Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballindenisk

Options
  • 20-04-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Just want to know what happened today at ballidenisk horse trials? I heard a rider got killed....Karen Rogers? If its true its very sad.

EDIT: It is true

Eventingoreland.com
    EVENTING Ireland and the Fell Family, organisers of the One-Day Event

at Ballindenisk, Co. Cork, wish to express their deep sadness and

shock following the death today (Sunday) of Karen Rodgers, who was

tragically killed while competing on the cross country course with her

horse Kilcoltrim Brigade.

Karen was an experienced and successful rider, and had been involved

in many aspects of equestrian sport in Ireland during the last ten

years.

Eventing Ireland Chairman John Wright said this afternoon from

Ballindenisk: "We are in a state of shock, which we are sure will be

shared by everyone in the horse sport community. Karen was a well-

known and popular figure in equestrian circles, and we wish to extend

our profound and heartfelt sympathy to all her family and friends.

"A full investigation is now being carried out into the circumstances

of this terrible accident."

RIP...

Comments

Yep, its true unfortunately

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=mhojidojcwau&c=ireland

Truly awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I was there. Everyone was and is, in a complete state of shock and it was a total freak accident. My heart goes out to her friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Terrible tradegy, god rest her and sympathies to her friends and family.

Read in the indo that it happened at a water jump and that she suffered severe cranial injuries. :(

I read that too, but it was actually the fence just before the water jump - one that has been used on the course for a number of years and as far as I know never caused problems before. It was such a freak thing, a rotational fall where he came over on top of her. She was a really active member of Eventing Ireland and was hugely involved in televising the higher profile events over the past few years.

Can't stop thinking about it today. Everyone knows eventing is a dangerous sport, but you never really expect to be faced with the grim reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Must have been a huge shock for you having been there when it happened Napoles *hug*

Its the solid obsticle thing again really isn't it, rotational falls are all too common and seem to cause the most fatalaties when it comes to eventing or horseriding in general. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Napoles i can sort of understand how you are feeling. I was there when David O'Connor died and it affected me alot then. These accidents are unfortunately part of the game. A heavy animal, speed and solid fences make for a bad accident when things go wrong.

It was very shocking. My mum saw it all and was very shocked, but really I just can't stop thinking about her poor family. I didn't know her personally, but as Togster says it's impossible not to be affected.
    A lot of people were reminded of the death of David Foster in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very sad to hear that.

I wouldnt say it was a freak accident though as Eventing has the highest rate of rotational accidents of all equestrian activities, never the less it is still a huge loss of life.

My thoughts go out to her family.

Advertisement