Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't let me get scammed!

Options
  • 20-04-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hey all, i'm just checking something, i've been looking for a place to stay in Dublin and i've been emailing a prospective landlord but something just doesn't sit right with me about it. The address he's supplied me with is:
    3289 MONAGHAN STREET
    dublin
    Dublin 6w
    Ireland

but i can't find it at all. Can anyone verify it's existance for me? I can't even find the street!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

3289?? That seems a bit high. If that's the right number it would have to be a pretty long street and in that case it shouldn't be very hard to find...

Hmmmm...... :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

sounds suspect.

maybe theres some sort of explanation tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Definite scam, never heard of a Monaghan St in Dublin 6w and I would have since it seems very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Maybe I'm being over suspicious but i can't find it on the an post website either. and in his last email he said he'll send keys over by DHL next day delivery, AFTER i send him first months rent and security deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Sounds more like Dublin, California and not Dublin, Ireland:

http://www.trulia.com/property/1053307708-3372-Monaghan-St-Dublin-CA-94568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Do not give this man a cent. Its a scam

That would explain the high number and name of street but he put ireland down as part of the address. hmmmm i think i'll avoid this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's a scam. If the street did exist it would be something like

123 fake street
    templegoue
    Dublin 6w

It would just be the street name, the dublin, then dublin 6w aswell.

Scammers these days are getting awful lazy. Where did you get this retards email address?

site called craig's list. the guys email address is mathew.close@gmail.com if it can black listed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How could you not think it was a scam?

3289 (Point 1 - unbelievable no.) MONAGHAN STREET (Point 2 - upper case)
    dublin (Point 3 - inappropriate, and all lower case)
    Dublin 6w (Point 4 - lower case 'w')
    Ireland (Point 5 - inappropriate)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Mate, I don't know Dublin 6w, but you obviously smell a scam - so does everyone else here - so it's likely to be a scam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Scam, the high street number should give it away.

As somebody else said, somebody from that area (emailing somebody in Ireland) would just say street/area/dublin 6w.

Don't part with rent cash purely on the basis of an email anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You can rent the place below me. It's a 7 bedroom apartment with an indoor heated swimming pool, just send me 1 months rent (500 euros) and I'll post you the keys: :pac:

32 MONAGHAN STREET
    Dublin
    Dublin 6w
    Ireland

They say there's one born every minute. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you're trying to rent an apartment, from Craigslist, without seeing it first and sending the rent by post?!?

I have some magic beans here you may also be interested in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Where the hell did Dublin 6W come from? Seriously I've never thought Dublin needed the numbers and now it has letters too?

If An Post want a postcode system do it right like the UK and US where the full code actually narrows down the location to a particular street/building so the only other information you need would be a house number/name and also implement it countrywide.

We all know the numbers are bollocks anyway, you could address something completely correctly but get the number wrong i.e. 12 Fake Street, Glasnevin, Dublin 6 and it would still get to the correct address. But I suppose what everyone else does An Post must ape, and ape badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alwaysb

Dublin 6w is a real area code. W = West. Kimmage, Harolds Cross etc.

But yes, sounds like scam. Would you not think to view a place before you commit to living there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

esel wrote: »
    How could you not think it was a scam?

He did, hence this thread. If he didn't think it was a scam this thread would be alot different :p

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Where the hell did Dublin 6W come from? Seriously I've never thought Dublin needed the numbers and now it has letters too?

It is an actual postcode. As said above, it's Kimmage, Harold's Cross, Templeogue, and parts of Terenure.

I was told (on boards, I think) that it was was cooked up when certain sections of D6 refused a mooted transfer to D12, hence the compromise.

stovelid wrote: »
    It is an actual postcode. As said above, it's Kimmage, Harold's Cross, Templeogue, and parts of Terenure.

I was told (on boards, I think) that it was was cooked up when certain sections of D6 refused a mooted transfer to D12, hence the compromise.

In 1985, Dublin 6 was divided, with some areas, such as Templeogue, Kimmage and Terenure becoming part of a new district in order to facilitate processing of mail by a new sorting office for those areas. Residents of some areas objected to the assignation of the next available number, "Dublin 26," for the new postal district, citing property devaluation (the higher numbered districts typically representing less affluent, and typically less central regions). An Post ultimately relented, and the district became known as Dublin 6W (Confusingly the Eastern half of the old D6 postcode area remained "Dublin 6" rather than "Dublin 6E").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_postal_districts

In 1985, Dublin 6 was divided, with some areas, such as Templeogue, Kimmage and Terenure becoming part of a new district in order to facilitate processing of mail by a new sorting office for those areas. Residents of some areas objected to the assignation of the next available number, "Dublin 26," for the new postal district, citing property devaluation (the higher numbered districts typically representing less affluent, and typically less central regions). An Post ultimately relented, and the district became known as Dublin 6W (Confusingly the Eastern half of the old D6 postcode area remained "Dublin 6" rather than "Dublin 6E").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_postal_districts

Thanks Gavin. I'm half-right as ever... :)

What were they complaining about? Who needs D6? D22, D24, D26. Nice continuity to it. ;)

• Advertisement

Something was supposely happening with Knocklyon last year, An Post or something wanted to change their postcode to Dublin 24 (Tallaght) and it caused uproar with the Knocklyon community. I'm sure someone else will have more information on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Incredibly, I know of someone who actually fell for this scam on craigslist-it may even be the same conman. The victim was an American woman who was coming over here to live and whom I had been helping to find a place before she arrived. I hadn't heard from her for a couple of weeks until she got here so I presumed that the last place I advised her on (a legitimate daft share ad) had gone through.
    When she arrived we were talking about her apartment when she started talking about DHL coming with keys. Then I heard the words 'Nigeria' and 'Western Union' :eek:
    At first, I was expecting her to start laughing-surely no-one wires money to Nigeria-but she was serious. It took 2 days before she finally accepted that her keys weren't coming.
    So there you go-people do fall for these and that's why the scammers persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Putting in his email address in Google brings up this:
    http://en.advisto.com/classifieds-auctions-answer/classified-ads-88389.htm

Looks like he is in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

latenia wrote: »
    Incredibly, I know of someone who actually fell for this scam on craigslist-it may even be the same conman. The victim was an American woman who was coming over here to live and whom I had been helping to find a place before she arrived. I hadn't heard from her for a couple of weeks until she got here so I presumed that the last place I advised her on (a legitimate daft share ad) had gone through.
    When she arrived we were talking about her apartment when she started talking about DHL coming with keys. Then I heard the words 'Nigeria' and 'Western Union' :eek:
    At first, I was expecting her to start laughing-surely no-one wires money to Nigeria-but she was serious. It took 2 days before she finally accepted that her keys weren't coming.
    So there you go-people do fall for these and that's why the scammers persist.

Was there any attempt to get more money? The pattern of these scams is generally, "you haven't received the keys? That's because I need an extra €500 to pay DHL the access transfer exchange tax...." :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty obvious to us all at this stage that there's a guy sitting at a computer in Nigeria or somewhere who wanted to scam people with fake rental properties, but he ended up getting the street address from Dublin, California, which is what makes it look so obvious :rolleyes:

Just so people don't think i'm a complete retard, I don't part with money till i see the product but i'm living and working in wexford until the 1st of may so email is pretty much the only way to contact people.

Also, my knowledge of dublin geography is abmisal so if i hadn't heard of a street name mentioned in the address, i don't automatically dismiss it.

It was the "send off all the money and i'll post the keys to you" comment that got me sceptical :rolleyes:

Also, floating through different sites for places to stay, i'd say one in 5 properties i've communicated with is genuine. there is a massive collection of scammers online these days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's a scam, I've noticed a good few on Daft.ie when I was looking to rent, usually penthouse images overlooking some fantastic landscape, but obviously the inner city address and descriptions don't add up.

You're wise to doubt it, I'd notify wherever you saw the advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Your best bet is to get one of the evening papers,herald or indo,and scour the adds,at least you can be sure of a viewing even if some of the places are kips. Barring that,contact an agent through the yellow pages,a total rip off,but at least the property will actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

axer wrote: »
    Putting in his email address in Google brings up this:
    http://en.advisto.com/classifieds-auctions-answer/classified-ads-88389.htm

Looks like he is in the states.
    "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!"

Gives for free Dogs. Weight: 33.00 kg. Country of origin: United States of America (USA). Animals number: 233. Color: white. Vaccinated.
    English Bulldog A. kc registered. All papers will accompany. Ready for adoption. E-mail-mathew. close@gmail. com.

Scam here is probably the charge for 'shipping the 233 dogs'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Me thinks i will be sending Mr Close and email..as an Aussie Student looking for a place in Dublin.

Needs to rent quick.. will pay deposit asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

look at daft.ie ,or let.ie for place to stay,thats a scam ,you can use google.ie
    search ireland,to check do this person,company,place exist in ireland,
    maybe he means dublin in the usa,if there is one.

Advertisement