Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think that's a load of rubbish actually.
    GAA = 15 players per team = less running than football (11 players per team)
    GAA = 70 minute matches = again less running than football (90 minute matches)

Cue the "but Gaa is on a bigger pitch" comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Gatling wrote: »
    UFC is the best fight sport on the planet ,
    knackers in a cage ,there extremley talented athlethes,
    its proven to be safer than boxing,

ban boxing actuly its unsafe ,8 rounds of being punched in the head yeah how entertaining

I don't like boxing either, except wii boxing, at which I rock.

But that aside, 5 rounds of two men lying on the ground humping each other isn't very entertaining either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GAA. They proved just how backward and bigotted the mindset still is among those in charge with the whole Tallaght stadium debacle. The brawl that was the Dublin and Meath game yesterday has no place in sport of any kind either, and police should really take a look at the actions of the animals involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Anyone who thinks ufc is knackers in a cage, obviously haven't taken the time to research the sport. You tube Royce Gracie, he is a jiu jitzu fighter and in the early 90's he dominated the sport with his brazilian wrestling. He didn't beat the sh!t out of anyone, he used strangle holds and submission techniques.

togster wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks ufc is knackers in a cage, obviously haven't taken the time to research the sport. You tube Royce Gracie, he is a jiu jitzu fighter and in the early 90's he dominated the sport with his brazilian wrestling. He didn't beat the sh!t out of anyone, he used strangle holds and submission techniques.

We covered this already. Noone is saying they're not tough, just that the sport reeks of homoeroticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

JavaBear wrote: »
    But at the end of the day (just a quote to annoy an earlier poster :D:D),

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

PSI wrote: »
    We covered this already. Noone is saying they're not tough, just that the sport reeks of homoeroticism.

Really? I didn't see anyone mention Royc Gracie in this thread....maybe you could point that out for me?

Have you a problem with "homoeroticism", strange choice of words there..."reeks". Anyway it doesn't. Again you need to take some time out and watch some fights. Not all end up in a grapple on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Soccer/Football, whatever you're having. Namby pamby crap :pac::pac::pac:

togster wrote: »
    Have you a problem with "homoeroticism", strange choice of words there..."reeks". Anyway it doesn't. Again you need to take some time out and watch some fights. Not all end up in a grapple on the floor.

Not at all, so long as its intended :)

I've been to a few fights and they are ALWAYS on in bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Personally i'd ban GAA
    Of what.
    I find gaelic and rugby to be very boring sports and i also dislike sports where physicality counts for more than skill does.

I don't think your point makes sense. Hurling is generally regarded as being one of the most skilful games on the pitch, sure its somewhat physical, but skill counts the most, there are a lot of smaller non physical players who are quick and skillful.

I think that's a load of rubbish actually.
    GAA = 15 players per team = less running than football (11 players per team)
    GAA = 70 minute matches = again less running than football (90 minute matches)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Cue the "but Gaa is on a bigger pitch" comments

It is not rubbish, and yes, GAA pitches are much bigger than football pitches.

A GAA pitch measures 145M X 90M = 13050 sq M

A Soccer pitch measures 110 yards X 70 yards = 7700 sq yards (6930 sq M)

So 13050/15 = 870 sq M per player per team for GAA
    6930/11 = 630 sq M per player for soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Rugby, because 99% of people who play it are arseholes. No matter what you do on the pitch in a sport, if your collar is popped and your not Eric Cantona you are a blatant idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

bobsleighing-i dont think people should get an olympic medal for going down a slide.looks good fun though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Women's volleyball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

Gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Why would I ban a sport?
    Why would i want to?

I'd ban the Internet too many people with opinions are allowed on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

+1 more to the Soccer brigade..
    Never understood why, but watching it, or hearing ppl talk about it
    actually actively annoys me.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

nipplenuts wrote: »
    darts

He said "sports", not fat knacker pub games!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Wazdakka wrote: »
    +1 more to the Soccer brigade..
    Never understood why, but watching it, or hearing ppl talk about it
    actually actively annoys me.
    :mad:

over react much?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    He said "sports", not fat knacker pub games!!!!!
    Funeral slash hooks pwns all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

shane86 wrote: »
    Rugby. Again, wouldnt ban it, but I fail to see how people get a rush of national pride watching them beat England in Croker in a match where we dont even get to play our national anthem.
    We did get to play our anthem in Croker....

And at least most of the players on the national Rugby team were born and bred in Ireland. I fail to see how you can dismiss rugby, which has players from all 32 counties, for not playing our national anthem at away games, and associate more national pride with the national soccer team, which is essenatially the England B team and a 3 or 4 genuine Irish players. And I mean, when we do play the national anthem at home rugby matches, much more players actually sing it than those on our soccer team.

I like soccer, but listening to post match interviews from players with English accents is sickening.
    shane86 wrote: »
    In rugger there is just too much chance of a comeback to make it tense.
    That makes no sense....

Anyway, I'd ban greyhound racing. Seriously, what the fúck???

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    over react much?
    Waddya mean?
    Don't get me wrong, I tried to like it. tried supporting a team when i was growing up, tried playing it for a bit at lunch time, even had some of those collect the player sticker books.
    But I just cant do it. No idea why, but when i hear a load of ppl talking about,
    " oh (insert clueless fu*kwits name here) has just been signed to X club for 15 million.. Now thats really going to change how the leage shapes up.."

It just annoys the piss out of me.

Or even worse, when people start talking about the team they support like they are personally involved in all of the management decisions...
    "oh no, well we didn't really try too hard for that match, we are really saving ourselves for the (Insert letters here) cup."

Not to mention the absolutely insane amount of money some of the players earn.
    Yea they're talented at a sport... Congratulations.
    Are they trying to cure cancer?, or Aids?, doing anything to solve the energy crisis?, contributing in any bloody way whatsoever to the advancement or improvement of the human race??? NO! They prance around a field for the amusement of people...
    Yea that deserves a 7 or 8 figure a year salary...

Soccer should be abolished for the simple reason that its actually slowing down mankind.
    Its promoting idiotic behavior, and a gang mentality on a massive scale,
    And it wastes hugely disproportionate rescources.

[/Rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

PSI wrote: »

Any sport with the exceptions of probably chess....... Involves some level of homo eroticism as you put it when men play it.

And if you can stop and watch UFC the skill and determination is awesome and should be plain to see.

Anyway why is the "homoeroticism" an issue for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Most sports are homoerotic. Not a very good criteria for banning them.

I bizarrely find curling quite entertaining to watch.

Of course that probably makes me a steamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

For most of your reasons (excluding bitterness), football really only needs to be reformed. But to ban it? **** that, when it comes down to it, it really is the best sport of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    which is essenatially the England B team and a 3 or 4 genuine Irish players.

I love the way people drag out this line from 1989, when in fact at least 75% of the current Ireland squad was born in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I'd ban that dressage carry on. Making a horse walk around inside a square is f**king ridiculous.

I agree with many of the soccer comments here. I loved back in my childhood when I started watching it, like from 1987 or something, but these days thre whole sport has gone to hell altogether. Many times I have watched replays of where players have been "fouled" and the replay shows them diving. It is clear cheating. Players caught doing this should be punished severely. Also the faking of being in intense pain. It's all so gay.

Salary caps and caps on numbers of foreign players should do the trick.

Kold wrote: »
    For most of your reasons (excluding bitterness), football really only needs to be reformed. But to ban it? **** that,.

Fair enough I should have said,
    Soccer in its current form should be abolished.

But even then, I think (and no offense here to anyone) half of its appeal as a sport to alot of its fanbase, is the outright unnecessary excess. The level of mindlessness, the fact that its a unified common denominator among alot of people that just helps them walk with a certain crowd, and against another.
    Pick your flavor of team?
    They all have a different stereo-type in the perception and the fans.

I mean it cant actually be the game itself that people follow.
    It requires a lot of skill and fitness as a sport in fairness, But not even close to the level required for others.
    Not to jump on any bandwagons or anything but compared to Rugby, Hurling, Football, in fact just about any other field game i can think of requires a more balanced physique between muscle and fitness than soccer..

Damnit cant stop ranting. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

LouOB wrote: »
    Women's volleyball

You're not a guy, are you? Particularly women's beach volleyball...

Now there's a spectator sport.

Add me into the American Football camp. An hour of play time squeezed into a four hour block.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Cricket ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I mean it cant actually be the game itself that people follow.
    It requires a lot of skill and fitness as a sport in fairness, But not even close to the level required for others.
    Not to jump on any bandwagons or anything but compared to Rugby, Hurling, Football, in fact just about any other field game i can think of requires a more balanced physique between muscle and fitness than soccer..

Well I suppose that as a kid growing up in North London, there was a big thing of which team would I support (The team with a trophy)but I loved football from the moment I learnt to play. I've watched Rugby and GAA and hurling and I simply can't muster the same excitement. Too much stoppage, less intricacy and flowing skill. It's the rarity factor that is so great about football too. A goal is rare which just puts so much worth and beauty on it. I don't agree with your fitness argument.

As for the politics of football, well it's entertaining. Mourinho was hilarious, good luck finding his equivalent in another sport. There is a lot of greed and money in the game which does make it uglier but essentially the game.. with 11 players against 11 others is one of the best ever invented.

Advertisement