Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Rugby....mainly because it would stop those unbearable Munster "supporters" who jump on the bandwagon, the same knobs who didnt even follow the sport a few short years ago, and still probably couldnt even explain the basic rules of the sport and yet the fork out loads to go to the games, buy the jerseys, jackets, umbrellas, tracksuits etc etc because its "cool" to follow MUNSHTER.....oh please, do me a favour....i dont actually hate rugby but i HATE these people i f****n HATE them....and lots of them arent even from or born in Munster - I know some of them! Baffling!

I also think Cricket should be banned as should Formula 1 motor racing, how that can be classified as a sport is beyond me....its called DRIVING! I do it every day! What next.....watchin telly will be declared on Olympic sport?!

Rant over, god i feel better already :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sure sure

can't recall the name but the ' sport' that involves sliding a stone along ice while two twats go ape sit with sweeping brushes!!! WTF!!!!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Bowls i cant stand it,maybe it suddenly gets interesting when you hit 60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Baffling!

I also think Cricket should be banned as should Formula 1 motor racing, how that can be classified as a sport is beyond me....its called DRIVING! I do it every day! What next.....watchin telly will be declared on Olympic sport?!

Rant over, god i feel better already :p

It is baffling that you compare racing an F1 car to you driving each day. Truely an incredibly ignorant statement.

Just watch Richard Hammond from Top Gear attempt to drive an F1 car and you'll find out why its a sport. Its incredible physical and there is a lot of technique to it compared to you driving :rolleyes:

If your going to complain about a sport that doesn't require much activity, pick fooking Chess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

sure sure wrote: »
    can't recall the name but the ' sport' that involves sliding a stone along ice while two twats go ape sit with sweeping brushes!!! WTF!!!!!!! :eek:

Curling, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Dwarf tossing.

Its just not fair on the little guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Of the people who hate cricket, mma, dwarf tossing (these seem most prominent) how many have actually played these sports (or participated in the case of tossing off dwarves ;))?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

who won the football today

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Figure skating , gymnastics .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Of what.
    I find gaelic and rugby to be very boring sports and i also dislike sports where physicality counts for more than skill does.
    Ya know, using physicality properly and effectively is also a skill...
    Any sport with the exceptions of probably chess....... Involves some level of homo eroticism as you put it when men play it.

Surely you jest??? Chess is the most homoerotic of all sports. Think about it. You have two men in close proximity to one another with only a small table dividing them. When thinking about his move, each man can curl his fingers around a knight, bishop or King and stroke it casually before moving.

Not to mention the "Queen" who has unlimited freedom, to swishabout the board in all directions. Yep, no doubt about it, GOD HATES CHESS!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Bowls, figure skating, gymnastics, snycronised swimming, anything which involves dancing (if considered a sport), curling (awful, imagine being one of the guys that does the sweeping), cricket (a sport but seems boring).

Also chess (I don't think it's considered a sport but if it is, it shouldn't be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 olympicsin2008

kelle wrote: »
    Football, so I'd see more of my husband. And I'd get to watch Coronation Street more often.

I can't understand why Darts is called a sport. It doesn't exactly involve physical exertion (which is what I though a sporting activity involved). I use more energy doing the knitting.
    of all the olympic sports to name, you've chosen football? now how are we going to work on our beer bellies me lady? :)

if only drinking beer were an olympic sport, we'd all be champions!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Hurling.

Don't have anything against it but it does seem to attract alot of preachy feckers who are only too keen to tell you how all those 'tan sports' pale in comparison to it.

I'd just like to see the look on their faces if they couldn't play it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Tennis and Soccer,
    I would also like to ban the olympics...****in hate them
    genetic mutants fuelled by Columbian Cartels competitin against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

A friend of mine once managed to get a letter published on ITV Teletext calling for the banning of cricket. Some of the indignant responses it generated were hilarious!

I'd leave cricket alone, having played it once or twice on the beach, also seems to lend itself to enormous amounts of beer drinking or effigy-burning among the supporters, depending on what part of the world they come from - cricket must be doing something right!

If I had to ban any sport it would be that perennial Eursport favourite, the winter biathlon. Basically it involves people skiing around with rifles on their backs, then every so often they crouch down to shoot at a target.

I just don't see how they can justify blending two completely different disciplines together, skiing and shooting, and giving it a new name thinking it's a new sport. Why not have a sport where you have to drive a scooter around a circuit stopping off every now and then to serve tennis balls at a target, or mix boxing with marathon running? Who are these people kidding.

Another sport that got my goat was articulated truck racing - another Eurosport special.

While I'm on this ranting at various aspects of sport, why the HELL isn't camogie simply called women's hurling? I mean women's tennis isn't called schmugger, women's athletics isn't called eik, even women's gaelic football is simply called women's gaelic football. The GAA, you have a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

gaf1983 wrote: »
    A friend of mine once managed to get a letter published on ITV Teletext calling for the banning of cricket. Some of the indignant responses it generated were hilarious!

I'd leave cricket alone, having played it once or twice on the beach, also seems to lend itself to enormous amounts of beer drinking or effigy-burning among the supporters, depending on what part of the world they come from - cricket must be doing something right!

If I had to ban any sport it would be that perennial Eursport favourite, the winter biathlon. Basically it involves people skiing around with rifles on their backs, then every so often they crouch down to shoot at a target.

I just don't see how they can justify blending two completely different disciplines together, skiing and shooting, and giving it a new name thinking it's a new sport. Why not have a sport where you have to drive a scooter around a circuit stopping off every now and then to serve tennis balls at a target, or mix boxing with marathon running? Who are these people kidding.

Another sport that got my goat was articulated truck racing - another Eurosport special.

While I'm on this ranting at various aspects of sport, why the HELL isn't camogie simply called women's hurling? I mean women's tennis isn't called schmugger, women's athletics isn't called eik, even women's gaelic football is simply called women's gaelic football. The GAA, you have a lot to answer for.

Don't leave out tractor pulling. :) Speed golf would be fun with a few players teeing off at the same time but probably too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ya know, using physicality properly and effectively is also a skill...

Surely you jest??? Chess is the most homoerotic of all sports. Think about it. You have two men in close proximity to one another with only a small table dividing them. When thinking about his move, each man can curl his fingers around a knight, bishop or King and stroke it casually before moving.

Not to mention the "Queen" who has unlimited freedom, to swishabout the board in all directions. Yep, no doubt about it, GOD HATES CHESS!

:pac:

How about chessboxing...? Apparetnly, it IS real

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Ultimate Frisbee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nualsnuals

golf sucks eggs...........any sport that is not a spectators sport seems pointless to me. against my better judgment tho i really like figure skating.......i know i know im a loser. however the only sport i actually play is gealic football.........ok there is my random rant that was almost completely unrelated to the topic at hand.......vent offically over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 nualsnuals

just to clarify i realise that golf is a spectator sport. actually all sports could be potentially spectator sports if people are bored enuf to watch them or in my case losing the remote can lead to such unfortunate occurances.mmm what smiley face to use no not this time.........

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Balfe

Wacker wrote: »
    What sort of fight are we talking about here? I don't believe for a second that the likes of BJ Penn, Georges St Pierre or AndersonSilva would beat the guys you mentioned in a boxing match, but if you think (eg.) Mayweather could expect to beat BJ Penn (who is about his size, fighting at 155lbs) in an MMA fight, then you really don't know what you're talking about at all.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LCsyGduUvzE

This is what happens when boxers try to beat MMA fighters with just boxing. He taps out before he is even put in a hold!

Technically, you're not correct on this. Royce wasn't an MMA fighter, he was simply a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter. The sport of Mixed Martial Arts didn't really exist at this stage.

I do see your point though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cricket.

Boring schite idea claimed from India by the English and called it their own.
    The only thing cricket bats should be used for is to belt the brains (or lack there of...) out of the players into a bloody mess strewn across the playing fields of Britannia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Poker :mad: It shouldn't be classified as a sport and if i wanted to see a bunch of **** sitting around a table throwing cards at each other I'd go the the local. At least a fight breaks out there and people get excersise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

MooseJam wrote: »
    which one would you, I'd go for golf, bloody elitist knobbers robbing the countryside for their stupid game, I wouldn't even call it a sport

I agree OP :) and I would replace it with the new sport of 'Celebrity Cage Fighting'
    Twink and Louis Walsh would be first up, fighting it out to the death.

Now THAT would be entertaining :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Soccer! To get rid of some of the scumbag followers at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

.......dragging up old threads. Is that classified a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Snooker and Pool!

Dreadful, dreadful wastes of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Snooker,

So so so boring and the commentary is brutal!

Also NASCAR, theres only so much turning left and going straight i can take.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

GOLF - a game of luck...no skill involved.

Advertisement