Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I would ban that Race walking what a waste of time pointless " Sport " it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_walking

Reminds me of that Malcom in the middle when Hal does the race walking absolutley brilliant episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭tommybrennan15

Horse racing I just hate the sport actually I dont know if its even a sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Boxing.
    Because most boxers are either extremely arrogant or downright thick. (In some cases, both)

thats funny - because I thought that that comment was extremely arrogant, downright thick and more than anything ignorant! :D

Gatling wrote: »
    UFC is the best fight sport on the planet ,
    knackers in a cage ,there extremley talented athlethes,
    its proven to be safer than boxing,

ban boxing actuly its unsafe ,8 rounds of being punched in the head yeah how entertaining

*cough*completebull*****cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

Boxing.
    Because most boxers are either extremely arrogant or downright thick. (In some cases, both)
    Arrogance is just a play for the cameras, generates hype about the fight, goes with the territory of any combat sport. Even a thicko should be able to see that

• Advertisement

Arrogance is just a play for the cameras, generates hype about the fight, goes with the territory of any combat sport. Even a thicko should be able to see that

correct, it is rare that you will find a sport where the opponents have so much respect for each other AND the officials.

Especially when you look at the amatuer code where the aim it the "hit to score" and opposed to "hit to hurt" it is possibly the most amazing sport for teenage boys to getting involved with in a world where people are disillusioned with the percieved lack of respect that our "youth" show these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The Orb wrote: »
    UFC, not a sport, televised street brawling, awful, awful, awful.

The fact that you call it UFC shows you have no idea what your talking about. The sport is called MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). So your statement is right but not the way you thought it was. The UFC is a company. By saying you would ban UFC is like saying I would ban the Premier League if I wanted to ban football. I love when people try to talk about a sport they have no idea about ****ing hilarious.

I wouldnt ban a sport but I would bring back topless darts. Now there's a sport everyone can enjoy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

tiddly winks,i think tiddly winks should be banned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Cricket sucks balls, god its like watching a blank wall:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Gaelic football. Game for savages of all sorts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Necrothread athletics should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

gaelic football...and with good reason too... its the only sport i was ever seriously abused in...i mean it is sick the small mindedness of a lot of the people involved in this sport. played for our local gaa team for years and years,we were the townie team in our county and everywhere we went we would have half a parish at the games shouting terrible stuff at us,calling us nothing but knackers and scumbags and that we should stick to playing that "tan" sport we play in the town!!!this is inspite of the fact the majority of the team have only ever played gaa and a good crowd of the team are from well off families...this had been happening from under14 and it would not be just a bit of banter,it would be vile abuse. i have played football(soccer) at a high level and played all over the country from the worst housing estates to plush grounds and have not once been abused the way we were abused at gaa games. and people think it makes you more irish or more patriotic to part take in these sports,ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

flas wrote: »
    gaelic football...and with good reason too... its the only sport i was ever seriously abused in...i mean it is sick the small mindedness of a lot of the people involved in this sport. played for our local gaa team for years and years,we were the townie team in our county and everywhere we went we would have half a parish at the games shouting terrible stuff at us,calling us nothing but knackers and scumbags and that we should stick to playing that "tan" sport we play in the town!!!this is inspite of the fact the majority of the team have only ever played gaa and a good crowd of the team are from well off families...this had been happening from under14 and it would not be just a bit of banter,it would be vile abuse. i have played football(soccer) at a high level and played all over the country from the worst housing estates to plush grounds and have not once been abused the way we were abused at gaa games. and people think it makes you more irish or more patriotic to part take in these sports,ha..

Why not just ban the people shouting abuse:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Defintely i'd have to say GAA too , man how I hate that sport .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Gaelic football. Nowt but men in skimpy shorts baytin' lumps out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

*cough*completebull*****cough*
    Everything he just said there is proven fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I wouldnt ban any sport.
    I hate cricket, tennis, showjumping, some others i cant think of right now, but i wouldnt ban them.

Wait now, i would. UFC. disgraceful attempt of a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gaelic football

I wouldnt ban any sport.
    I hate cricket, tennis, showjumping, some others i cant think of right now, but i wouldnt ban them.

Thats because its not a sport, its a company. MMA is the sport your after. Obviously know nothing about the sport either by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I wouldnt ban any sport.

I doubt you have watched to many UFC matches. MMA or UFC as you understand it is probably sport as its rawest form. If I had to give a description of sport I would show someone a UFC match. Sport involves skill and physical ability. Alot of sports barely test one of them but MMA requires both.

Mmcd wrote: »
    Everything he just said there is proven fact!

solid comeback, intelligent retort - probably too much "ground and pound"!!

solid comeback, intelligent retort - probably too much "ground and pound"!!

What does ''ground and pound'' do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Nightwish wrote: »
    Football. I cannot see how it is entertaining. I cannot appreciate the overpaid idiots that seem to make up a good proportion of the premiership. Put any of them on a GAA pitch and they'd be dead by half time.
    No they wouldn't coz they are professional sportsmen not amateurs ;)

I'd say Gaa. just don't like it. Think it's just a clumsy knock off of soccer. The rules on tackling are obscure, refs never call travelling, easier to score than soccer, less variation in build up to scores... 15 goalies on a pitch! It's faster paced I'll say that. but it's fast paced hoofing at the end of the day.

And I hate the way people go on about it be better because its a more physical game. Ya dont go to a match to watch people fight, ya wanna see the sport played. If ya wanna watch a fight then watch boxing or whatever. I know there's a lot of fairies in soccer but still that such a stoopid point about the physical aspect of gaa

And on another note ya know we'd have more soccer players if less were playing this game, might have a better international squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

MooseJam wrote: »
    If you could ban one sport

boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Baseball & Cricket. Waaay too boring. Any sport really where spectators can have a nap mid way through and not miss anything important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dreilly1990

cricket because it is dull and boring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Cricket. It's not even a sport. Anyone for tea ? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

70% of sports in the Olympics. Throwing a lump of metal around a field and running around in circles isn't a sport ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

MooseJam wrote: »
    which one would you, I'd go for golf, bloody elitist knobbers robbing the countryside for their stupid game, I wouldn't even call it a sport

The garrison game, by an Irish mile. Then, maybe then, we could go into an Irish pub and have a quiet pint and a decent chat with friends and neighbours without that noise blaring on the TV in the background. The rarity of such a simple pleasure in Ireland in 2009 is currently despairing and becoming depressing the longer this trend continues.

Advertisement