Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06' VW Jetta 1.6 petrol.

Options
  • 20-04-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Well lads anyone have one of these? My father is half thinking about getting one and was just wondering about it. He has a 01' golf 1.4 with over 180000 miles and is still running grand but not 100%. Thats fairly reliable, though what about the jetta in this case? Anyone have a any views?
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jetta is basically a Golf with a boot and front chrome grill built in South Africa afaik.

There were two 1.6 litre petrol engines in the Jetta, the old 8 valve 102bhp unit which in reality may not feel much faster than your father's current 1.4 litre Golf. This engine is ancient and has been around in various VAG models since the mid 1990s.

The other 1.6 litre engine is the 115bhp FSi unit which has direct injection and a six speed gear box. Much better than the non FSi unit and more economical too.

Would recommend going for at least the Comfortline model as it has more toys. Air con is standard on all Jettas though. Just note though that the Jetta is not a big seller, most people spend the extra money on a Passat and like the Bora and Vento before it, Jetta resale values are nowhere near that of other VWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks mate, you wouldn't know what that Fsi engine is like in terms of reliability? My father will be putting very high milage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have no idea to be honest, it has only been around for a couple of years and is being discontinued now as it has been replaced by the 1.4 TSi engines.

If he is doing big mileage he might be better off considering one of the TDi versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'd have thought the TDI would have been a no brainer for someone doing high mileage?
    Good power and economy, and a lot more refined than derv engines of old...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I'd have thought the TDI would have been a no brainer for someone doing high mileage?
    Good power and economy, and a lot more refined than derv engines of old...
    Thats all they had at the dealer. 1.9tdi was his main choice but might be out of budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement