Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few days in cork city

Options
  • 20-04-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My wife and i are thinking of heading to cork for the 2nd or 3rd week in may mon tues wed, and looking for some suggestions on a nice hotel nice restaurants and bars in the city. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

Try the clarion or the new juries both lovely new hotels. May be a bit pricey though. Restaurants i suggest Amicus (General food) on Paul street, cafe paradiso( expensive but nice vegetarian menu) on western road, scoozis on just off winthrop steet for lunch mayhaps?
    Pubs: Crane lane live music nicely decorated and good athmosphere.
    Bodega
    Old oak is a popular spot not too pushed on it myself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Whether or not you stay in the Clarion, check out the bar there, it's really nice and surprisingly reasonably priced.

The Whisky bar is nearby and is supposed to be pretty good (I haven't been in since the revamp due to moving away, but all of its previous incarnations have been good barring the last one - Beale Street Blues Bar - which had a bit of a scummer problem after a while...) Also check out Suas, it's a great little rooftop bar - can get busy sometimes but ought to be grand during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

try here;
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/eventguide/
    http://www.whazon.com/cork/index.php
    http://www.bestofbridgestone.com/community/index.html

lunch in the farmgate in the english market
    walk to shandon and back for a few pints in Dennehys in cornmarket st (otherwise known as coal quay) and then a few in the crane lane.
    dinner at jacobs on the mall if you fancy something a bit dressy and expensive.
    don't know about nightclubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Corcaigh abu

Lancaster lodge is good cheapish accommodation option as I think hotels in Cork tend to be expensive. B&B's or guesthouses on Western Rd in general are of good standards & tend to cater to visiting university conference types.

As for day out take wander up Western Rd to UCC (University) and the Glucksman Gallery (Warhol) expo there at moment, then go across road to Fitzgerald park where there is small museum which has history of Cork, back into town, head into English market and go to Farmgate for lunch/coffee.

I think the Cornstore for dinner (or any time) is good, its on Coal Quay as well. Reasonable priced, good menu and nice atmosphere. Boqueria is small tapas bar which is great but can be a bit pricey. Nice pubs are the newly re-vamped The Pav just off Patricks St. The Oval or Crane Lane.

If have time, head to Kinsale fo the day, lovely pubs, restuarants and atmosphere or get train out to FOTA wildlife Park and on to Cobh the last stop of the Titanic and can visit Midelton to the Jameson Whiskey distillery and tasting. As long as you've a pint of Murphys when in Cork your doing o.k! Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

Fysh wrote: »
    Whether or not you stay in the Clarion, check out the bar there, it's really nice and surprisingly reasonably priced.

The Whisky bar is nearby and is supposed to be pretty good (I haven't been in since the revamp due to moving away, but all of its previous incarnations have been good barring the last one - Beale Street Blues Bar - which had a bit of a scummer problem after a while...) Also check out Suas, it's a great little rooftop bar - can get busy sometimes but ought to be grand during the week.
    Actually work in that bar! was shamlessly plugging my own hotel. Boqueria in my opinion is mediocre if you've ever had decent tapas before you'll be disappointed with this. New coffee shop beside that though is beautiful..
    Forgot bout english market good call!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

Cheers guys think ill stay in the Clarion , lunch in the english market, dinner in Jacobs pints in crane street and Suas. Thanks for all the help

Advertisement