Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No experience

Options
  • 20-04-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have no sailing experience but would like to join and crew (and start learning) on a sea voyage, preferably in or around Europe... Does anyone know where I can start looking for these trips?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Learn the basics first otherwise you'll just be a passenger. Join a local club and make contacts that way. There's always a few boats looking for crew with some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 duckegg135

With no experience you can gain a Competent Crew Certificate after 5 days of training. You'll get a good grasp of the basics and also experience what it's like to live on board for 4-5 days. I did mine in Carlingford at the following sea school and can highly recommend it. http://www.carlingfordsailingschool.ie/
    We did a mini-voyage! (From Carlingford to Ardglass, County Down and then over to the Isle of Man) Great fun and I learned so much.
    I think that most people looking for crew for any kind of trip will expect at least some basic training.
    Good luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I saw the training boats in the marina at Carlingford last June. I was impressed by how well the crew handled berthing as most had no experience when they left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lily73

There is a sailing school in Dun Laoghaire over on the West Pier. I have just completed the beginners course (€199). One full Saturday and a half day sunday.

Going on to do level 2 now which means that I will be able to go and crew properly.

Check out www.inss.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maryjones

Hey,

The best thing for you to do is go on the Asgard 2! You go on trips for a week or 2 at a time. Its an amazing experience! I would really really recommend it! The asgard is a tall ship and they teach you everything on board so you don't need any experience! iIn fact when i was on it i was one of the very few who actualy had any sailing experience!!! ts not too expensive either! its bout 200 for 2 weeks ish! i cant remember exactly but its all on this site

www.asgard2.ie

Its a great laugh too!! Best of luck!!

Advertisement