Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo '00-01 vs. Opel Corsa '03-04

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Everything else being equal ( service history, crash free etc) I'd go for the Polo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Madison breslin

from what im told VW would be a better option than the corsa.your priority should be reliability. From experience Toyota is hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Having owned a Corsa and having a friend with a Polo, I'd take the hit on the Corsa for the superior ownership experience.

Polos of that vintage will not have central locking or electirc windows, which will hamper resale value, for the same money a newer Corsa will serve you better. Just DON'T get the 1.0l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

from what im told VW would be a better option than the corsa.your priority should be reliability. From experience Toyota is hard to beat

Both the Polo and Corsa are mediocre at best in terms of reliability. Check out JD Power, What Car satisfaction survey etc. Auto Express do 'em as well. Just use your googles.
    If trouble free is your priority you really should be looking at the likes of Skoda's Fabia, Toyota's Yaris (the earlier ones built in Japan are the best). I really don't know how you managed to narrow your choice down to two of the crappest cars on the road; no offense intended.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I really cannot see any reason to spend 5k to 00-01 Polo, way owerpriced.

Why dont you get Toyota Yaris, if you are interested about relibiality, you can get that for same money than Polo and it is much more modern car,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lacrimosa

thanks for the replies Guys.

Well, those are the cars I like, it's just my personal (subjective) preference. eg. I test drove Yaris but just didn't like it, found it too much of a women's car. Probably can't argue with reliability of older Yaris (or Honda Jazz).

@ coolbeans
    I wouldn't agree with you, hopefully not only before car purchase :)
    As per TUV/ Dekra reports, Polo 2000 - 01 seem to be more reliable that newer model (say 2002 - 03), and for Corsa it appears to be not too bad either.

Just a bunch of figures: TUV report 2007 ->
    * 2-3 yrs old cars: Corsa - ranked 24th, Polo 41st;
    * 4-5 yr old ones: Corsa 21st, Polo 51st;
    * 6-7 yr oldies: Corsa 38, Polo 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i reccomend the polo because the clutchs in corsa's are known for there danger... ( learner drivers often burn them out and choke on the noobish clutch smoke ) aswell as there the worst car to ever come from germany....

polo all the way... thoguh a 106 would be lighter , juts as quick and look a little better for same price.... there a great car too , less problems then most of the peugeot range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

S.I.R wrote: »
    i reccomend the polo because the clutchs in corsa's are known for there danger... ( learner drivers often burn them out and choke on the noobish clutch smoke ) aswell as there the worst car to ever come from germany....

polo all the way... thoguh a 106 would be lighter , juts as quick and look a little better for same price.... there a great car too , less problems then most of the peugeot range :)

I really like the Opel clutch, I even moved onto an Astra manual rather than an intended automatic choice when I came across one in 1.6.

There is so much scope to release the clutch, not like the Japs, where the bite is there, then suddenly...*conk*

You do have to push the clutch considersably further in the Opel and VW to disengage the gearbox, so much so I nearly rammed my foot through the floor of my mam's Yaris recently. you barely have to press the thing!!

Opel clutch is perfect for learners, but as already warned...DO NOT GET THE 1.0 or ANY 1.0 car for that matter you'll regret it if you do any bit of non urban driving, even occasionally.

Advertisement