Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to upload 40Gb...

Options
  • 20-04-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

might be the wrong place to ask this, but here goes...

I have about 40Gb of data i need uploaded to Amazon S3 services. at the moment, i am uploading on a 8mb down, 512k up BT line. this is slow, as you can immagine. it have uploaded rougly 650mb in a little over 3 and a half hours.

is there a better way of doing this? does anyone know of a Wifi hostpost which would not have a problem with me uploading large amounts of data (its plain old HTTP and HTTPS traffic)? what about Internet Cafe?

I can have the data on external HDD and i can travel anywhere its needed....

Thanks in advance, and hopefully not in the wrong place...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Do you have access to a college? Most net cafes don't have very fast connections. If you know someone with a synchronous IBB connection that might do the trick. I used to get 250 k per second up on one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

no access to a college, and dont know anyone with IIB broadband... anyone know if the broadband at McDonnalds is any good?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lotas wrote: »
    no access to a college, and dont know anyone with IIB broadband... anyone know if the broadband at McDonnalds is any good?
    I'd say it would be a standard 1Mb or 2Mb connection from eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

40gb? lol, get an external hdd, and physically put it onto the machine. Unless you somehow manage to get hold of a 20/20Mb Fibre connection, I'd say you'll be quite some time on any irish isp. also i'd watch your cap too.. throttled to twice dialup wouldn't do you any favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I can have the data on external HDD and i can travel anywhere its needed....

Amsterdam ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd just wander into a college to do it, would take no time at all. Mmm college, up to 5 meg a second down :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I'd just wander into a college to do it, would take no time at all. Mmm college, up to 5 meg a second down :-)

Need college ID, wifi password etc?

the server is sitting in the states (using Amazon S3) so pluging directly into the machine is not an option. now to find a student in a college with a fat pipe...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Need college ID, wifi password etc?

Just a password. to a student: 'hey dude, know any passwords i could use for the day'

Probably get one, i have a dozen. :P

For where? what college? maybe a deal could be in order... :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Fed Ex...

DeV.

I'm not in dublin but I imagine you could ask somebody in a dub college if really stuck. If you were in galway i'd let you do it, mmm admin account. :-d

It's not that hard, not even have a friend of a friend in college, somebodys child etc

yea, might chance my arm finding oneone in college... though Galway is only down the road.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

5 Mb or MB? :)

If MB :o wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Amsterdam ;)

Symettric connections aren't very common in the Netherlands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Apart from a college, maybe check about a small internet provider locally and make a nice offer, money talks ;-)

DeVore wrote: »
    Fed Ex...

DeV.

Like the man says, just burn a bunch of dvd's?

best option, yes, but since Amazon wont take my data and upload to their servers, im a little screwed with that option...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I'm not in dublin but I imagine you could ask somebody in a dub college if really stuck. If you were in galway i'd let you do it, mmm admin account. :-d

Surely this is the answer? Get the external drive into your car/van/bike/tricycle and pedal! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'll upload to data for you, I'm sitting on BackBone pipe so the bottle neck will be Amazon server ;)

Price for upload starts at 9.95€ per Mb for the first Gb and then a low-low price of 4.95€ per Mb for the remainder.

• Advertisement

Hehe. Surely he is getting along nicely with another 24 hours under the belt?
    Could you upload it in different places at the same time?

Not sure if it is Mb or MB but I think MB, rarely ever would get that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭SeanW

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I'll upload to data for you, I'm sitting on BackBone pipe so the bottle neck will be Amazon server ;)

Price for upload starts at 9.95€ per Mb for the first Gb and then a low-low price of 4.95€ per Mb for the remainder.

Total cost, if I've read this right €202,975.

It would be cheaper for the OP to emigrate to Holland to do the transfer.

OP, if time is not an issue, keep at it with your BT connection, BT does allow people some leeway with their caps, and if you can leave your PC on 24 hours for a few days, you should get the rest of the stuff up.

BOFH_139 wrote: »

I think you mean Gb in both cases?

I don't know about BT but Eircom only apply the cap to downloading, not uploading.

If you are still stuck OP then send me a PM...

well, its been a little over a week, and i decided to uploading using my BT Line. so far, 30Gb uploaded, pretty much 24/7. BT, on their usage site, has said i am over my cap... not sure what this means. only downloaded 8gb this month, but uploaded 32! :) on their FAQ page (http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_faq.shtml#12) they say:

Is there a data-transfer limit?
    1Mb limit: 10GB
    2Mb limit: 20GB
    3Mb limit: 30GB

You will be entitled to use these limits in either direction without penalty.
    If you go over these limits we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 1 cents including VAT per MB).

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account in the first month that you are over.

if they perminantly disconnect me, do i have to finish paying my contract? its 12 months, have had it 3. its not my primary internet connection (have a 6mb NTL cable connection for internet hosting, and everything else) but wanted the BT line for uploads of photos, etc, and not taking main upload bandwidth...

anyway, Smart are offering a better connection (15mb down, 1mb up)... should i be worried about going over my cap and getting disconnected?

If you go over these limits we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 1 cents including VAT per MB).

I'd be more worried about this than being disconnected. 40GB total so far, and likely 50GB in total (projected) = €200 (using 1000MB = 1Gb) extra charges if they decide to charge you

has anyone ever been charged for the extra data?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They probably won't charge. BT seem to be throtling people who download excessively (over 100GBs). You should be fine.

• Advertisement

well then i will keep uploading till im finished! :) heh

Advertisement