Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Cheese rolling...Far too many injuries these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Karlusss wrote: »
    Your link says:
    "The English FA now remains the only UK Football Association willing to take part."

I lolled.

Could easily replace "Football Association" and "FA" with "Government" I reckon.
    Not really, it's to do with whether the other nations' status as independant teams would be affected in FIFA's eyes.

And it doesn't change the fact that they played together as one team for almost 70 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

MYOB wrote: »
    Gaelic Football, because there might be some money left for other sports grants then.

I'm with you there, were pissing away a load of money on the GAA and they give nothing back to the players after they do all the work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Rugby League, Fvck off ye girliemen tis not a real sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

also, I should say cricket.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

None.

But I'd ban professionalism in all sports for competitors, management and organizers. Basically all sports should be allowed but nobody should make a profit out of them.

Sure, the standard of the various sports would decline greatly if the likes of Wayne Rooney, Tiger Woods, Brian O' Driscoll etc. all had to earn a salary to pay their way in life but is making millionaires out of boys because they have a little talent with a ball really a worthwhile investment of mankind's resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :confused: Why?

It's a great sport. Love playing it
    I tried to play it a few times... just found it so slow and irritating really! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

meh....

/writes lists of all who have contributed to the thread and bans from sports cat....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Don't know why there's so much hatred towards cricket - it's not a sport anyway, it's an excuse to sit round in the sunshine on a sunny afternoon having a picnic. You can tell it's not a sport because you're not expected to know what the score is.

I'd ban.... ehh... balls I can't choose just one.

Oh yes I can - I choose the one where they're all chasing round the grass after the sphere. That covers football, GAA and hurling. Scumbags and arseholes the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    exactly. It's like saying that ryan giggs would beat stephen hendry because he'd just hop up on the snooker table and kick the balls in

I'd watch that.

For a couple of minutes anyway.

Then remember that they probably took Top Gear off that night to show it and get really pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

all of them:

soccer/football/other ball sports: running around a field after a sack of air

hurling: running around a field with a stick in your hand after a small spherical leather object

atlethics: running around a field

golf: hitting a small white ball with an iron bar in the hope of gettin into a small hole some 500 yards away, whilst walking through multiple fields

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sleepy wrote: »
    None.

But I'd ban professionalism in all sports for competitors, management and organizers. Basically all sports should be allowed but nobody should make a profit out of them.

Sure, the standard of the various sports would decline greatly if the likes of Wayne Rooney, Tiger Woods, Brian O' Driscoll etc. all had to earn a salary to pay their way in life but is making millionaires out of boys because they have a little talent with a ball really a worthwhile investment of mankind's resources?

You're just jealous because nobody picked you for their team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

taidghbaby wrote: »
    all of them:

soccer/football/other ball sports: running around a field after a sack of air

hurling: running around a field with a stick in your hand after a small spherical leather object

golf: hitting a small white ball with an iron bar in the hope of gettin into a small hole some 500 yards away, whilst walking through multiple fields

etc etc

And rollercoasters: A load of men going up and down on a big metal track shouting.

Oh and +1 for Cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Ice skating/Gymnastics/Diving. Sorry cant choose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

shane86 wrote: »
    What I also dont doubt is that nobody from the above 3 groups would last more than two rounds with Hatton, Mayweather or Calzaghae.

Thats the beauty of MMA events if you believe your technique/martial art is superior you are more that free to step up to the mark and prove it

Many MMA competitors train in boxing/Muay Thai to provide striking techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

taidghbaby wrote: »

Sorry, you can't ban something you can't spell. Dems de roolz.

Golf is out too, since it's not a sport.

Cricket, any game you stop to have tea is just wrong:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

oblivious wrote: »
    Cricket, any game you stop to have tea is just wrong:p
    Ya haven't lived until you've stopped half-way through a match for tea and jaffa cakes, is all I'll say :p

Ya haven't lived until you've stopped half-way through a match for tea and jaffa cakes, is all I'll say :p

If it was pints I think I could be persuaded on the matter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Duiske wrote: »
    Definately cricket.

another vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Slow coach wrote: »
    Sorry, you can't ban something you can't spell. Dems de roolz.

Golf is out too, since it's not a sport.
    what is this room101???

a technicallity!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭emmanuels-baby

Buzkashi!!!

If ever a sport needed banning!
    That **** is MESSED up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Motorbike racing. Stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

soccer..

SOME hurling players wear helmets - 'nuff said:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Orienteering :P

damn yuppies with their shiny shiny compasses,with all the shinyness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Water-polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

must say i dont like some of the idea here. while agree the top players in england get paid to much the like of ronaldo who spends most the match on the ground. But what about the players in the lower leagues i go over at least once a season to see yeovil play and the matches are always very entertaining and the highest paid one of them is on like £700 a week. Cricket is good once ya figure out what is happening and learn about it

American Football is one i wud ban the play to too slow for the amount that they do

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

scheister wrote: »
    must say i dont like some of the idea here. while agree the top players in england get paid to much the like of ronaldo who spends most the match on the ground. But what about the players in the lower leagues i go over at least once a season to see yeovil play and the matches are always very entertaining and the highest paid one of them is on like £700 a week. Cricket is good once ya figure out what is happening and learn about it

American Football is one i wud ban the play to too slow for the amount that they do

Hang on... Amierican Football is "too slow", but cricket is ok...?:confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I dont doubt I would get a hiding.

Id also get a hiding off the muscled heavyweight actors who "fight" in the WWF.

There is a huge difference between professional-wrestlers and actually competitive mixed martial artists. For you to even begin to classify them in the same circle immediately demonstrates your ignorance.
    What I also dont doubt is that nobody from the above 3 groups would last more than two rounds with Hatton, Mayweather or Calzaghae.

In a boxing match, yes. In a real fight or a mixed martial arts bout, ABSOLUTELY not. I am both an avid boxing fan and an avid mma fan. I've been watching both sports for more then a decade.

Boxing is one range of fighting. It is simply the striking aspect of it. And even at that, it's a limited form of striking. Just punching. Muay Thai is a more thorough striking art, due to it incorporating clinchwork, kicks, punches, elbows and knees.

Now combine that with someone with world class judo, or world class wrestling.. the boxer would be thrown on his head before he could blink. And combine that with someone with a solid ground game.. just as the boxer wakes up from being tossed on his head, he would be put back asleep with a picture perfect choke.

It's as simple as that, and that's the reality of it. Boxers excel at what they do, boxing. Mixed martial artists excel at what they do, mixed martial arts. Put either of each in the opposite environment and they will lose. GSP isn't going to last 1 round in a boxing ring with a Joe Calzaghe, the same way a Joe Calzaghe isn't going to last a round with GSP in MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

if im thinking proberly cricket is not slow its more long if ya think about it a 20-20 game conprises of 240 balls being delivery taking no extra's. while american football shops nearly every play to consider what they are going to do next and what play.

Advertisement