Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chocolate Syrup for Mokas

• 20-04-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations on what chocolate syrup to use for making a good Mocha?

This looks good:
    http://www.chocolateabyss.com/products/darkMocha.html

But cannot find where to buy it, hasbean.co.uk has their chocolate powder but not their Mocha syrup.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

The first two ingredients on the one you link to are Glucose-fructose syrup & sugar. That puts me off straight away. And despite their claims about 'higher cocoa content', the cocoa content is in fact only 15% - about half what you'd find in the cheapest, poorest quality milk chocolate. You need a much higher chocolate to sweetener ratio than that to make a good mocha. And don't be taken in by this 'melts easily into espresso' marketing-speak. Chocolate always melts easily when heat is applied.

I wouldn't use a syrup at all, good quality dark chocolate (I'd use 70%) & pure cocoa powder ftw. Vanilla cane sugar adjusted to taste. Dissolve into hot milk, whisk it up and add to espresso. Or if you've an espresso machine just put everything into a jug, steam it up with your wand and give it a stir before pouring over the espresso. Fantastic, easy and all-natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

rockbeer wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a syrup at all, good quality dark chocolate (I'd use 70%) & pure cocoa powder ftw. Vanilla cane sugar adjusted to taste. Dissolve into hot milk, whisk it up and add to espresso. Or if you've an espresso machine just put everything into a jug, steam it up with your wand and give it a stir before pouring over the espresso. Fantastic, easy and all-natural.

Sounds good - what brand cocoa powder do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I usually get the Fair Trade cocoa they sell in the Oxfam shop nr. Stephens Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

speaking of syrups and the like are they widely available ofline and not in dublin?

Rockbeer, I just tried it out, nicer than any Mocha I've had in a coffee shop :)

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    speaking of syrups and the like are they widely available ofline and not in dublin?

The flavoured ones? Some coffee shops sell them, starbucks for one, but wouldn't recommend starbucks syrups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wouldn't recommend starbucks anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i've tried a few places in galway this evening looking for them. no luck yet, but i'll try more tomorrow. also, galway has no starbucks, which is a good thing but there are rumors of one going into a building on shop street that is less than 100 metres from the only roasters in the west. if starbucks comes, my java may be lost in time :(

Advertisement