Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Thrill wrote: »
    Snooker.

What a snooze fest that is, and the world championships are on at the moment. :mad:

Great to play **** to watch bar the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What sport would i ban?

Olympic springboard diving.

Men in speedos.

:X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

brim4brim wrote: »
    Of course having a home team to support helps :D

;)

I should have made myself clearer i meant gaelic football, hurling can be pretty exciting, but I'm not really into it.

Ah no bother man, i'm inclined to agree on the gaelic football anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 abbie

running. what kind of sport is that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Golf if only to convert all the courses to public parks

just look at a map of dublin most of the green space, is private

As for cricket http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6457689.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I think cow tipping should be banned, Main sport of Co,Longford;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I really dislike Olympic Handball. :mad:

Also- I can't stand Field Hockey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    After reading this I have come to the conclusion that the whole post is either ignorance or a poor attempt at trolling

UFC is as schwartastic as Argos mens jewellery, DJ Rankin, his and hers matching tracksuits, and getting your babys ears pierced. End of.
    try spend some time with UFC fighters. i guarantee you will not come away thinking that if you do.

I dont doubt I would get a hiding.

Id also get a hiding off the muscled heavyweight actors who "fight" in the WWF.

Or off the bulky but overweight middle aged men in the gypsy fighting videos on youtube.

What I also dont doubt is that nobody from the above 3 groups would last more than two rounds with Hatton, Mayweather or Calzaghae.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    We did get to play our anthem in Croker....

Did we? Fair enough. But the fairweather bandwagoning of it since it went to Croker is something else. Everyone is a rugger expert these days. Five years ago in school I doubt more than a quarter of the lads had an active interest.
    And at least most of the players on the national Rugby team were born and bred in Ireland. I fail to see how you can dismiss rugby, which has players from all 32 counties, for not playing our national anthem at away games, and associate more national pride with the national soccer team, which is essenatially the England B team and a 3 or 4 genuine Irish players.

In the average Irish game since the last qualifiers began in late 2006, of 14 players who would get game time on a given night, only three regulars (Carsley, Kilbane and McGeady) were non Irish born. Steve Finnan has an English accent from growing up there, but was born here. 3 out of 14 considering England has nearly as many young men eligible under the rules to play for us as we have living here, it isnt exactly an overwhelming majority. And at least we have a genuine reason for calling them up, unlike some national teams that give passports to Brazillians playing in their domestic leagues.

Another thing that confuses me about the surge in national patriotism and thats for 800 years yis bastids feeling that envelops when we beat the English in rugby......they go on that joint Lions Tour ffs! Leaving the whole nation v nation rivalry meaningless. You dont get Dutch-German, Italian-French and Swedish-Danish football exhibition teams touring do you. Nevermind a joint Ireland-England football squad, can you really imagine a Scottish football player/fan supporting a linked up team with down south?

Anyway, I'd ban greyhound racing. Seriously, what the fúck???

pfft. The dog track is a great night out.

And Man About Dog would have never been made! Meaning Pat Shortt would never have got to be funny in something bar Father Ted (certainly wasnt his stand up. Jaysus :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Mayweather was challenged to have a MMA fight. Still hasn't responded.

I defy you or anyone for that matter to tell me MMA isn't a sport. Something that incorporates aspects of boxing, kick boxing, (real/olympic) wrestling, ju jistsu and many other combat sports is even in the same galaxy as youtube videos of toughmen or wwe

Chuck Liddell probably the most famous MMA fighter there is. What was he before he competed in MMA. An accountant.

Grappling is a major aspect of MMA. Now if you don't like the the sport because you don't like watching grappling that's fair enough. But do not try to dismiss grappling one of the oldest sports in the world as being any less legit than boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

apoch632 wrote: »
    Mayweather was challenged to have a MMA fight. Still hasn't responded

Maybe the high kicking and general 80s breakdancing isnt his style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Is kicking not an aspect of fighting.
    How many of the traditional martial arts incorporate kicking

As I said early (and shamelessly ripped off from Joe Rogan)

Boxing in the sport and art of punching, MMA is the sport and art of fighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

shane86 wrote: »
    Did we? Fair enough. But the fairweather bandwagoning of it since it went to Croker is something else. Everyone is a rugger expert these days. Five years ago in school I doubt more than a quarter of the lads had an active interest.
    So? It's not like people once used to analyse all the potential sports available to them and choose to support soccer for being the best game around, yet now they just jump on the rugby bandwagon. People always jump on the bandwagon of whatever sport is popular at the moment, big deal.
    In the average Irish game since the last qualifiers began in late 2006, of 14 players who would get game time on a given night, only three regulars (Carsley, Kilbane and McGeady) were non Irish born. Steve Finnan has an English accent from growing up there, but was born here. 3 out of 14 considering England has nearly as many young men eligible under the rules to play for us as we have living here, it isnt exactly an overwhelming majority. And at least we have a genuine reason for calling them up, unlike some national teams that give passports to Brazillians playing in their domestic leagues.
    True, but the scenario was a little different in our "glory years". In any case, it was just a jibe since you dismissed rugby as having no sense of national pride.
    Another thing that confuses me about the surge in national patriotism and thats for 800 years yis bastids feeling that envelops when we beat the English in rugby......they go on that joint Lions Tour ffs! Leaving the whole nation v nation rivalry meaningless.
    As opposed to our soccer players who play their club football in England and represent English clubs in Europe? Here's a little fact for you: Despite the fact that our rugby players could earn much more money playing in England or France, the vast majority stay at home and represent their province. Though none of that matters. The fact is, things like loyalty to one's country and rivalry systems just work a little differently in rugby and soccer, doesn't mean either has less national pride associated with it.
    can you really imagine a Scottish football player/fan supporting a linked up team with down south?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_football_team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I would ban rugby, solely to see what replaced it in nouveau-riche subculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I really dislike Olympic Handball. :mad:

:confused: Why?

It's a great sport. Love playing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 I Shot J.R.

Synchronised Swimming
    More of a way of not dying but floating in perfect unison than a sport, goes in the same category of "sports" as:
    Breathing,
    Not getting hit by a bus.
    Not a big fan of Nascar either,just the highlights on When Sport Goes Bad.
    Biathlon too,ski for miles,fire a few shots,ski more,shoot more....that's called survival in some countries. Why don't they just ring Dominos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

PSI wrote: »
    True story, I once accidentally broke the collar bone of a guy in a taijutsu sparring class. He's now fighting welterweight UFC.

What happened, he fell over your gym bag?..

Taijutsu :rolleyes:

UFC :D

Shane86 - I think your a troll.

However I'd still like to invite you along to meet some Irish MMA athletes, and maybe even train with us to see if it changes your views on MMA (which is what most people mean when they say "UFC" fighting). PM me if your interested or drop over to the SELF DEFENCE & MARTIAL ARTS FORUM

Here's a recent Irish event, you could meet and train with these lads Shane

As for banning sports, I love all kinds of competition but what bores me most is Soccer.

Once you understand Cricket its a fantastic game.

Even curling can be exciting.

I think lads get mixed up with athetisim and sport as a competition. Darts players can hardly be described as athletes however its still a hugely competitive sport.

My 2cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Fat Man Mud Wrestling ...uh... I mean "Rugby"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hyper Culchie Fighting

Or Hurling as it's sometimes called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'd also like to say cricket is great, you should give it some time next time you are flicking through the stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Blood "sports" and bull fighting. Anybody who gets pleasure out of abusing animals and calling it sport has big problems.

Also horse racing, particularly the Grand National. Horses are trusting animals and people involved in horse racing abuse that trust by making them jump over impossibly high fences and pretending to be sympathetic when they break a leg and have to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

bull fighting and any blood sports & three legged races

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

bull fighting and any blood sports & three legged races

We were diqualified once from a three legged race because the rope came loose and we were able to move a lot more independently than the other teams.

The teacher tied the rope though so how was it our fault?

The same day, we got disqualifed from a wheelbarrow race because we fell over the line.

We were winning anyway, what difference did it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Special Olympic boxing is pretty barbaric...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mairt wrote: »
    Even curling can be exciting.

My 2cent.

:eek: Now I know your joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

What I also dont doubt is that nobody from the above 3 groups would last more than two rounds with Hatton, Mayweather or Calzaghae.

What sort of fight are we talking about here? I don't believe for a second that the likes of BJ Penn, Georges St Pierre or AndersonSilva would beat the guys you mentioned in a boxing match, but if you think (eg.) Mayweather could expect to beat BJ Penn (who is about his size, fighting at 155lbs) in an MMA fight, then you really don't know what you're talking about at all.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LCsyGduUvzE

This is what happens when boxers try to beat MMA fighters with just boxing. He taps out before he is even put in a hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

People keep saying, GAA players could beat soccer, boxers/MMA and so on.
    To say that one opponent from one sport could out-class another from a different sport is completely dumb. The point of sports is that the person is skilled in their particular field, and like with like compete against each other, you cannot compare one to another and expect to be taken seriously:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

PaulKK wrote: »
    ;)Ah no bother man, i'm inclined to agree on the gaelic football anyway :p

Well, You are from kilkenny afterall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kerash wrote: »
    People keep saying, GAA players could beat soccer, boxers/MMA and so on.
    To say that one opponent from one sport could out-class another from a different sport is completely dumb. The point of sports is that the person is skilled in their particular field, and like with like compete against each other, you cannot compare one to another and expect to be taken seriously:rolleyes:

exactly. It's like saying that ryan giggs would beat stephen hendry because he'd just hop up on the snooker table and kick the balls in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Your link says:
    "The English FA now remains the only UK Football Association willing to take part."

I lolled.

Could easily replace "Football Association" and "FA" with "Government" I reckon.

Advertisement