Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'd ban any sport that relies solely on a subjective scoring system, ice prancing, boxing, gymnastics, etc
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Anyway, I'd ban greyhound racing. Seriously, what the fúck??
    Well at least they're not burdened with some little midget on their backs taking the credit;)
    Jigsaw wrote:
    Salary caps and caps on numbers of foreign players should do the trick.
    First of all soccer isn't really my sport but I can't stand this "professional players are paid too much" argument. Its a form of entertainment and they're paid what the market forces deem appropiate - supply and demand. You might as well make the same point for movie stars, singers. How about a cap on the amount of american/british tv allowed in Ireland or perhaps a maximum of five gigs per year by foreign artists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Supply and demand. You might as well make the same point for movie stars, singers.

Couldnt agree more. They are massively overpaid aswell.
    I cant stand useless people.
    How about a cap on the amount of american/british tv allowed in Ireland or perhaps a maximum of five gigs per year by foreign artists?

What? :confused:

Wazdakka wrote: »
    What? :confused:
    If its ok to have a cap on the number of foreign footballers(entertainers) then it should only seem fair to have a similar cap on the amount of foreign tv/film/music (entertainers) viewed in the country also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Kold wrote: »
    Well I suppose that as a kid growing up in North London, there was a big thing of which team would I support (The team with a trophy)but I loved football from the moment I learnt to play. I've watched Rugby and GAA and hurling and I simply can't muster the same excitement. Too much stoppage, less intricacy and flowing skill. It's the rarity factor that is so great about football too. A goal is rare which just puts so much worth and beauty on it.

I have to disagree. In comparison to hurling, football is simply inferior in both skill and excitment factor.

I will say that you can get a very good game of both, but there is nothing like watching a good game of hurling.

A simple flick, the most subtle of touches in hurling can make or break a score, a match can turn in seconds from a goal, a couple of quick points.

There are scores every couple of minutes or even more often, the pace is fast and frantic, a small slip and the ball is lost and could result in a score from a vast range of places on the pitch.

There are many players from different counties who are a joy to watch,
    for instance the intensity of Mullan of Waterford, the effortless scoretaking of Shefflin.

Also (thankfully) this rediculous diving and playacting that is present in soccer is non-existant in hurling and most games flow freely.

Give me a good game of hurling anyday over a good game of soccer. I'd rather not wait 80 minutes through men kicking each other a ball before I see a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

If its ok to have a cap on the number of foreign footballers(entertainers) then it should only seem fair to have a similar cap on the amount of foreign tv/film/music (entertainers) viewed in the country also.

Ok, Sorry I'm guessing that was a comment about what somebody else said.
    I never said limit the number of foreign players..
    Hell chuck em all for all I care..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

CLUB SOCCER - ie premiership etc. (mainly coz of the money BS!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

foxhunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jeremy Clarkson said: "We erally must do more to rid the world of cricket".

I agree. Here is a well known explanation of the rules of cricket. The explanation is as good a reason to ban it as anyhting else:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I don't get all the cricket hate. Ireland was ranked 10th in the world last year. That's not bad considering the teams only around since 1993 or so. I wouldn't really watch it but I wouldn't mind having a go at it some time.

Those jockeys earn their wage as well. The amount of races they do is unreal. Especially when they're as starved as they are. The horse gets a good deal. Few years of hardship then he just goes off into stud. The mares have better conditions for foaling than you'll find in the county hospital. Treated like royalty so they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm a big cricket fan, especially the Twenty20. Super stuff to watch.

• Advertisement

I don't get all the cricket hate. Ireland was ranked 10th in the world last year. That's not bad considering the teams only around since 1993 or so. I wouldn't really watch it but I wouldn't mind having a go at it some time.
    Yeah absolutely brillliant until you consider only 5 or 6 teams take the thing seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm a big cricket fan, especially the Twenty20. Super stuff to watch.

You'll find that most people who have posted in this thread have made no effort to appreciate the sports they're bemoaning. They just see them on the TV for 10 minutes and go "Whats goin on, this is ****e, too many rules, ...next"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

zuutroy wrote: »
    You'll find that most people who have posted in this thread have made no effort to appreciate the sports they're bemoaning. They just see them on the TV for 10 minutes and go "Whats goin on, this is ****e, too many rules, ...next"

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

zuutroy wrote: »

Yeah dead right. IT's easy to criticise something you haven't given a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ibuprofen

I'd have to say coursing and the hunt as in horses dogs and bugles . Extremely cruel..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

byte wrote: »
    Worst sport has to be curling.

I second that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Global Warming

Whoever plays, supports, follows or is involved with Curling should be shot. Though thanks to Global warming (me) all the ice is going to melt, in turn leaving knowhere to play it. Mwa ha ha ha ha

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=q6x5e1R7iA8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

all the ice is going to melt, in turn leaving knowhere to play it. Mwa ha ha ha ha

[/URL]

They play it inside on manufactured ice so really you are talking out your arse again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Global Warming

togster wrote: »
    They play it inside on manufactured ice so really you are talking out your arse again

Damn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Behead those who insult curling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Coursing is ****ing awful. Can't understand how it isn't banned. The hare gets caught every time.

Foxes run in a straight line rather than circles like a hare and because most hunts are drag hunts once they go off a fairly narrow section of farmland they're home free. Hounds are also spectacularly stupid. I've seen them miss foxes running a hundred yards from them because they're all looking at the ground or blindly following another scent. Yeah, I know it's the same thing from a moral point of view but at least the odds are heavily weighted in favour of the fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

RUGBY

yawn....

even enthusiastic supporters don't understand the rules - well, they can't explain them, which is more or less the same thing.

yawn...

...and it's dangerous for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

GOLF - lazy man's hurling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kerash wrote: »
    You must mean soccer outside of Ireland, you dont really see much Eircom League on tv, you actually have to go to the game:eek: and so it would be a little unfair on those fans to ban it alltogether...:p
    I'd love the eircom league to have random supporters! Wow imagine what all those monnies could do....:D

Your right I do mean that and I'd love to see more money in the national soccer leagues.

I watch the champions league and I loved watch Arsenal matches this year because of the skill and how well they play as a team. A joy to watch. I also enjoyed watching Man U and Liverpool play, the difference between me and the people I dislike is I enjoyed the spectacle of football. I wasn't roaring like a monkey when a team I have no affiliation with missed a shot, I thought aw, that was close, would have been a great goal, good attempt.

I don't understand that insanity of passion for a team that people don't have any link to. Whats with randomly supporting foreign teams with players from around the world and only supporting that team? Its not like the other teams don't have good players. Those people must really like that teams sponsors products or something although Nike do make good shoes /ponders who he should blindly support

PaulKK wrote: »
    I have to disagree. In comparison to hurling, football is simply inferior in both skill and excitment factor.

I will say that you can get a very good game of both, but there is nothing like watching a good game of hurling.

A simple flick, the most subtle of touches in hurling can make or break a score, a match can turn in seconds from a goal, a couple of quick points.

There are scores every couple of minutes or even more often, the pace is fast and frantic, a small slip and the ball is lost and could result in a score from a vast range of places on the pitch.

There are many players from different counties who are a joy to watch,
    for instance the intensity of Mullan of Waterford, the effortless scoretaking of Shefflin.

Also (thankfully) this rediculous diving and playacting that is present in soccer is non-existant in hurling and most games flow freely.

Give me a good game of hurling anyday over a good game of soccer. I'd rather not wait 80 minutes through men kicking each other a ball before I see a score.

Agreed, that guy has obviously never watched a Hurling match for too long as its a very fast game with massive skill and that's what makes it enjoyable to watch. Of course having a home team to support helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

PaulKK wrote: »
    I don't think your point makes sense. Hurling is generally regarded as being one of the most skilful games on the pitch, sure its somewhat physical, but skill counts the most, there are a lot of smaller non physical players who are quick and skillful.

I should have made myself clearer i meant gaelic football, hurling can be pretty exciting, but I'm not really into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Rugby, can't get into at all too much stopping/starting and tumbling for me.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Of what.
    I find gaelic and rugby to be very boring sports and i also dislike sports where physicality counts for more than skill does.
    Well that is fair enough if it is your opinion. I just found it funny that you mentioned Gaelic and Rugby after you made a comment about the eircom league, because most eircom league fans I've met have come across to me as being jealous of gaelic sports and rugby.

I don't see how physicality counts for more than skill does in GAA sports. Whatever about rugby, the GAA requires a hell of alot of skill. You try soloing a ball or balancing a sloitar while someone is taking lumps out of you. Try to get past your marker without losing the ball, its not easy. In soccer it is easy, because if you're touched at all you have a free.

Skill and physicality come hand in hand in the GAA which makes it more demanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

Extreme frisbee. Or at least people who are no good at it. People who like to have lunch beside the pitches in trinity know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Football - for the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Snooker.

What a snooze fest that is, and the world championships are on at the moment. :mad:

Advertisement