Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum mic help

Options
  • 20-04-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Ok, I'm looking looking for a GOOD set of drum mics but i don't really know what i'm doing.

right so...
    I was browzing thomann when i came across the T.BONE DC4000 setand it was only alittle over €260. So i was like ahh, it won't be that good....then the RRP caught my eye €798???? Then i thought erm...maybe it is desent afterall but after checking on other sites it nearly always the cheeped price, so is it any good?
    I know someone like shure would probobly be better but as i said i don;t know what i doing
    Thanks in advanced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

If you have a few bob to spend on mics your going to be better off staying away from the packs. I know they seem like great value but youll end up wishing you spent a bit more in the long run.

A friend of mine uses 2x Rode NT5 overhead mics, 4x Shure SM57s for toms and snare and an AKG D112 for the bass drum. I think its a good setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

patrick151 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm looking looking for a GOOD set of drum mics but i don't really know what i'm doing.
    While the packs may seem convenient now, they may not necessarily represent the best options available. I'd recommend you get yourself one of the following Kick Mics: Beta 52A/D112/Beta 91 as well as one of the following Snare Mics: SM57/Beta 57A. Tom Mics check out Sennheiser E604 - impossible to beat for the money and will last years of abuse.

The above would be the industry standard options to get you going. If you've anything left for Overheads then you can take your pick of whatever you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

patrick151... I was in a similar position a couple of weeks back. I asked the same question & got some great advice. See this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055270543

Looks like I'm going to opt for D112 (kick) SM57s (snare & toms) & SE2200s for overheads... I'm just waiting on some prices before I go ahead.

BTW, I agree with Eoin &Savman's points about the drum mic sets.. they seem like good value initially, but unless you're spending big bucks, you don't really get the "best" mic for each drum. Based on all the feedback I got here, I'd focus on spending on the mics which will be busiest (i.e. kick, snare & overheads). You can always spend on better tom mics down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Tkanks all, very much appriceiated!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

just my 2cents worth but avoid Beta models. I find them very harsh and brittle, which is of course the way they're designed to sound; in my opinion, for 'engineers' who cant get things to 'cut' in the mix.

cynical? me? I've got it down to a fine art!

ADO

• Advertisement
Advertisement