Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching

• 20-04-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey,

This will be a long and probably boring read but I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm currently in Spain teaching English as a foreign language. The thing is, like most, I didn't know what career I wanted after school or uni. So , I did the CELTA in IH dublin and worked in Dublin for a bit before heading to Espana. Now I want to get into primary at home. I got an honours c1 in Irish although I need to brush up alot with said Irish. I hope to get some experience subbing and see from there if this is really for me. So some questions for you enlightened masses.

1. Is there any good place in Dublin to do an evening Irish revision course during the summer as I will be teaching at an EFL school?

2. Is it feasible to sub whilst doing the hibernia course in terms of study workload?

3. Also with the Hibernia does it matter where you live in terms of travelling to the different lectures? I'm from Limerick but will be in Dublin for a bit.

4. Can you have study group sessions if you do the Hibernia for assignments and such?

5. Would I find it easier to get into postgrads being male?

6. When should I apply for subbing and how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 haille

It is feasible to sub while doing Hibernia course.Put your name down at teaching centres.There is one at least in each county.As an ex principal you may have advantage in being male in getting into primary teaching especially as the minister has launched a campaign to attract more males into primary teaching.Having said that obviously in CAO terms its first past the points threshold that applies. If you find it difficult to get sub work consider doing a course for special needs assistant. If you succeded in getting some hours as a special needs assistant,you would get a good insight into what happens in the classroom each day, subjects ,timetables,integration,groupings and daily challenges.You would then be in a better position to decide if this is the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sorcha Dorcha

Hello, I am Irish and am a primary teacher. I was recently offered a job in Asturias, Gijon as a teacher in a private British school. Wages are 21, 838 per year, about 420 per week. My hours are 9:15a.m. to 16:15P.M. In comparison to Ireland those wages are v low. I know cost of living there is cheaper, but gosh how much cheaper? 420 a week feels like barely enough to feed oneself. Could people tell me there opinions? Any help/information is really appreciated! Also I am a qualified primary teacher from Gaeltacht, what would you like to know re: getting into teaching.....

Advertisement