Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Damaged

Options
  • 20-04-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was due to pick up my brand new car yesterday. I ordered it in January and it arrived this week in Ireland. I received a call on Friday from the garage in question (names will be not used in this thread) to say a customer had crashed into the drivers side back door, and that the door would have to be replaced. I am obviously devastated, and I am not sure if I want the car anymore. The garage did not come back to on Saturday with a knock down price. I have no idea how much discount I should be looking for.
    This is a brand new car (2008), but now it has been involved in a crash. The wait time for the same car is 6 months, and I am not willing to wait. I will buy the car if the garage can offer suitable compensation, but does anyone have any ideas how much I should be asking for (demanding)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

JL1971, start your own thread about your situation.
    You'll get better responses then tagging onto a thread with a different title.

Have you gone to see the actual damaged caused??

Oh and welcome btw!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

JL1971 wrote: »
    I was due to pick up my brand new car yesterday. I ordered it in January and it arrived this week in Ireland. I received a call on Friday from the garage in question (names will be not used in this thread) to say a customer had crashed into the drivers side back door, and that the door would have to be replaced. I am obviously devastated, and I am not sure if I want the car anymore. The garage did not come back to on Saturday with a knock down price. I have no idea how much discount I should be looking for.
    This is a brand new car (2008), but now it has been involved in a crash. The wait time for the same car is 6 months, and I am not willing to wait. I will buy the car if the garage can offer suitable compensation, but does anyone have any ideas how much I should be asking for (demanding)?

To be honest I wouldn't lay a finger on the car at all now. The hand over of the car didn't take place so they should be giving you exactly what you paid for and thats a brand new non crashed car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

JL1971 wrote: »

I heard of a story (Told it's true, but who knows) about a guy in America (:rolleyes:) who ordered a brand new BMW.

Similar thing happened as above, and after he took delivery, he sued BMW for breach of conract or something along those lines. He ordered a brand new car but the car he recieved was not brand new, as it had replacment parts.

He won millions of dollars.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Posts moved to a new thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Go to see the damage. If there is even a scratch on any other panel around the door, walk away. This also depends on what type of car it is. If its a 50 grand car, I would be only willing to pay low forties for it after repair. Depending on car look for about 15 % reduction. Afterall, they will have to declare it to any other buyer should you decide not to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

pay less 20% or run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

id walk away and tell them i want a brand new car, undamaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What kind of a car is it? Must be pretty expensive/not off the shelf type if you're waiting that long for it to be delivered.

Time for the OP to have an appointment with their Solicitor methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

To be fair guys cars get damaged in the ships on the way over here all the time. They have dedicated facilities in Rosslare/Cork for dealing with this sort of thing. I read about the BMW facility in the UK which was essentially like a mini-factory that could repair any damage done.
    As for the OP I am guessing you have ordered a Cash cow (Quasquai?).If they replace the door satisfactorily then I would go for it. However knowing Ireland they will probably do it wrong. If it's a metallic car I'd wait to see it in bright sunlight, it will look it's worst then.
    If you do go for it look for a discount of a couple of grand. I think the others are being optimistic with their 15%-20%. They will sell that car on to someone else at 5% discount if there is a 6 month waiting list. That's just my opinion, don't eat me for it!
    At the end of the day if it's not what you want then don't take it. Just remember it will be "old" in 2009 and will probably have picked upa few scratches and scrapes by then, at least with this one you get your first scrape in before you own it!

BTW: Go see the damage BEFORE they repair it to see how bad it really is. If it's just the door and nothing else then all's you have to worry about is that they actually replace the door & get the colour right.

If there is any other wing, pillar, wheel arch damage then I woud just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The way i see it...

Dealer gets crashed into by Mr. X ... Mr. X's insurance pays for Dealers car to be fixed PLUS 25% (MINIMUM) of the net repair value as depreciation. If they offer no discount, they are making money on the crash.

Personally, i would tell them to stick the car. But if you want it that much, i would be looking for at least 20% off it.

At the end of the day, it'll be worth less now then a brand new car when it comes to sell-on or trade-in. You will end up taking the hit for the damage in the long-run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd say talk to them, see what they say, then come back to us. The lads can give solid advice then, rather than advice on unknown circumstances. Hopefully everything works out ok. Best of luck with it
    LM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Technically you are now buying a car that has been involved in a third party collision, If it is registered already (Which it probably has been by the garage) Its records would now have been transferred over to the insurance company of the party that crashed into it. (Unless that person is willing to pay cash out of his back pocket.)

If you decide to hang on to this car It would be worth while having an independant assessor to inspect the damage on this car just incase the main dealer is trying to cover something. Side impact damage can effect passenger door airbags etc if fitted.

No doubt the garage is going to make a substancial claim off the third party so it is worth while asking for a good whack off the initial cost. Stuff the long waiting list if the garage dose not co operate, there is more than one fish in the sea. You are not legally tied because the dealer is now not selling you the new uncrashed car that you ordered. You can now sue him if he holds your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I also think you should forget this particular car. I know the waiting list is long, but every time you are in it you will not be content knowing the door beside your right arm is not the door that god gave it (so to speak). Seriously. It WILL bug you.

I pity the next customer that will buy this car from the show room unknowingly that it has been written off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

I reckon you should walk away.

The fact that you know that area of the car has been repaired is just going to bug you.
    Even if its a perfect repair and nobody ever notices it, you'll know it, and you just don't want to be holding your breath when your mates are looking at your new car.

This is the kind of thing which will have you looking at that door/panel every time you wash it/walk by it. I speak from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Demand a new car. Make sure to bring somebody with you who knows (panel beater) to make sure they don't try flog it off to you. and also a 20% discount for the inconvenience. Its only fair after waiting this long.
    time to ring up mr solicitor op.

I reckon you should walk away.

The fact that you know that area of the car has been repaired is just going to bug you.
    Even if its a perfect repair and nobody ever notices it, you'll know it, and you just don't want to be holding your breath when your mates are looking at your new car.

This is the kind of thing which will have you looking at that door/panel every time you wash it/walk by it. I speak from experience.
    For 20k+ off the marked price it may be worth living with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

For 20k+ off the marked price it may be worth living with it.

If it was worth enough to get '20k+' off the price then the dealer wouldnt have the nads to ring you up and say he was going to stick a new door on it.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i personally would want 500 for the chap ringing me alone , then they would pay the costs then another 500 off to make me not cancel purchaseing the car.

but then again , im known for being bias towards dealers but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

However knowing Ireland they will probably do it wrong.

That has to be one of the most pointless, throw away, unsubstantiated & ridiculous remarks I have read to date on Boards.

:rolleyes:

If you have never had a decent repair/respray job done, I suggest you seek out another garage/repair shop in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

prospect wrote: »
    That has to be one of the most pointless, throw away, unsubstantiated & ridiculous remarks I have read to date on Boards.

:rolleyes:

If you have never had a decent repair/respray job done, I suggest you seek out another garage/repair shop in the future.

If the place is careless enough to leave a customer's new car exposed to damage like it has suffered then it doesn't say much for their attention to detail. I woudl have thought the delivery area & customer parking would have been kept separate. I would not hold out much hope for their attention to detail when it comes to getting this car repaired.
    You would have to agree there are more butchers that claim to be spray painters than there are talented professionals. Walk around & look at the amount of cars driving around with crap paint jobs & tell me that the majority of panel beaters/spray painters are good.
    I have found a good spray shop and I have been using them as required over the past 12 years. It took me a few turns to find them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am not going to get into a silly argument here.

The car was probably parked in the dealership. Another customer reversed inot it, hardly the dealers fault! What are they to do, wrap it in cotton wool until the customer collects it?

Dodgy panel beaters (or tradsemen in general) are not unique to Ireland, so I think your original comment was a tad sensationalist.

prospect wrote: »
    I am not going to get into a silly argument here.

The car was probably parked in the dealership. Another customer reversed inot it, hardly the dealers fault! What are they to do, wrap it in cotton wool until the customer collects it?

Dodgy panel beaters (or tradsemen in general) are not unique to Ireland, so I think your original comment was a tad sensationalist.
    It is the dealers fault, they could at least park it well out of the way of wheel kickers. I bet the boss himself has his own designated private parking space on the fourcourt well away from the fuel pumps and prospective customers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

It is the dealers fault, they could at least park it well out of the way of wheel kickers. I bet the boss himself has his own designated private parking space on the fourcourt well away from the fuel pumps and prospective customers

Park it well out of the way somewhere quiet and secluded and some scummer could sneak in and key it etc (which I think is as equally unpredictable as someone crashing into parked cars)

Not the dealers fault imo, but its not the dealers getting screwed here, its the 'crasher'. I'd imagine the dealer will be passing on any hit they take on this damaged car (repairs, possible loss of earnings etc) straight to his insurance company.

Wossack wrote: »
    Park it well out of the way somewhere quiet and secluded and some scummer could sneak in and key it etc (which I think is as equally unpredictable as someone crashing into parked cars)

Not the dealers fault imo, but its not the dealers getting screwed here, its the 'crasher'. I'd imagine the dealer will be passing on any hit they take on this damaged car (repairs, possible loss of earnings etc) straight to his insurance company.
    Not necessarly, many main dealers keep their customer and sales cars well out of the way of the general public in a secure compound monitered by CCTV. No doubt the dealer will be taking his cut from this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If the place is careless enough to leave a customer's new car exposed to damage like it has suffered then it doesn't say much for their attention to detail. I woudl have thought the delivery area & customer parking would have been kept separate. I would not hold out much hope for their attention to detail when it comes to getting this car repaired.

Jeez, people here are really losing the run of themselves over this... **** happens, just because you are spending 'x' amount of money doesn't mean you are immune to the slings-and-arrows of outragous (mis)fortune.

Make sure you see the car. If damage is confined to the door demand a new one. Demand a discount to cover loss in residual/hassle. However a 20% discount like some have suggested seems to me completely unrealistic and - it has to be said - opportunistic ...

It IS a bummer, especially if you have been looking forward to your new motor all year. Just ignore the ninnies who advocate screaming blue murder and you should still be able to enjoy your new car. Hopefully the dealer will continue to act in a reasonable manner, if you behave likewise should be no need for huge drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Oh my God, it never ceases to amaze me how evil and conniving a lot of posters here think motor dealers are! Some seriously ridiculous commentary going on here.

Facts:

Cars sometimes get damaged on forecourts. A lot of punters are crap drivers (look at the number of threads that feature here on that subject). Sometimes they run into other cars.

Cars sometimes get damaged on boats or in transit, often we're never even aware of it, the cars are repaired before we see them.

It's very hard to keep cars somewhere where they're absolutely safe, you park them where you think they're safe and morons run into them anyway.

Very few of those morons come back into the garage and admit it, most just drive away.

Very little of the damage is of any major impact to the car, scuffs and bumps mostly.

It's not unusual (it's not exactly a daily occurance either, btw) that we'll walk out to a car and find it "mysteriously damaged". Normally it's superficial and we pay a good bodyshop to get it repaired.

The dealer won't go sueing the crasher for big bucks and hope to make some money out of it. They're normally happy just to get the chance to recover the costs.
    We're talking about insurance companies here, they have their own assessors etc. to ensure that people don't claim for more than the cost (otherwise known as INSURANCE FRAUD!).

The MD doesn't get a reserved space (with velvet ropes around it). Most of the time they're driving the most expensive/coolest car, so it'll be on display out the front.

If there was any damage to the airbag system it would be repaired to perfect condition, if it wasn't and the airbag malfunctioned during an impact, there's a fair chance the dealer would hold some fairly major legal liability.

If it was "written off" as has been suggested (ffs!), it would be claimed back through insurance and a new car would be ordered.

@OP

If the dealer is a reputable dealer, I'm sure the car was repaired in full. The fact that they're replacing the door rather than getting bodywork done shows they're committed to you getting a perfect condition car.

If you don't believe you'll be happy driving this car knowing it's history, don't take it - order a new one!

Make sure to view it before making your decision (with a knowledgable person), it could be a mountain out of a molehill.

I very much doubt it's been reported to an insurance company as a damaged car - for the reasons above.

Certainly request some sort of concession and if you're not happy with it, order new car. Don't go in expecting a 20% discount or thousands of Euro off, you won't get it.

P.S. Sorry to hear your new car got damaged after such a long wait. Work with the dealer to get the situation resolved and to get a car you're happy with. I hope it all works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You entered into a contract to receive a brand new car, therefore you should receive a brand new car i.e. undamaged. I know it hurts with the waiting list and all, but you should really walk away.

If you are thinking of ordering another new car from the same dealer it would be worth checking the chassis numbers of the smashed car, You never know, the dealer could just simply hide this car for several months and then try to sell it on to you as the replacement. :eek:

BTW by the time you wait another 6 months more than likely a newer model will be on the market and this model will be worth less, It may be worth waiting for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

AudiChris wrote: »
    Oh my God, it never ceases to amaze me how evil and conniving a lot of posters here think motor dealers are! Some seriously ridiculous commentary going on here.

Facts:

Cars sometimes get damaged on forecourts. A lot of punters are crap drivers (look at the number of threads that feature here on that subject). Sometimes they run into other cars.

Cars sometimes get damaged on boats or in transit, often we're never even aware of it, the cars are repaired before we see them.

It's very hard to keep cars somewhere where they're absolutely safe, you park them where you think they're safe and morons run into them anyway.

Very few of those morons come back into the garage and admit it, most just drive away.

Very little of the damage is of any major impact to the car, scuffs and bumps mostly.

It's not unusual (it's not exactly a daily occurance either, btw) that we'll walk out to a car and find it "mysteriously damaged". Normally it's superficial and we pay a good bodyshop to get it repaired.

The dealer won't go sueing the crasher for big bucks and hope to make some money out of it. They're normally happy just to get the chance to recover the costs.
    We're talking about insurance companies here, they have their own assessors etc. to ensure that people don't claim for more than the cost (otherwise known as INSURANCE FRAUD!).

The MD doesn't get a reserved space (with velvet ropes around it). Most of the time they're driving the most expensive/coolest car, so it'll be on display out the front.

If there was any damage to the airbag system it would be repaired to perfect condition, if it wasn't and the airbag malfunctioned during an impact, there's a fair chance the dealer would hold some fairly major legal liability.

If it was "written off" as has been suggested (ffs!), it would be claimed back through insurance and a new car would be ordered.

+1

The op asks a simple enough question and 2 pages of mainly blown out of proportions remarks ensue! Usual Motors BS:rolleyes:, some of the lads here need to cop on I think!

Advertisement