Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cyclists caused a big traffic jam today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ART6 wrote: »
    The difference betweentheir rights and those of the motorists and commercial vehicle operators is that we pay dearly to use the roads and they don't.
    There is no difference in rights according to how much tax you pay. Driving and cycling on the roads is a privilege to be shared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

ART6 wrote: »
    Tis true that cyclists have every right to be on the road, and to hold everyone else up while they do it. The difference betweentheir rights and those of the motorists and commercial vehicle operators is that we pay dearly to use the roads and they don't.

Most cyclists are motorists and pay tax that goes towards road building and upkeep. And anyway, AFAIK revenue collected from motor tax is not ring fenced for roads.

What do you mean hold everyone else up? You mean being delayed for a few minutes at the most. Tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Joe Malone

People, this thread is not about cyclists versus motorists! Its about support vehicles driving at 10mph with hazards on causing a 10 mile tailback.

I got a phone call from Noel Brett, CEO of the Road Safety Authority today stating his concern at what happened and he also advised me that he is taking up the matter with the Superintentant in charge of the traffic corp for the area in An Garda Siochana. Hopefully sense will prevail and this club will be instructed to refrain from such behaviour in future!

Studoc - I was delayed for approx 45 minutes. And its not tough, such inconsiderate use of the roads is, in fact, in contravention of the rules of the road. I have had enough of it and my thread (if you bothered to read it) was posted looking for advice on how to ensure this doesn't happen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Joe Malone wrote: »
    People, this thread is not about cyclists versus motorists! Its about support vehicles driving at 10mph with hazards on causing a 10 mile tailback.

I got a phone call from Noel Brett, CEO of the Road Safety Authority today stating his concern at what happened and he also advised me that he is taking up the matter with the Superintentant in charge of the traffic corp for the area in An Garda Siochana. Hopefully sense will prevail and this club will be instructed to refrain from such behaviour in future!

it was a sunday, not a busy day for roads in the grand scheme of things.:)

what about other sporting events?? road races etc, marathon???
    what about learner drivers going too slow?? what about the coffin dodgers on the roads???

hope the RSA is told to **** off, they are gobsh!tes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is a bit of a tricky one though.

A bicycle club (or whatever the group was that set out on that cycle) should have the rigth/opportunity to do a long run like this.

Having seen the group, there were quite a lot of them at different levels of fitness and equipment. Organising something like this must be really difficult.
    There were several support vehicles to help/collect stragglers or breakdowns, a medical team and several vehicles with warning beacons protecting the bikers.

You couldn't really let 100+ cyclists out there without protection ...there would be carnage as the group stretches out and desperate motorists try to pass ...so you need some vehicles to shield them.

Where to undertke such a venture though?

R- roads are out, unless you block them off completely.
    That leaves N-roads where there is a chance of using the hard shoulder so that traffic can get past on occasion.

Blocking off traffic for miles on end on the other hand isn't really on either.

Maybe for the next outing this group should get advice and assistance from the garda, so that the route can be planned and monitored to cause as little disruption as possible.

Hopefully sense will prevail and this club will be instructed to refrain from such behaviour in future!
    Be careful what you wish for. Whatever about the support vehicles driving at 10mp, it is 100% lawful for cyclists to ride two abreast on the roadway (and not on the hard shoulder).

Studoc - I was delayed for approx 45 minutes. And its not tough, such inconsiderate use of the roads is, in fact, in contravention of the rules of the road. I have had enough of it and my thread (if you bothered to read it) was posted looking for advice on how to ensure this doesn't happen again!

The next time it happens, pull over when it's safe to do so, step outside the car and take a deep breath. Reflect on the fact that the remains of dead dinosaurs are an unsustainable means of propulsion. And exhale.

axer wrote: »
    Wow, no need to overreact - I said I wasn't sure. So I could drive all the way from Galway to Dublin on the hard shoulder when on national primary routes legally?

As I said, the support vehicles would still need to be out on to the road to protect the cyclists from motorists driving fast by them.

Support vehicles DO NOT need to be out on the road. Your viewpoint is, unfortunately, shared by the morons who organised yesterdays event. It is however a blatant breach of the rules of the road, contravenes road safety and caused an unacceptable tailback affecting hundreds of people. I have the registration numbers of quite a few of the vehicles involved and am sharing this with the gardai - this seems to be the only way to deal with these knobs, common sense seems to be beyond them!

axer wrote: »
    Wow, no need to overreact - I said I wasn't sure. So I could drive all the way from Galway to Dublin on the hard shoulder when on national primary routes legally?

As I said, the support vehicles would still need to be out on to the road to protect the cyclists from motorists driving fast by them.
    Studoc wrote: »
    The next time it happens, pull over when it's safe to do so, step outside the car and take a deep breath. Reflect on the fact that the remains of dead dinosaurs are an unsustainable means of propulsion. And exhale.

I think you are on the wrong forum tree hugger - I guess you are just back from insulting the chinese at your happy clappy love in! LOL

• Advertisement

It is however a blatant breach of the rules of the road,
    I am sure there were some breaches. For example, driving on hazards and cycling on the hard shoulder. What other regulations do you think were breached? Let's be clear on what you laws you claim were broken..

Be careful what you wish for. Whatever about the support vehicles driving at 10mp, it is 100% lawful for cyclists to ride two abreast on the roadway (and not on the hard shoulder).

I am aware of the rules of the road - the support vehicle drivers on teh other hand obviously don't. A primary rule of the road (especially relevant for slow moving road users) is to exercise due consideration for other road users.
    Cyclists riding two abrest is perfectly acceptable especially in the hard shoulder. I can only imagaine a complete ar$ehole cycling on the roadway where a hardshoulder is available. In fact only a complete ar$ehole would even come up with such a suggestion.
    I reckon such an ar$ehole would have bigger problems in life though than just pi$$ing evryone off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

there was a similar event going down the n11 a few weeks ago - thankfully the motor vehicles had the sense to be in the same lane as the cyclists.

now this did cause some delay but nothing like the tailback described

A primary rule of the road (especially relevant for slow moving road users) is to exercise due consideration for other road users.!
    That works two ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

I am sure there were some breaches. For example, driving on hazards and cycling on the hard shoulder. What other regulations do you think were breached? Let's be clear on what you laws you claim were broken..
    Studoc wrote:

Lads, all due respect, but these sort of comments do little other than reinforce the view held by some (and not necessarily me) that cyclists are somewhat self righteous and whingey.

Get over it, you cannot in all fairness argue delaying someone for 45 minutes is reasonable. Fair point about delays from matches and so forth, but I think we need a sense of proportionailty. 30,000 -80,000 people attend a match, 100 people we causing the hassle with the bikes.

That works two ways.

and you seem to only see it one way. even your handle suggests a bias!

I think you are on the wrong forum tree hugger - I guess you are just back from insulting the chinese at your happy clappy love in! LOL

Yes, pass the lentils! You got delayed. Big deal. You don't have an inherent right to travel at the speed limit. Cyclists are the most vulnerable road user. The support vehicles were doing the right thing by driving on the road, shielding the cyclists from impatient drivers (you).

Wrong. check out the current edtion of the Rules of the Road page 161 .....

Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.

also (same page)

Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic.

It doesn't define heavy traffic but I guess 10 mile tailback might count as heavy!

Yes, pass the lentils! You got delayed. Big deal. You don't have an inherent right to travel at the speed limit. Cyclists are the most vulnerable road user. The support vehicles were doing the right thing by driving on the road, shielding the cyclists from impatient drivers (you).

Wrong. Not if they are driving without due consideration for other road users, and quit the self righteous whinging!

Wrong. Not if they are driving without due consideration for other road users, and quit the self righteous whinging!

The self righteous whinging and lack of consideration is coming from another source I think. On a Sunday afternoon, you get "delayed" by 30 - 45 minutes by a large group of cyclists and their support vehicles. Was it a charity ride? Or was it just a group of people out for some fresh air and exercise? Do you think that might be a little more important than you getting to Dublin a few minutes later than expected?

• Advertisement

I have mentioned plenty of breaches on my other posts - incidentially cycling in a hard shoulder is perfectly legal. Slow driving is against the rules of the road ....

....From page 89 of the current rules of the road
    "While you must keep a safe distance away from the vehicle in front, you should not drive so slowly that your vehicle unnecessarily blocks other road users. If you drive too slowly, you risk frustrating other driver, which could lead to dangerous overtaking."

Wrong. check out the current edtion of the Rules of the Road page 161 .....
    Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.
    also (same page)
    Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic.
    They're recommendations, not law.What laws were broken? Unless directed by a Garda to do otherwise, cyclists may cycle two abreast on the roadway, not the hard shoulder. If you want cyclists to obey the law at all times, they'll be happy to comply. If you'd like them to move over, then do something nice in return, like not parking on cycle tracks even though you are allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The self righteous whinging and lack of consideration is coming from another source I think. On a Sunday afternoon, you get "delayed" by 30 - 45 minutes by a large group of cyclists and their support vehicles. Was it a charity ride? Or was it just a group of people out for some fresh air and exercise? Do you think that might be a little more important than you getting to Dublin a few minutes later than expected?

A few minutes = 2-5 mins, not 45. In fairness, stop sticking up for what were clearly actions impeding other users of the road, when they did not need to. Indeed, cyclists have the right to do something like this, organise a ride and possibly raise some money for charity, and I don' think any reasonable person has an issue with that. People also would have no issue being held up for "a few minutes", but a 10 mile tail back usually is a warrant for the vehicles in charge to pull over and stop, allowing traffic to pass.

If that happend the OP would be bearly inconvenienced, the cyclists and the motorists can share the road in peace and everyone has a good Sunday. This constant attitude from cyclists that motorists are out to get them, or are the source of all evil, is ridiculous. Showing common courtesy works BOTH ways as cyclopath said, and that means allowing a build up of traffic to pass every so often.

Of course the good man Cyclopath chooses the direct word of the law over the word of the actual rules of the road to defend his position, when showing courtesy to others should be common sense anyway........

Getting delayed unnecessarily for 45 minutes onto an already long 3 hour journey by people who blatantly disregard the rules of the road - multiply that by hundreds of travellers and I think that most reasonable people can see that its unreasonable. Were you there? Or are you just another immature "cyclists versus motorists" muppet?

Were you there? Or are you just another immature "cyclists versus motorists" muppet?

Hammer. Nail. Head. :)

They're recommendations, not law.What laws were broken? Unless directed by a Garda to do otherwise, cyclists may cycle two abreast on the roadway, not the hard shoulder. If you want cyclists to obey the law at all times, they'll be happy to comply. If you'd like them to move over, then do something nice in return, like not parking on cycle tracks even though you are allowed to.

Wrong again. The book is called the "Rules of the Road". You may need to consult a distionary to understand the concept.
    Read the page (p 161) it states:
    "The table below sets down particular road traffic rules on cycling which you must obey."
    I recommend you read it!

Getting delayed unnecessarily for 45 minutes onto an already long 3 hour journey by people who blatantly disregard the rules of the road - multiply that by hundreds of travellers and I think that most reasonable people can see that its unreasonable. Were you there? Or are you just another immature "cyclists versus motorists" muppet?

Neither. I'm a motorist and cyclist. Did you get back in time for Corrie? Life can be so unfair sometimes.

Neither. I'm a motorist and cyclist. Did you get back in time for Corrie? Life can be so unfair sometimes.

Don't watch it but I understand it doesn't air on Sundays anymore. Me thinks you escaped from Jim Hensons lovenest!!! The attempt at humour when you have been comprehensively proven wrong is quite sad!

I have seen some high horses in my time on Boards, but you have truly taken 1st place here. How utterly pretentious and condescending the above post is. How dare you think it is ok to hold up a motorist for 45 minutes simply due to the organizers/cyclists/support vehicles of whoever not paying attention. Maybe you life is so empty that you can waste 45 mins of your day off stuck behind someone, but most peoples is'nt. Standing up for peoples actions when they were clearly not showing common courteously to others on the road is only tainting the image of cyclists in general making them out to be those that believe they are above the normal rules of the road. Maybe they did'nt break the Law as set out in the statute book, but they certainly broke the rules of the road as recently published. Such selfish actions help no one.

• Advertisement

Don't watch it but I understand it doesn't air on Sundays anymore. Me thinks you escaped from Jim Hensons lovenest!!! The attempt at humour when you have been comprehensively proven wrong is quite sad!

Proven wrong? Comprehensively? By you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement