Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could ban one sport...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I don't get all this fvcking sports hate, if you don't like a sport, don't fvcking watch it then :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    I don't get all this fvcking sports hate, if you don't like a sport, don't fvcking watch it then :mad:

:rolleyes: Maybe because some sports are always on tv on half the channels and people are constantly talking about them in work and they are constantly in the papers.

Might have something to do with that, just a little. The cricket hate, well that's just common sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bonj15

Hyper Culchie Fighting

Or Hurling as it's sometimes called.

Im getting sick and tired of some people here disregarding our national past-time.And to Chopperbyrne,I noticed it said www.shamrockrovers under your name..how f***** typical,an eircom league fan who despises gaa! Think about it,you are probaly a celtic fan asswell who says f*** the english and all that crap and i hate being honest.Without the GAA we are effectively english(taken into account the irish language is dieing a slow death)
    Dont get me wrong i get pretty pissed off with the politics involved in the GAA but that pain suddenly turns to joy when ever you feel the championship ccome around.I also am an avid soccer fan aswell.Go to Anfield and Parkhead at least 6 times a year.
    But the gaa is something special,you shake hands with the fella your markin before the match then for the next 70mins you try and take lumps out of him(all within rules and reason) and after you shake hands with him again and say good game,There are no grudges after or nothing..While in soccer you have these grudges that seem to last for years(Roy Keane?)Or how about the rush you get after playing in an unreal game and putting your body on the line for your parish.
    I know in club soocer in Ireland lads move clubs more times than they get up just because of one bad season.You see whenever you see a man in your parish jersey take to the field you know he will do his best for you because he is proud of where hes from but with soccer they might put in a bit of effort for the first half of the season and if things dont go their way they will pack it in..no loyalty at all!
    As 1 poster said before a hurling match can change in a blink of an eye!With 4 mins left you could be 7 points ahead but with a min left you be 3 points up!But in soccer if your 2-0 up with 15mins to play more than likely the score will remain that way or if were lucky finish 2-1!Hurling requires skill but also mental strength aswell.I Think soccer is missing that mental strength because at the end of it all the majority will go home to there mansions after getting hammered and wont feel hurt.I genuinly feel for some soccer fans who do care.I have total respect for soccer fans who may not like the GAA because of a particular reason but let that slip and just part company with the association and dont say a bad word abour it like you just did Chopperbyrne!

Sorry I Strayed off the point there but it just sickens me when fans from other codes see one thing bad with sport and exploit it while turning a blind eye to "their" sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Lacrosse

What the hell like...? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 johnnydd

fair play bonj15, people making comment about our national sport who dont have a clue, hurling is unique game, cricket is for softies who were never good enough to get on any other teams..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bonj15 wrote: »
    snip

A GAA club openly admitted they wanted to "destroy" Shamrock Rovers.

They were not reprimanded by the GAA for this, they were actually backed.

I am not a Celtic fan and have dozens of English friends, so there's that point thrown out the window.

I happen to like gaelic football as a sport, but hurling is a sport I don't enjoy because as you said yourself they "take lumps out of" each other with sticks.

I don't care how skillful some aspects of the game are.

And as for it being completely friendly, is that why there are often brawls at county matches?

A GAA club openly admitted they wanted to "destroy" Shamrock Rovers.

They were not reprimanded by the GAA for this, they were actually backed.

I am not a Celtic fan and have dozens of English friends, so there's that point thrown out the window.

I happen to like gaelic football as a sport, but hurling is a sport I don't enjoy because as you said yourself they "take lumps out of" each other with sticks.

I don't care how skillful some aspects of the game are.

And as for it being completely friendly, is that why there are often brawls at county matches?

As i said before i dont like politics in the gaa,i am more concerned about the game itself,the fans and the players.I myself believe the gaa were 100% wrong in this case and we will leave it at that.But if you want to get involved i will(Croke Park and soccer??)

Also when i meant taking lumps out of each other i said within rules and reason! That is a fair shoulder,hooking,blocking etc.

Them brawls were out of order?Yes they were but have you noticed that nearly everyone will forget about it in a few days time?In My opinon them brawls show passion but that can get out of order..I also never mentioned the word Friendly.

I think you just confirmed that one of my statements is correct in my post!

"I have total respect for soccer fans who may not like the GAA because of a particular reason but let that slip and just part company with the association and dont say a bad word abour it like you just did Chopperbyrne!

Sorry I Strayed off the point there but it just sickens me when fans from other codes see one thing bad with sport and exploit it while turning a blind eye to "their" sport."

What has soccer (and rugby) being played at Croke Park got to do with this?

The GAA agreed to let both national teams play at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road is redeveloped as it is a huge financial gain to them.

What has soccer (and rugby) being played at Croke Park got to do with this?

The GAA agreed to let both national teams play at Croke Park while Lansdowne Road is redeveloped as it is a huge financial gain to them.

Honestly im gettin sick of your sneaky comments about politics and all this sh**!I was just hinting that The GAA helped out the FAI when they were in need because you were abs driving me bonkers by bronging tallaght into this argument..Politics has nothing to do with my argument as I said before because i mainly pointed out i am only intested in the games,fans,players!

Will you just stop with the politics for a min(I know im contradictin myself from the last post) but you in an earlier comment called hurling a clchie game or something like that and i just wanted to point out to u why u have no right to say anything about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

scheister wrote: »
    if im thinking proberly cricket is not slow its more long if ya think about it a 20-20 game conprises of 240 balls being delivery taking no extra's. while american football shops nearly every play to consider what they are going to do next and what play.

Have to disagree. The amount of time between each delivery in a game of cricket is roughly the same as the amount of time between each play in American football. In Test Cricket anyway - not sure about one-day or 20/20.

And something interesting is more likely to happen in the football play.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Cricket. could never understand it.

+111 or wanted to

Bonj15 wrote: »
    Honestly im gettin sick of your sneaky comments about politics and all this sh**!I was just hinting that The GAA helped out the FAI when they were in need because you were abs driving me bonkers by bronging tallaght into this argument..Politics has nothing to do with my argument as I said before because i mainly pointed out i am only intested in the games,fans,players!

Will you just stop with the politics for a min(I know im contradictin myself from the last post) but you in an earlier comment called hurling a clchie game or something like that and i just wanted to point out to u why u have no right to say anything about it!

How was that a sneaky comment?

It was a direct reply to something you said.

Also, I'm completely entitled to give my opinions about hurling or any other sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Actually i change mine to Ice Hockey.

How was that a sneaky comment?

It was a direct reply to something you said.

Also, I'm completely entitled to give my opinions about hurling or any other sport.

Alright what im tryin to get across about all this is who de f*** gives a sh** about politics!

I Myself watch sport because its an escape and its a rush,,Its also an opportunity to see something i like performed to an exceptional level without it being undercut by stupid politics.

What do u watch sport for?
    a)The brillance of something you ador
    or
    b)U are intrested in the way in the politics of sports??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I was going to say curling but there is something about it that makes you watch it in amazement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Hurling's a good game. I just can't stand the 'holier than thou' attitude of so many GAA fans. Think they should get an award for following a national sport as opposed to the greatest game on earth - football :D

Ban curling! How is it a sport?!

Curling is awesome!

SWEEEEEEEEP! Sweep sweep sweep!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ban cock-fighting!

Far too much chance of cocks getting badly hurt ...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

cricket..in fact dont just ban it shoot them . them and their stupid stupid unintelligible completely boring game for weirdoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

cricket..in fact dont just ban it shoot them . them and their stupid stupid unintelligible completely boring game for weirdoes

or maybe your dumb?

/only joking;)

maybe you invented a whole new sport, probably illegal, but new...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

kerash wrote: »
    or maybe your dumb?

/only joking;)

maybe you invented a whole new sport, probably illegal, but new...

shooting them couldnt be called a sport because it wouldnt be sporting ,they stand still on the one spot doing absolutely nothing for hours . If heavy calibre rifles were introduced into it it would certainly make it more watchable , but perhaps not so playable after a while .

I would settle for compromised rules , with a large gang of hurlers let loose from a tunnel Gladiator style to beat the living shyte out of them at unexpected intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

shooting them couldnt be called a sport because it wouldnt be sporting ,they stand still on the one spot doing absolutely nothing for hours . If heavy calibre rifles were introduced into it it would certainly make it more watchable , but perhaps not so playable after a while .

I would settle for compromised rules , with a large gang of hurlers let loose from a tunnel Gladiator style to beat the living shyte out of them at unexpected intervals.

They could deflect the shots with their bats. Actually I think they run a little in cricket, so they have some chance of dodgin a bullet.... Hurlers V Cricket bats could be interesting, you could be on to something there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

blood "sports" involving animals. Disgusting, sick, twisted people who enjoy the torture and death of an animal should be subjected to the same IMHO.:mad:

Living where I do, I see a lot of bullfighting on the TV and only when the bullfighter gets gored is the only time I cheer.

Systematic torture posing as culture and custom.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 padj0

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm a big cricket fan, especially the Twenty20. Super stuff to watch.

cricket is pure shi*e:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

padj0 wrote: »

It's pure ignorance towards the sport. In fact I'm off to play a cricket match.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Actually i change mine to Ice Hockey.

WTF? Why?
    padj0 wrote: »

You signed up just for that? Nice one.

Can you offer a reason as to why you don't like it or is saying it's shite just the easy thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

kensutz wrote: »
    It's pure ignorance towards the sport. In fact I'm off to play a cricket match.

Agreed 100% - I vote for rythmic gymnastics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Golf

If people want to play it, then fine... go right ahead, it actually looks like a good way to spend a day.
    It only really begins to piss me off when they televise this. I honestly can't think of a spectator sport more boring than golf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

DEmeant0r wrote: »

I'd agree with that......except for when I'm in a rush, and just want to sit down and watch the football news on sky sports, and I have to wait for 20 minutes while they are going through all the bloody cricket grounds to give me the score from a match I don't give a shvt about, then it becomes a pain in the ass.

Advertisement