Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Gibby falls out with another slugger...

• 20-04-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

First Hillenbrand, now Thomas.... is there anything that can be read into this? I mean obviously it's all to do with the bottom line, but the Jays aren't exactly horsing them out of the park at the moment. Should head coaches do more to hang on to guys who prove to be a bit of a handful socially or financially but, at the end of the day, hit row Z when the mood takes them?

Though I suppose on recent performances we could move Eckstein to DH... :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Why do you think it has anything to do with Gibbons? I think it has a lot more to do with the Jays not wanting to bring him back next year and not skirting around the plate appearance clause all year causing bad blood. As for Hillenbrand, he's a trouble making cry baby everywhere he goes to the point where no one wants him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Gibbons is known to be a hothead.

He doesn't seem to stand for any dissent from players, apparently he asked Hillenbrand to fight him after the comments Hillenbrand wrote on a whiteboard in the dressing room.

Thomas was said to have been angry at his benching and obviously the contract clause comes into it but surely they were better served by hanging onto him rather than swallowing the remainder of the contract and allowing him to sign for the minimum with the A's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Neil3030 wrote: »
    First Hillenbrand, now Thomas.... is there anything that can be read into this? I mean obviously it's all to do with the bottom line, but the Jays aren't exactly horsing them out of the park at the moment. Should head coaches do more to hang on to guys who prove to be a bit of a handful socially or financially but, at the end of the day, hit row Z when the mood takes them?

Though I suppose on recent performances we could move Eckstein to DH... :P

You forgot Ted Lilly...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Barry Bonds is a free agent :D

But in all seriousness look at the numbers the Jays have put up since that brief run of fortune on the road, when they went 4-1 against Baltimore and Texas:

and needless to say, these pathetic attempts at offence chalked up 3 wins and 9 losses during that stretch.

It's only going to be a matter of time before Halladay realises slinging a full game conceding only 1 run might be rewarded with some form of offence at a different team... dear god the BlueJays were woeful last night.

• Advertisement

Mother of God will the pain ever stop...

I take back my OP - JP has got to go. It's bad enough Wells, MacDonald, Eckstein and Accardo are on the DL, that can happen to anyone. But when your offence is already performing like muck and in light of these injuries you then sign two comlete rejects in Wilkerson and Mench, you might as well start budgeting for next years top draft picks. Wilkerson is also completely unable to field, did anyone see the 3 errors he made last night?

He gives Lind 19 at-bats and deduces he's not hitting enough for this ball-club: NOBODY IS HITTING ENOUGH FOR THIS BALLCLUB, and Lind is our one genuine prospect. He has nothing left to prove in AAA, give him a decent run in the ML and see if he actually lives up to the fans' expectations.

Our pitching has been red hot over the last few weeks, but last night showed that once this cools down, the Jays are seriously seriously screwed, and there doesn't appear to be anything going on in the backroom to fix it.

Maybe it's a combination of the sleep deprivation staying up to watch these clowns, but I'm starting to get pretty p1ss3d off right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Its a joke...season done in May like every other F%^$% year. I couldn't believe when I read Gobbons reaction to yesterdays game...
    gibbons wrote:
    It would've been understandable to find John Gibbons fuming inside the visiting manager's office after the drubbing the Blue Jays endured at Progressive Field on Saturday night.
    No one would've blamed Toronto's manager for going off on an angry tirade, expressing some disgust in the wake of a 12-0 bruising at the hands of the Indians. Instead, Gibbons leaned back in his chair, clutching a cold beverage and managing to sport a smirk under the circumstances.

"We haven't had one like that in a while," Gibbons said about the blowout loss

What a terrible attitude!

Apalling attitude indeed. He's a hazardous dichotomy, he doesn't give a toss one minute, the next he's demanding fist-fights with players lacking 'respect'. Neither is conducive to a winning ballclub.

The problem starts at the top though. Rogers just doesn't seem to understand how to succeed in the MLB. He's hired a stubborn mule in Godfrey, a clueless twit in JP and the afore mentioned Gibby; it's a trio that deserve to finish 3rd.

Our starting 5 are outstanding and we have some decent mound prospects coming through, so it's boggling my mind at how we are letting the batting issue prove so significant. We could easily trade Litsch, Purcey or even Burnett, still have one of the best starting rotations in the league with a much improved batting core.

Or how about bring Lind up and give him a decent run, even have him in a platoon with Mench, but give him a solid 2 months. At the very least it will inform us as to whether he is up to a starting roll in the outfield or even at first base next season.

All else fails, sign Barry Bonds, yes he has baggage, might damage morale etc etc, but in fairness, throw a million bucks at him, he'll sign. He'll either improve the offence or keep us at the bottom the division, it's a no risk move.

Ideally though.. axe the three idiots, bring in a GM that can draft and trade, a Manager that can win and a president that will LISTEN!!!

Advertisement