Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Blood Sports & Compromise Rules.

Compromise Rules is quite possibly the stupidest sport known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yup, Air guitar is a lot more demanding than most people would think.

Actually, I was talking about gymnastics, but I think you knew that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

walshb wrote: »
    Regarding soccer: To most it's not a sport, it's a following, much like a soap
    opera.

And you had the cheek to accuse Javaboy of being a WUM :rolleyes:
    They tune in week and week out for results and to see how their
    team did, because if the truth be known, most couldn't sit thru a full
    90 minutes of the crap.

Way to go on the generalistation. Have you ANYTHING to back that up with?

I watch in and around 10 games a week, the vast majority of which don't involve a team I support. Maybe take a peak into the soccer forum during a Champions League week and see how many people 'couldn't sit thru a full 90 minutes of the crap'. I wouldn't miss a second of it.
    Women and soccer? Does anyone really believe that
    women even know what the game is about?

Ever been to America? Women's soccer is the fastest growing sport over there and is extremely competitive, played to a very high standard.

Sure the Women's World Cup Final in 1999 was attended by over 90,000 people and the victorious team were given an open top bus parade in New York.

In summary, you're talking through your hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Java, I'll say one thing, you are a trier!

Gymnastics, fancy dancing for children? That's the best I have ever heard!

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the Billie Barry kids?:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tl0kE7Oels

Truly awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Java, I'll say one thing, you are a trier!

Gymnastics, fancy dancing for children.? That's the best I have ever heard!

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the Billie Barry kids?:D

Eh that was one of the silly stereotypes I was listing. Not something I actually believe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

I watch in and around 10 games a week, the vast majority of which don't involve a team I support. Maybe take a peak into the soccer forum during a Champions League week and see how many people 'couldn't sit thru a full 90 minutes of the crap'. I wouldn't miss a second o

Funny then how most on the thread would ban soccer?

I wouldn't by the way.

Here's my view on it. It's a sport, a damn skilfull sport at the best and a sport
    I played for years. My point is the infatuation for the most part is not all
    to do with the actual sport, it's the spectacle, the competition and the incessant following. You are one of the true fans, I would say you are in the
    minority.

You seem to be passionate about the actual GAME. Most others are 'passionate' about the soap opera that is soccer and the Premiership.

Most wouldn't be able to spot a moment of skill as opposed to a simple move.
    They do not understand the intricate elements of the game. It's simply
    a show to follow and keep track of.

It's a show to most of them, a following.

javaboy wrote: »
    Eh that was one of the silly stereotypes I was listing. Not something I actually believe. :rolleyes:

I don't ever remember anyone ever saying that about gymnastics.
    But I know what you mean!

I wouldn't by the way.

Here's my view on it. It's a sport, a damn skilfull sport at the best and a sport
    I played for years. My point is the infatuation for the most part is not all
    to do with the actual sport, it's the spectacle, the competition and the incessant following. You are one of the true fans, I would say you are in the
    minority.

You seem to be passionate about the actual GAME. Most others are 'passionate' about the soap opera that is soccer and the Premiership.

Most wouldn't be able to spot a moment of skill as opposed to a simple move.
    They do not understand the intricate elements of the game. It's simply
    a show to follow and keep track of.

It's a show to most of them, a following.

When you say 'most' do you mean most fans or most people? If you mean the latter then fair enough.

As for the people on the thread saying they'd ban it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were the first ones aboard the bandwagon with their leprechaun suits and chants of 'Ole, Ole, Ole' if we go to the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

That's irrelevant though surely? I mean as a boxing fan yourself, I'm surprised that you'd put any store in what non-fans think of a particular sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

ITT: Everybody trolls everyone else.

• Advertisement

When you say 'most' do you mean most fans or most people? If you mean the latter then fair enough.

As for the people on the thread saying they'd ban it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were the first ones aboard the bandwagon with their leprechaun suits and chants of 'Ole, Ole, Ole' if we go to the World Cup.

You are with me now. Nail on the head. It's people claiming to be fans.This is what irritates me. There are less actual fans than there are people claiming
    to be fans.

It's almost fashionable to support a soccer team. It's madness. There are people I know who are raving about their teams and yet know feck all about the team and don't even watch the games. Then they are in the boozer for the BIG game acting like they freaking care.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Indeed you can, but you are clutching desperately.
    What about ironing

I love my extreme ironing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHE4S-HD3I

javaboy wrote: »
    That's irrelevant though surely? I mean as a boxing fan yourself, I'm surprised that you'd put any store in what non-fans think of a particular sport.

I love boxing and I am passionate about it, but I can fully
    understand those who don't. There are a hell of a lot of boxing
    matches I have switched off thru boredom.

You will get that
    in almost any sport, apart from top level gymnastics.

It's always
    superb. It takes a real real special kind of athlete to make it!

As a sport, I think boxing requires the absolute most from
    a human being to prevail and courgae is such an important
    aspect. It takes serious guts and courage, not like the guts
    or courage to pot the final black in a snooker match; it's much
    much much more intense and deep rooted in boxing.

It's man against man, nowhere to hide and every little ounce of
    skill, speed, strength, movement and mental analysis being required.

And when it's all over, they usually will always embrace.
    They have the utmost respect for each other and very little
    cheating, like you see in soccer or Rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

cricket, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

You are with me now. Nail on the head. It's people claiming to be fans.This is what irritates me. There are less actual fans than there are people claiming
    to be fans.

It's almost fashionable to support a soccer team. It's madness. There are people I know who are raving about their teams and yet know feck all about the team and don't even watch the games. Then they are in the boozer for the BIG game acting like they freaking care.

I think most people who hate soccer hate it because of the Premiership and Irish people's obsession with frantically supporting it.

I love playing the game but i despise the Premiership and people who follow it religiously. The premiership is pretty boring if you take out all the Sky Sports hype. The Premiership is a media machine, proof that you can sell anything to anyone. Its funny when you look at the football news websites you get links to "Get all the Transfer Gossip!!" just like for girls who want to get all the celeb gossip.

I was looking on the soccer forum last week and there was a poll asking would you prefer "Ireland to win the World Cup" or "your team to win the Premiership", i was suprised that this question was even asked and even more suprised to see the poll was 50-50!!!! I think one quoted which was thanked was "I feel more of a connection with Everton than I do with the national team" ffs. If people can't see why people would hate soccer its summed up by that comment.

Hazys wrote: »
    I think most people who hate soccer hate it because of the Premiership and Irish people's obsession with frantically supporting it.

I love playing the game but i despise the Premiership and people who follow it religiously. The premiership is pretty boring if you take out all the Sky Sports hype. The Premiership is a media machine, proof that you can sell anything to anyone. Its funny when you look at the football news websites you get links to "Get all the Transfer Gossip!!" just like for girls who want to get all the celeb gossip.

I was looking on the soccer forum last week and there was a poll asking would you prefer "Ireland to win the World Cup" or "your team to win the Premiership", i was suprised that this question was even asked and even more suprised to see the poll was 50-50!!!! I think one quoted which was thanked was "I feel more of a connection with Everton than I do with the national team" ffs. If people can't see why people would hate soccer its summed up by that comment.

Quick question, do you support the League of Ireland?

Hey, that's a whole different debate. The same people who religiously
    support English teams and would cheer those very English teams against an Irish
    team will then scowl at and abuse the English soccer team. In a word, 'Morons.'

Not all I may add, but a damn lot! I will never understand this ludicrous mentality.
    Hey, I supported United for many years, but never ever would I condone or support United if they were facing an Irish team.

I support Ireland all the time and when Ireland aren't competing I will be fine should England do well; I certainly wouldn't be anti England at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ban soccer.
    Ban hooligans.
    Ban England/Poland/Russia.

And when it's all over, they usually will always embrace.
    They have the utmost respect for each other and very little
    cheating, like you see in soccer or Rugby.

Cheating in Rugby, please explain? and putting it in the same sentence as a reference to diving in Soccer :mad:

I do agree with you on boxing being a great sport. I dont watch it that regularly cos i find most modern day fights boring but last year i watched a season of documentaries on the history of boxing where it showed all the major fights and events in Boxing from 1900 to the 1980's.

There has been some historic fights through the years and the sport has produced so of the greatest characters of all time, where people who have no interest in sport know their names. (Thats why its the sport makes for the best movies)

One of the best fights was Ali versus a guy whos name i can remember (hopefully somebody can tell me, so i can look it up again). Ali was expected to win easy but the fight had gone into the 14 round and both fighters were wrecked and Ali bust up the left eye of his opponent (unknown to Ali and everbody else but his opponent was legally blind in his right eye!!!). So the other boxer continue to fight for 2 more rounds blind against Ali. The fight went to decision and when Ali won he stood up from his stole, threw one fist in victory in the air and collapsed because of exaustion. Ali said it was the hardest match of his life.

Its a pity that UFC/MMA has taken over in popularity but hopefully the leaders of boxing can get organised and bring it back to where it once was the worlds most popular sport.

Quick question, do you support the League of Ireland?

I dont really follow the Professional sport, not since i was a Man Utd supporter in my teenage years and Keano was playing. I never really followed LOI but i have been to a lot of Cork City games, i have friends who are massive CCFC fans so i usually ended up going if they were going.

Cork City had a preseason friendly against Derry in Derry a few seasons back, 5 away fans went to the game...i knew 2 of them!!!!

American Football and Rugby are my two sports.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Cheating in Rugby, please explain? and putting it in the same sentence as a reference to diving in Soccer :mad:

I do agree with you on boxing being a great sport. I dont watch it that regularly cos i find most modern day fights boring but last year i watched a season of documentaries on the history of boxing where it showed all the major fights and events in Boxing from 1900 to the 1980's.

There has been some historic fights through the years and the sport has produced so of the greatest characters of all time, where people who have no interest in sport know their names. (Thats why its the sport makes for the best movies)

One of the best fights was Ali versus a guy whos name i can remember (hopefully somebody can tell me, so i can look it up again). Ali was expected to win easy but the fight had gone into the 14 round and both fighters were wrecked and Ali bust up the left eye of his opponent (unknown to Ali and everbody else but his opponent was legally blind in his right eye!!!). So the other boxer continue to fight for 2 more rounds blind against Ali. The fight went to decision and when Ali won he stood up from his stole, threw one fist in victory in the air and collapsed because of exaustion. Ali said it was the hardest match of his life.

Its a pity that UFC/MMA has taken over in popularity but hopefully the leaders of boxing can get organised and bring it back to where it once was the worlds most popular sport.

I am a big rugby fan but have become somewhat disillusioned with the element
    of thuggery and blatant thuggery in the game. It is getting nastier and dirtier than it used to be. So, by cheating, I don't necessarily mean it is analogous to 'diving' in soccer.

I mean the dirty aspect of the game, the hitting of a defenceless player, the over kill
    on raking, the illegal use of the boot and the dangerous and deliberate tackles.

In boxing, their aim is to hit and hurt, but they usually have so much respect for each
    other. There is very little illegal tactics in the game. It's so noble, yet so
    violent.

Rugby is tough and hard and rough, but the nasty element annoys me about
    it. The cowardly and illegal hits and intent on causing deliberate harm

The Ali fight you refer to involved the other half of the most
    celebrated duel in sports history, Joe Frazier. The bout was
    the Thrilla in Manila in 1975. I didn't go to
    decision by the way. Ali won by TKO rd 14!

Frazier was retired by Eddie Futch, his corner man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Rugby, i cannot believe all the press coverage it gets, absolutely nobody i know gives a flying f*ck about it.

Rugby, i cannot believe all the press coverage it gets, absolutely nobody i know gives a flying f*ck about it.

Depends who you know. I have to be honest, I had mates ring me when Ireland had just beaten Wales and they were in awe. The same guys who slated Rugby. Nobody with an ounce of passion or enthusiasm could have said that that particular match was anything but amazing and pure excitement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

I take this as a joke?

Possibly, the most gifterd and talented sport ever. And so
    amazing to watch

you must be a gymnast:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ban GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I hate the 900 mod-stroke.

Such a fix. Another €50 lost on Ladboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Golf, with rugby a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Golf, same as the OP. That, or hunting. Does that count as a sport?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

E-sports ! What a load of virtual jip...

Advertisement