you can certainly live off it. Remember this is technically illegal without a work permit but loads of ppl do it and the Chinese dont seem to mind ppl teaching them english.

Otherwise with your French you could get a job in a resort in the south of France or else just rock up to vinyards and get work harvesting grapes. Vinyards are crying out for cheap labour in the summer and you'd meet some cool ppl. Hard work though you will get a super tan !

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Hi! I lived and worked in Newquay England last Summer. Nice place lovely people, easy to find work and accom, plenty of nightlife, beaches, surfing. Downsides- not much culture and the massive amount of stag nights (think Temple Bar). If you want to pm me I could give you more info.

Advertisement