Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Damaged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you are thinking of ordering another new car from the same dealer it would be worth checking the chassis numbers of the smashed car, You never know, the dealer could just simply hide this car for several months and then try to sell it on to you as the replacement. :eek:

Where do you get this crap?

No dealer is going to want to sit on this piece of stock (and face it, to a dealer, that's all it is) for 6 months before trying to stick it to the same driver that refused it previously. You'd find yourself on Joe Duffy in about 5 minutes if you tried that kind of thing.

With a 6 month waiting list, I'm sure they'll find a home for it pretty quickly.
    BTW by the time you wait another 6 months more than likely a newer model will be on the market, may be worth waiting for it :confused:

Yeah, JL1971 waited 6 months for a car that they're only luke-warm on and maybe there's something else coming out soon that will be amazingly better than their car....

We don't even know what's been ordered, it's a little early to be assessing the model-change plans of the competition :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

AudiChris wrote: »
    With a 6 month waiting list, I'm sure they'll find a home for it pretty quickly.
    Not if its an automatic in some obscure colour :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It this your car OP?:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055278949

Are you in fact 007? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To be honest, I wouldn't touch the car, I would demand a replacement or any deposit back. I would also get onto the Manufacturer to complain about this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

steve06 wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't touch the car, I would demand a replacement or any deposit back. I would also get onto the Manufacturer to complain about this!

What is there to complain about at least the dealer told him and didn't try to fix it without telling him.

• Advertisement

seasam wrote: »
    What is there to complain about at least the dealer told him and didn't try to fix it without telling him.

+1

Nothing to complain about. Some eejit bumped off the new car. Dealer notified customer and set about repairing car. All above board and in the open.

Complain to the Manufacturer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

Slightly similar thing happened to me.

Ordered a new GTI, when it was being PDI'd by the muppets that exist in MSL Pottery Rd they whacked the rub strip along the drivers door off something.

Salesman told me about it, said it would be sprayed (the plastic strip is all that was damaged) and I was happy with that.

I know my story is not a door.. but, it happens is my point.

If it was a panel or part of the frame of the car I would point blank refuse it but a door.. I dunno, I'd think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

same here too... my car door was scratched in the PDI. I kicked up a stink and they got it touched up perfectly, and offered me a free 1st service. Again, it was just a minor scratch in my case... I'd not be too pleased if it was much worse!

If deffo pays off to go to town with them though.

I'm getting an inspection 1 service for free tomorrow for doing just that over something. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Some utter tripe posted in this thread.

Perhaps ask if the dealer can come round and paint your house while hes giving you 20% off?
    Maybe the company could throw in a free holiday so you can get over the stress of a door scratch?
    How about a massage and a full tank of fuel every time you drive past the showroom?

Cars get damaged.
    Dealer was honest.
    Keep or reject.
    If you keep , then reasonable compensation will be due , not 20% and the car is certainly not written off for a door scratch!

Stop
    Posting
    Bollocks
    On
    Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Churchy wrote: »

Perhaps ask if the dealer can come round and paint your house while hes giving you 20% off?
    Maybe the company could throw in a free holiday so you can get over the stress of a door scratch?
    How about a massage and a full tank of fuel every time you drive past the showroom?

Cars get damaged.
    Dealer was honest.
    Keep or reject.
    If you keep , then reasonable compensation will be due , not 20% and the car is certainly not written off for a door scratch!

Stop
    Posting
    Bollocks
    On
    Boards.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have the damaged door on your new car replaced with a new door. Once it replaced according to manufacturers specifications then there isn't a problem. This sh1t happens all the time - from marine damage to forecourt damage. Maybe you can hassle the dealer into a freebie of two for your inconvenience (free first service, accessories) but if you want a brand new car then tell the dealer to reorder. Don't forget, the reordered one may be damaged in transit before the dealer gets it and you'll probably never know (nor will the dealer). In this instance the dealer is being honest and telling you what actually happened - some would make an excuse and employ delaying tactics while repairs ensue.

If you don't want the repaired car then it's a fresh order or walk away from the deal. It is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Churchy wrote: »

Cars get damaged.
    Dealer was honest.
    Keep or reject.

Stop
    Posting
    Bollocks
    On
    Boards.

Agree completely.

How the hell people think a brand new car is wrote off for a damaged door panel is beyond me.

Garage was honest and should make some gesture but 20% off?. I don't think so

If you are not happy wait for another car. Crap happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I'd say fair play to the Dealer for telling you. I'm fairly sure there are dealers out there who wouldn't have said a word and just repaired it and handed it over to you. As others have said if you don't want the repair reject the car simple.

If you want to keep the car see what the dealer offers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Keep it or reject it, but at least the dealer was honest enough to tell you. As long as the damage was confined to the door and the door is replaced by a new factory sprayed one (you can bolt on a part, but it's nearly impossible to replicate a factory spray job), I'd shame them into a free service and move on. Personally I'd value my dignity (and goodwill of a dealer I'll be talking to regularly over the next few years) over throwing a hissy fit in the showroom to get a few quid off.

Besides, if there's a 6 month waiting list he'll take the car back and work his way through his waiting list until he finds someone who'll take the car at list price, even with a new door. The car will be gone off the forecourt within 24 hours.

A friend of mine bought a brand new car a few years back and the bumper fell off as she drove it off the forecourt. It had been tapped up the arse between PDI and delivery and the dealer bodged it back together and wasn't going to say a thing to her. Needless to say that's one dealer I avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

congo_90 wrote: »
    Demand a new car. Make sure to bring somebody with you who knows (panel beater) to make sure they don't try flog it off to you. and also a 20% discount for the inconvenience. Its only fair after waiting this long.
    time to ring up mr solicitor op.

Jezus, there are some eejits on this board! Sorry to single you out congo, you are only one of many but this post best exemplifies the numb-skullery in exsistence here.

It is telling the MarkN - a guy who has bought more shiny motors than all of you schoolkids put together - had an altogether more mature response when something similar happened to him.

God I'm glad my job my job doesn't involve dealing weith the public - i'd give short shift to whingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

OP, if they are fitting a new door, the car will be just as it left the factory, nothing worth complaining about.
    I'd as them to throw in a free service for the hassel and time wasted, but to be fair they could have probably re-sprayed the door (depending on the amount of damage) and not told you a thing, and I am sure you would have still been happy with your new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OP, if they are fitting a new door, the car will be just as it left the factory, nothing worth complaining about.
    I'd as them to throw in a free service for the hassel and time wasted, but to be fair they could have probably re-sprayed the door (depending on the amount of damage) and not told you a thing, and I am sure you would have still been happy with your new car.

I had someone knock into my car when it was only three months old. the guy accepted the blame and organized the garage to fix it etc. I got it back and signed off that I was happy with it ( they also colour coded my bumpers for free ).

A year later I noticed the paint was duller where it had been damaged abd it was always noticable after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is two times when a brand new car is destroyed, one is when it has to be partially resprayed and the other is when milk is spilt in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

If anything I would just ask for the panel to be replaced if its that bad rather than a fill and spray job but either way if its done properly you wont be able to tell. I know of a lad who earns his living form just going to the dealers to fix the little dinks that are on lots of new cars off the lorry. Somehow dont think you will be getting 20% off as suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

seasam wrote: »
    the fact that his brand new car with 0 miles is now accident damaged and worth less money!

the fact that his brand new car with 0 miles is now accident damaged and worth less money!

But what has that to do with the Manufacturer/Distributor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Rubbish, why would it be worth less?! The car hasn't had the chasis bent or anything, its just the door!!
    You could say its not accident damaged at all, one could say its just some cosmetic damage!

If it is just the door that is damaged and it is replaced by a factory sprayed new one I dont see what the problem would be.

I would have no problem accepting the car if the door was replaced with a factory painted original. Its still a new car, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it, so what if the door got damaged, it will be as new.

Maybe get a free service thrown in as compensation for it being delayed to get the new door.

To be honest even if there wasnt a long waiting list on it i'd still take the car in the above situation.

I'm really not sure that a brand new car with a brand new door is worth less money.

Ok. If Volkswagen were taking one of there cars off the production line, and some1 scrapped the door, they would put on a new door and that would be that. U wouldn't know, any1 on this who has bought a new car could of had something replaced on it before it came into the country.

Wait and find out what the dealers says he is willing to do and after ye can argue ye're "20% percent" discount. This thread is gone off the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

How is it worth less money ? We don't even know how badly damaged the car is or what the dealer is prepared to do, these things happen I know it's not nice for the op but it could be a lot worse

This thread is gone off the walls.

Yep, and the best part is that the OP isn't even involved anymore - they're probably off talking to the dealer and getting on with their life while we all shadow-box.

</thread>

I think this thread should be locked until the OP comes back online. It's just pointless atm

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

MarkN wrote: »
    I'm really not sure that a brand new car with a brand new door is worth less money.

I don't really think so either. In two years time when the OP comes to sell it on, who will know the difference? Will the next buyer be entitled to a discount because the car got a brand new door before it even stepped off the forecourt? I think not.

However: in the OP's eyes, the car is now worth less to him because he knows it was damaged, but financially, the car still has the same Euro value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I don't think its as simple as whacking on a brand new, factory painted door. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't work like that!

Body parts like this will come completely stripped, unpainted and primed ready for painting by a bodyshop. So the new door will have to be painted locally and all the bits and bobs to go with it (trim, electric window motor, handles, locks, rub strips, etc, etc) will need to be bolted on too, whether these are salvaged from the "old" door or ordered new separately.
    So in all likelihood, the door (and adjoining panels to blend-in) will be re-sprayed.

Not so simple a job as some seem to suggest!

Advertisement