Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who, realistically, could sunderland sign in the summer?

• 20-04-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

Just watched the game today between Sunderland and Newcastle. The total ineptitude in the Sunderland attack stuck out like a sore thump. Kenwyn Jones was isolated. Andy Reid looked like the only one who could do something with the ball until the intro of Richardson. So, with an alledged €50mil kitty, who could they bring in? I.E. Who is out there with the qualities required, who would join a club of Sunderlands status?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

methinks Keane is going to have to stop looking at ex-Man utd and Celtic players also the Irish and Trinidad contingent is probably big enough at Sunderland. There are a lot of players on the continent who would love to play in the Premiership even if it is with the black cats, he could also do as im sure a number of Prem bosses are planning and raid the relegated sides Barnes, Forsell, Bullard and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

methinks Keane is going to have to stop looking at ex-Man utd and Celtic players also the Irish and Trinidad contingent is probably big enough at Sunderland. There are a lot of players on the continent who would love to play in the Premiership even if it is with the black cats, he could also do as im sure a number of Prem bosses are planning and raid the relegated sides Barnes, Forsell, Bullard and co.

So if you were at the helm, in your knowledge. Who would you sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Me. I'm also available for birthday parties and stags. Sorry. Do like Celtic and Rangers and buy some Dutch/German/Scandinavian players? Or maybe from Eastern Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

apparently Keane was really miffed at the prices he had to play for players in Britain so he's developed his entire scouting network to basically focus on europe and the smaller leagues. i'd say it's likely that we wont see another Chopra, and i'd expect to see a few unknown quantities from Eastern Europe or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Duffer, he might actually be ok if he could stay fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Duffer, he might actually be ok if he could stay fit.

Thinking that myself. Don't know if Duff would go though. Also, not sure whats happened his form. Maybe just injury after effects. but could be risky. Actually, whats the deal with Steve Sidwell. He was meant to be getting him at one stage no?

I think he needs some real pace up front, but can't for the life of me think of anyone. Bellamy:D That'd be a soap opera in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing is when Keane came in he was utterly shocked at the lack of a scouting network. It's no surprise he bought players he knows, because his football knowledge would be so limited. He however has done lots of work on the scouting network, so I'd imagine that next season we'll see many more foreign players.

That said, it is in the middle of bloody nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Sidwell
    Evans
    Bullard
    Nolan if bolton get relegated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

It'll be interesting to see now they they proved they are good enough to stay in the premiership (just about!), will players be more likely to sign for them.

brian mcbride would be a good signing for them if fulham go down. they could get one more decent season out of him

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Would be nice if they took Saha and O'Shea off United... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I would be shocked if Darren Fletcher is not a Sunderland player next season, I would say he would cost a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

With the introduction of the 7 subs rule next year it could be interesting what happens to utility players like O Shea and Fletcher.I highly doubt either will be going to sunderland though.

+1 for the saha comment, anyone can have him for that matter, free of course since he will cost ye a bomb in treatment costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hunt would be a good player for them.

I think that would be a great move for Hunt as it would secure him stability. I could just see him fizzling out if he went to a club like West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Would be surprised to see Fletcher sold to be honest, he's our 2nd choice DMC and thats important when you've got Hargreaves. Either way, if he did go, I think he'd go higher than Sunderland.

PHB wrote: »
    Would be surprised to see Fletcher sold to be honest, he's our 2nd choice DMC and thats important when you've got Hargreaves. Either way, if he did go, I think he'd go higher than Sunderland.

I do agree, in fact I think Fletcher is Spurs level. Obviously people like him and O'Shea do not look as good surrounded by outstanding players but they are top 10 quality players for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thing is, looking at the way the Championship is panning out - it is entirely possible that two clubs come up with next to zero premiership players; money and experience. So, if you are good enough to avoid relegation now, you should be feeling much safer for next year than you would normally (obviously this could change depending on how the last few games + the playoffs go).

As such, Keane and Sunderland should not feel it necessary to panic buy like they did last summer. Do they want to improve? Yes, of course they do. But they don't need a complete overhaul. Two or three quality signings and a removal of some of the chaff acquired over the last two windows and they should be more than good enough to survive again; establish themselves; make it easier to compete for real quality before season 3 etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

1. Permanent deal for Evans.
    2. Stephen Ireland is a realistic possibility.
    3. Would love to see Aidan McGeady on Wearside (worth 10-12 million approx). Not likely to happen though.
    4. A decent striker. Jason Roberts and Diego Forlan have been mentioned but the latter isn't too likely.
    5. Steve Sidwell.
    6. Wayne Bridge (especially if the wage scale is increased).
    7. Jimmy Bullard.
    8. Peter Crouch...a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

3. Would love to see Aidan McGeady on Wearside (worth 10-12 million approx). Not likely to happen though.

I could easily see this happening. keane probably knows him from his Celtic days and it's not as if the best SPL players jump into Man Utd and Chelsea. They have to settle for less and it would be an easy club to settle into. Virtually everybody speaks english as their first language.

Aside from that i think they'll move for very few english based players. Maybe Harewood could move over to give them some strength in depth but I think that the teams coming up are worse than those going down so they're safe next year. Cheap french imports all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

- Alan Smith
    - Stephen Carr
    - David Roezenhal
    - Damien Duff
    - Shola Ameobi

:D :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Pennant....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Aside from that i think they'll move for very few english based players. Maybe Harewood could move over to give them some strength in depth

Why would Harewood choose to be strength in depth at Sunderland instead of Villa? Maybe if he was guaranteed first team football like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Fully agree Bubs. McGeady's connection with Keane could certainly help a possible transfer. But I'm sure any hint of transfer activity between the clubs would alert the likes of Everton and Portsmouth who are contenders for champion's league qualification next year. If it's a straight choice I wouldn't fancy our odds :(.

Good one, Charlie :D. I'm sure buying all those Newcastle hand me downs at over inflated prices would earn him bonus points among the mackem faithful!

Good one, Charlie :D. I'm sure buying all those Newcastle hand me downs at over inflated prices would earn him bonus points among the mackem faithful!

Stolen form kinaldo

Edit: Oops, wrong link originally.

ziggy wrote: »

I don't think it would be a drop down at all, nor would it be a step up though.

Stolen form kinaldo

Edit: Oops, wrong link originally.
    More disgraceful Newcastle propaganda...:mad:. Here's what really happens when Newcastle united infantilise and belittle the manager of Sunderland.
    5095534_7_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyoen mentioned Voronin yet...?

He may go in for a few loan deals. Godo players, shorter term, certianly cheaper. That and a few dutch players no one's ever heard of.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

More disgraceful Newcastle propaganda...:mad:. Here's what really happens when Newcastle united infantilise and belittle the manager of Sunderland.
    5095534_7_3.jpg

Jaysus, need to get the microscope out to see that image, but hey, everything Sunderland does compared to us is small fry :D (Ah no, I jest)

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Anyoen mentioned Voronin yet...?

He may go in for a few loan deals. Godo players, shorter term, certianly cheaper. That and a few dutch players no one's ever heard of.

Even I, a Newcastle supporter, wouldn't wish that upon the Mackems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Guthrie on loan maybe??

Well what else is he going to do. Top 4 won't touch him. Won't get into the Spurs everton, Villa, Blackburn or Pompey and after that the teams are much the same. Why not join one where he knows the manager and around have the players play for the same national team. He's done everything he can do in scotland he should move on.

Actually there is. They both market themselves as Irish clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Actually there is. They both market themselves as Irish clubs.

Zing!

A move to Sundireland would be a massive step down for McGeady. Going from Champions League to a relegation battle. No thanks.

Maybe he could join Sven's revolution.....I'd take him.

• Advertisement

Well they are the only club with a shop in Dublin......

Funny, because I could swear that I always see 50 or so Tri-coulours at Kel-Tick
    games yet not a single St. Andrew's Cross.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Xavi has you there. hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look, Celtic's 8 - 12 games a year in the Champions league are all well and good; but playing in the premiership week in, week out would mean that a player is playing at a higher standard on average over the course of the year than if he is stuck in the SPL. I would say 7 of the SPL teams would be unable to achieve a playoff place in the Championship.

Now, playing week in week out in the SPL / CL is better than being on the bench in the premiership (ala Liam Miller). But if McGeady was to get 30 games a season plus for Sunderland it would help him develop quicker than if he remains at Celtic. As an Irish fan with an interest in our players progressing their careers and abilities as far as possible - I would be happier if he began next season at Sunderland than at Celtic.

Aren't you forgetting all those clubs who come from countries where they don't quite qualify for the Champions League because theres other good teams in their league. Credit where its due, qualifying for the knockout stages was really impressive. But they wouldn't be better than the likes of Tottenham, Villa, Everton and City. They just don't have the same level of player. Neither do Rangers for that matter.

I agree that Sunderland are crap and that Celtic or bigger but what can he achieve there now? He's won the SPL twice and Celtic are far too crap now to make a run in Europe. I presume he wants something more in life than reaching the last 16.

Also, as for Sunderland couldn't afford him, how much do you think they'd get for him. Scottish players rarely go for over 10 million and Sunderland spent 50 last season.

Also, I'm not so sure he can do much better, Newcastle maybe but I don't see the other mid table clubs being able to afford him if they want him. They either have no money or far too much and if they have too much they're gonna chase somebody ridiculous like Ronaldinho

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Maloney's and Petrov's have not gone backwards it shows the gulf between the SPL and Premier League, although I still think Petrov is a good player

As for McGeady signing for Sunderland it would not be the best move for his career but I would like to see him move to a Premier League club

Diego Capel to Spurs...McGeady to Sevilla.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement