Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wouldn't so much ban any of them, I would ban certain activities from being called a 'sport.' Darts and snooker and golf for example are simply games that require a level of skill, a little like knitting. I wouldn't class them as sport.
    Sport requires skill, stamina, endurance and nerve.

C'mo, poker is now deemed a sport. That's a joke. Sky Sports actually show this:rolleyes:

Oh, as for the greatest of all sports, it's gotta' be boxing. It requires the most of every element needed by a human

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

shane86 wrote: »
    In rugger there is just too much chance of a comeback to make it tense.
    You obviously never saw the Ireland v Wales match.Soccer - passing the ball around in the backs for 5 minutes is hardly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Sharrow wrote: »
    Soccer, and take all the money and hours that people waste on it and put it to good use doing stuff like ending world hunger and curing cancer.

Ending world hunger?
    Curing cancer?
    Ye could give that reason to ban nearly any sport. Do ye have any interest in sport in general.

In a way it does cure cancer anyway, the amount of people that get off the smokes cause they can't cut in on the pitch as a smoker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

walshb wrote: »
    I wouldn't so much ban any of them, I would ban certain activities from being called a 'sport.' Darts and snooker and golf for example are simply games that require a level of skill, a little like knitting. I wouldn't class them as sport.
    Sport requires skill, stamina, endurance and nerve.

C'mo, poker is now deemed a sport. That's a joke. Sky Sports actually show this:rolleyes:

Oh, as for the greatest of all sports, it's gotta' be boxing. It requires the most of every element needed by a human

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Are you honestly saying that a World Champion darts or snooker player lacks these?

You don't think four day golf competitions require skill, stamina, endurance and nerve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'd ban the bigots. The GAA :)

• Advertisement

Are you honestly saying that a World Champion darts or snooker player lacks these?

You don't think four day golf competitions require skill, stamina, endurance and nerve?

Yes!

Look, almost anything we do will require nerve, but does that mean it's
    a sport?

BTW, other traits I would associate with sport are agility, strength, balance,
    rhythm, poise, speed, power etc. I don't think Phil Taylor or John Daly or Stephen Hendry have ever shown any of these. Their 'sport' doesn't necessarily require any

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think real sports should have proper scores that are clear like "Did the ball go in the net?" or "Did the ball hit the other player?"

If a contest is decided based on the opinion of judges, it's just like figure skating or gymnastics really.

So soccer, tennis, dodgeball, golf are all sports but boxing or gymnastics aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm sure it's been said a million times but fox-hunting or badger baiting.

javaboy wrote: »
    I think real sports should have proper scores that are clear like "Did the ball go in the net?" or "Did the ball hit the other player?"

If a contest is decided based on the opinion of judges, it's just like figure skating or gymnastics really.

So soccer, tennis, dodgeball, golf are all sports but boxing or gymnastics aren't.

April fools was last week!

April fools was last week!

What? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

My most-hated sport would be Horce Racing, but I also very much dislike boxing and any kind of motor-racing (motocross, NASCAR, Formula 1, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

F1 think o' de enviroment! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

Ban gymnastics its a load of crap that will never astound anyone to look at or will never make any news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Any sport that women play. Except tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Soccer, to piss off soccer fans.

That's the same reason I call it soccer, btw.

Ban gymnastics its a load of crap that will never astound anyone to look at or will never make any news

I take this as a joke?

Possibly, the most gifterd and talented sport ever. And so
    amazing to watch

I take this as a joke?

Possibly, the most gifterd and talented sport ever. And so
    amazing to watch

If gymnastics is a sport then so is air guitar. Balance, grace, poise, dexterity even power and stamina - check. But where's the competitive element?

If gymnastics is a sport then so is air guitar. Balance, grace, poise, dexterity even power and stamina - check. But where's the competitive element?

Are you actually serious?

Nah, I don't think I'll bite today, remember, you think any
    sport that uses judges is NOT a sport:rolleyes:

Are you actually serious?

Nah, I don't think I'll bite today, remember, you think any
    sport that uses judges is NOT a sport:rolleyes:

Hey if you can pick and choose necessary traits in order to include some activities and exclude others, then so can I. :)

Hey if you can pick and choose necessary traits in order to include some activities and exclude others, then so can I. :)

Indeed you can, but you are clutching desperately.
    What about ironing or chess or draughts
    or Ludo or snakes and ladders? They arouse
    your interest too?

C'mon, can anyone honestly say that when they watch top level
    gymnasts, they don't see absolute brilliance and extrem bravery?

Actually, it's above sport IMO. It is truly epic!

• Advertisement

Indeed you can, but you are clutching desperately.
    What about ironing or chess or draughts
    or Ludo or snakes and ladders? They arouse
    your interest too?

Ironing is a household chore. You could envisage a sport which required much of the same activities all right but it would probably just be a trick to get men to do more around the house.

As for Chess, Draughts, Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, as far as I'm concerned they are games not sports. They don't require any physical prowess/timing etc. You can play them over the internet, down the phone, by post or by proxy so I wouldn't consider them sports no.

Darts and snooker I would definitely consider sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

i can honestly say that gymnastics bores me to tears. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

soccer...so i could have my boyfriend back!!!also boxing: how the hell is a guy hitting another guy a sport???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

also boxing: how the hell is a guy hitting another guy a sport???!!!

It's the skill involved in being able to hit him without being hit, also outsmarting him by doing things which leave him open to be hit. Also the conditioning it requires makes it a sport

Ironing is a household chore. You could envisage a sport which required much of the same activities all right but it would probably just be a trick to get men to do more around the house.

As for Chess, Draughts, Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, as far as I'm concerned they are games not sports. They don't require any physical prowess/timing etc. You can play them over the internet, down the phone, by post or by proxy so I wouldn't consider them sports no.

Darts and snooker I would definitely consider sports.

Darts? Snooker? My god, talk about boredom!

Java, I have a vision of you stuck to a couch with a curry and a beer
    in hand.;) Darts is a pub game, always has been and usually slobs play it.

What physical prowess does snooker and darts possess?

Take a bloddy look at the players and you will see nothing close
    resemling a sports star. They are ridiculous looking. Darts is a game,
    like Ludo or chess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

The competitive element is in the composition of the routines and the subsequent performance of that composition.

Regarding soccer: To most it's not a sport, it's a following, much like a soap
    opera. They tune in week and week out for results and to see how their
    team did, because if the truth be known, most couldn't sit thru a full
    90 minutes of the crap. Most of it is. You can get some great games and it is a very skillful sport. Women and soccer? Does anyone really believe that
    women even know what the game is about? They follow it and treat it like a soap opera.

Women and rugby: Watched purely for the burly men!

Darts? Snooker? My god, talk about boredom!

I find darts boring but I'd still call it a sport. Plenty of people find soccer/boxing/rugby boring. Does that mean they're not sports?
    Java, I have a vision of you stuck to a couch with a curry and a beer
    in hand.;)

Yeah that's me in a nutshell. Don't forget the beerbelly. ;)
    Darts is a pub game, always has been and usually slobs play it.

Stereotypes aren't really helpful. Boxing is two thugs beating each other up and biting ears. Soccer is 22 overpaid primadonnas diving constantly. Gymnastics is just fancy dancing for children of pushy parents. Yadda yadda yadda. Not exactly conducive to discussion or debate really.
    What physical prowess does snooker and darts possess?

Are you serious? How about hand eye coordination? The ability to control precisely the amount of force with which to throw a dart/strike a cue ball?
    Take a bloddy look at the players and you will see nothing close
    resemling a sports star. They are ridiculous looking. Darts is a game,
    like Ludo or chess!

Ridiculous looking sports star

What does that prove? Absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The competitive element is in the composition of the routines and the subsequent performance of that composition.

Yup, Air guitar is a lot more demanding than most people would think.

Advertisement