Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tyre(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Contiental Gp 4000, iv done 3000km so far this year and no punctures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

E@gle. wrote: »
    Contiental Gp 4000, iv done 3000km so far this year and no punctures

Price: €74.99 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

they are only twenty quid from pro bike kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Contis are very good, but not quite as good as Armadillos - having said that I now have a conti on the front - slightly better grip - and an Armadillo and the back for puncture protection - I prefer a rear wheel slide, if I really have to slide...

clown bag wrote: »
    Price: €74.99 :eek:

where did u see them for €74.99?? that price sounds like they are Tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Probably Cycleways. They charge insane prices for tyres.

where did u see them for €74.99?? that price sounds like they are Tubs.

You're right, I just done a quick google last night and wasn't paying too much attention. the €75 ones were tubs.

I'm actually going to order these ones http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2076 (thanks paddyb)

(yes, the shiney reflective strip caught my eye)

One more thing, they all seem to be 700x23 or 700 x25. The link above is 700x 25. Mine are currently 700x28. Will the 25's be ok?

You're right, I just done a quick google last night and wasn't paying too much attention. the €75 ones were tubs.

I'm actually going to order these ones http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y2076 (thanks paddyb)

(yes, the shiney reflective strip caught my eye)

One more thing, they all seem to be 700x23 or 700 x25. The link above is 700x 25. Mine are currently 700x28. Will the 25's be ok?

700x25 should be ok, the number 25 refers to the width of the tyre.

do you relaise that probikekit are out of stock of that particular tyre

do you relaise that probikekit are out of stock of that particular tyre
    yes, I noticed it when I went to order. I'm a very lazy web surfer. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed how crap PBK's stock has been of late. Half the stuff listed on the site is out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

check out chain-reaction -they have feck all in stock (well nothing i need right now anyway). must be the time of year.

gatorskinz are great commuters. last a long time too.

They've been fairly good to me of late. We must be buying different stuff. My current favourite is Ribble. Awesome selection of gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Anyone anything to say about the Pananracer Extremes.

el tonto wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed how crap PBK's stock has been of late. Half the stuff listed on the site is out of stock.

yeah the site is a bit of a mess at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

My Armadillos have served me well the past year, no punctures at all but I'm going to buy myself a new set this week. Was having a goo to see whats on offer. Anyone recommend a good set. (mostly for commuting but the odd long cycles too). Looking for the usual, puncture resistance, low rolling resistance and decent cornering / wet grip.

For me, the Michelin Krylion Carbon is the ideal clincher tyre for Irish roads, providing the best balance of rolling resistance, grip and durability. I would never look to anything else. They can be expensive at your LBS so be sure to look online (caveat: you occasionally hear rumours about some online retailers selling 'seconds' but I've never had a problem). The Krylion is available in different widths, but unless you regularly ride Paris-Roubaix (or Dingle-Dunquin) the 700x23 is probably what you want. Choose whatever colour works best for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I have rode a hell of a lot of tyres at this stage, but have settled on armadillo's the last few years because my cycling these days is mainly commutes/ weekend spins and the puncture protection is dependable.

Just curious if anyone has come across a tyre that offers reliable puncture protection, but isn't near as stiff and heavy. A lot people say Gatorskins, but I've never found them great, protection wise, to be honest. I've heard good things about the Vectran belt on the GP 4000 ?

I always change my Tyres for the summer as I put in extra mileage and would like something a bit more lively - anyone have any recomendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I have been using Vittoria Rubino Pro's for past few years and find them great value for what you get. I use 25,s as riding down here in the wilds sometimes feels like Paris Roubaix! Pair of Rubino Pro's + 2 tubes (specialized) for £28 on Wiggle at the moment. I suppose it like buying a pair of walkin shoes. everybody has their preference.

Advertisement