Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rugby League. No skill involved at all, you run into people hoping to burst through. Its Bulldog with a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

keano_afc wrote: »
    Rugby League. No skill involved at all, you run into people hoping to burst through. Its Bulldog with a ball.

So, high octane tackling is not a skill? Ball handling is not a skill.

Maybe a few looks at Martin Chariots Offiah in action may
    change your view

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Readin through this thread, it seems as though people want to ban the sports that they know the least about.

Glad to see that ignorance will always be my favourite spectator sport on Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

walshb wrote: »
    So, high octane tackling is not a skill? Ball handling is not a skill.

Maybe a few looks at Martin Chariots Offiah in action may
    change your view

Its just too boring and bogged down. A score in rugby is simply a score, unlike, say, a classic soccer goal.
    Mmcd wrote: »
    I doubt you have watched to many UFC matches. MMA or UFC as you understand it is probably sport as its rawest form. If I had to give a description of sport I would show someone a UFC match. Sport involves skill and physical ability. Alot of sports barely test one of them but MMA requires both.

Lol :) Sorry but cage fighting is bargain basement brainless entertainment for people who listen to Adrian Kennedy and get their babies ears pierced, end of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

keano_afc wrote: »

Fuck,I hate the game but I wouldn't say it was skill-less.
    shane86 wrote:
    Lol Sorry but cage fighting is bargain basement brainless entertainment for people who listen to Adrian Kennedy and get their babies ears pierced, end of discussion. .

It's more properly called 'mixed martial arts' and requires a high skill level and physical conditioning. Unless you can come up with a detailed reason dismiss it, as oppossed to a few pop-culture references and a sneer, I'd suggest you were somewhat ignorant of the subject....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Cricket - It is a ridiculous game

shane86 wrote: »
    Its just too boring and bogged down. A score in rugby is simply a score, unlike, say, a classic soccer goal.

I disagree. Just like soccer, you get some good tries/goals, great tries/goals and awesome tries/goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Rugby. I don't see what all the mass hysteria is about. I get the feeling a lot of people just pretend they like it to fit in. And why the hell is it called a 'try' when you have actually succeeded? Women's beach volleyball. Now there's a sport I can watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

shane86 wrote: »
    Lol :) Sorry but cage fighting is bargain basement brainless entertainment for people who listen to Adrian Kennedy and get their babies ears pierced, end of discussion.
    You seem to be suggesting that MMA is for the ignorant lower classes, yet you're the one that's clearly ignorant and in my experience the demographic for soccer is more lower class than MMA.

• Advertisement

Porkpie wrote: »
    Rugby. I don't see what all the mass hysteria is about. I get the feeling a lot of people just pretend they like it to fit in. And why the hell is it called a 'try' when you have actually succeeded? Women's beach volleyball. Now there's a sport I can watch.

I agree a lot about many simply following it to be seen as 'cool,' or to
    fit in .Especially recently with Munster and Ireland and Leinster's success; but, a fiercely battled game of rugby is a sight to behold.

It's skill, strength, speed, passion, courage and heart all in one.

And, a lot of women are following it and to be honest, they don't have the first damn
    clue about the game and nor do they like it. The just wanna' be part of it to be cool

Same with soccer&women! As much as Rugby is getting hype and hysteria, it pales
    in comparison to that bloody Premiership. It feels like that is never on a break.

The season is barely over and the talk is of the next premiership?:rolleyes:
    I don't know, but when a sport becomes so saturated with exposure, it loses the
    specialness about it IMO.

What is so great about winning ANOTHER premiership?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Porkpie wrote: »
    And why the hell is it called a 'try' when you have actually succeeded?

Cause, originally you didn't get any points for a try, just for the conversion.
    So it was called a "try", because it meant you could try and score. If you missed the kick, your team didn't get any points. They changed it about 100 years ago, but the term has stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd ban GAA in all it's forms.

The pros are we'd lose an absolutely crap sport, and also free up a massive amount of sporting players to play real sports like football and rugby and expand the playing pool and we'd be better at them and actually have opposition to play, rather than just playing the same fu*king teams every year for eternity.

Plus rugby has some great moments!!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'd ban GAA in all it's forms.

The pros are we'd lose an absolutely crap sport, and also free up a massive amount of sporting players to play real sports like football and rugby and expand the playing pool and we'd be better at them and actually have opposition to play, rather than just playing the same fu*king teams every year for eternity.

And the soccer teams don't play the same teams every year? And the rugby?:)

They all pretty much play the same teams. It's planet earth and teams from other planets
    have yet to compete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

walshb wrote: »
    And the soccer teams don't play the same teams every year? And the rugby?:)

They all pretty much play the same teams. It's planet earth and teams from other planets
    have yet to compete!

haha yeah, but you know what I mean! There's no European competition, no world cups, no variety!! Same rivalries since the dawn of time, and no scope for any change in the sport or new opposition what so ever! No international as well as club / county / provincial teams to follow.

The Oz rules / GAA game is a total cop out as well, but is probably the most decent thing to come out of GAA imo. You need that extra element to the game of foreign opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

defo they need to sort out the rules first, far too much inconsistency in the refs!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i'd ban every sport bar motorsports and snooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I'd ban Rallies because of the sort of scumbags it attracts even though they nothing about cars and most drive some tincan with some stickers from halfords and "jap import" type nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Motorsports. Oh, and Snooker. That is NOT a sport.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

yes it is.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/index.html
    its in the sports section, therefore its sports. could send millions of links showing snooker as a sport. dont disrespect the 100% fact the both snooker and motorsports are indeed sports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

i'd ban every sport bar motorsports and snooker.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

/Raises eyebrow.
    This could be sorted by gentlemanly means.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=484

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

/Raises eyebrow.
    This could be sorted by gentlemanly means.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=484

That's the second time today I've seen you refer to the Thunderdome in here. Trying to appeal to a whole new audience are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Rugby

That's the second time today I've seen you refer to the Thunderdome in here. Trying to appeal to a whole new audience are you?

Come over and I'll tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

Snooker needs to bring back a bit of the old character it had in the 80's and early 90's, its a great sport but i cant watch much anymore to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Come over and I'll tell you.

No..they're mean in there. :(

No..they're mean in there. :(

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate synopsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Hurley or Hurling or whatever ye call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

we should ban people NOT doing sport!!
    it would keep scumbags off the street and it would keep weight levels (which arent that bad) down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

TBH i think that at the moment no sport should be banned

Advertisement