Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids birthday party - any ideas?

Options
  • 20-04-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

I'm organising a birthday party for my 2 year old son next July. I'd love an idea apart from the usual Bouncy Castles? There will be 15 aged 2 - 9 in my house/garden (weather permitting). There will be a similar amount of adults there too but it's the young ones I'm concerned about.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Hmmm.. A lot of baloons! Children loves them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Go with the usual. there is a reason why it is so popular as children love it. Its the adults that have a wish to be different :D

Play games with them, and i mean proper games with adults playing. And play for an hour or two... Do both, kids use so much energy on a bouncy castle. Do both: games & castle.

The difficulty of the games can depend on the age of the kids. Things like Traffic lights, musical chairs, pass the parcel, that moving/stopping games with person looking the other way (obviously no idea what it is called??), they are loads of them

I built an obstacle course in the back for my 6 year old the other day by accident, and he adored it. As did my 2 1/2 year old. And i am now trying to build it bigger & better :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Bouncy castles can be frigging lethal, our neighbour's kid dislocated a hip in one a couple of years ago, she was in hospital for 4 months in case the blood-flow to her leg was cut off. Not to mention the skulls cracking off one another, sprained ankles and the like.

Then again, where's the fun without the risk. :)

I'd say games organised by you and the other adults taking part. Kids love this. There used to be people who had a column in the Saturday Times about it, can't find a link now.

The old faves, pass the parcel, musical chairs, moving statues, talent show.

Wish I had kids. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

The Gift & Festivity & Party Ideas forum might give you some info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah , either the above or Parenting

Try Monkey Business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Drunken bouncy castle is a lot of fun, give us a holler when the kids party is over :D

You could do something 'craft-y', give 'em something to bring home with them. Or I like the obstacle course idea. Get some old cardboard boxes, what not, the older ones can help build it and then everyone can run it. They can keep re-arranging it. Also maybe an egg hunt sort of thing (I know it's not easter) or a scavenger hunt (well 2 might be young for a scavenger hunt).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It' good to see youre steering away from the Busy-Bees/McDonalds party types..they cost a bomb..there is nothing better than a home-made party, kids will remember them and enjoy them. Ive more tips than ideas..

Yes, Balloons! Can't go wrong with them! And at the end of the evening have a few prizes for the older kids to see who can pick up the most balloon remains frm your garden:D okay that's cheeky, but effective! Have the kids split inot two teams, and do silly things with the balloons like race to the end of the garden with it between their legs, and play Over and Under etc..

Pass the parcel is great too, just have sweets or trinkets as gifts and mark them discreetly with boy/girl..

Statues and musical Chairs ..basically anything with music..

And dont buy too much sweets/stuff cos kids don't really end up eating it anyway..Crisps are handy, rice krispie buns are easy to make,

Dont but fizzy drinks, buy sugar-free diluted stuff..youre not being cheap, youre being a health conscious uncle, and also if you give kids aged 2-9 fanta and skittles...prepare for sticky fights and tears!

Obstacle course is a great idea if you have the space..what about limbo? Sweeping brush and two adults either side holding it? add some music...

I'll try think of games if you need help:) Ive a book load!

Advertisement