Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Gliding & Model Planes.

• 20-04-2008 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi I asked this question few weeks ago, had no replies, so thought I would try again!! Does anyone know where you can go Handgliding? or where model airplanes might fly?? looking for relative whos coming over in May, and would love to see something like this, as he is a Gliding pilot, and aeroplane fanatic!! We are in the Wexford area. :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

model plane clubs are in wexford
    contact MACI Model Aeronautics Council of Ireland www.maci.ie
    or look at www.greenhobbymodel.com which sell model planes
    The only fulll size gliding I saw years ago was in Kildare probably on the web

Local hill mount Leinster there sometimes is hanggliders and para gliders
    www.ihpa.ie/

There exists some private irfield in the wexford region but they are I believe private not for public but i could be wrong

Places like Weston airport Leixslip Kildare would know who what where etc or possibly Waterford airport

I fly model planes mostly Dublin and west and north Wicklow sometimes further south Arklow Wexford depending on flying events

pm me on relatives details as who knows the detaails might make it interesting to arrange a suitable meetting up at somewhere like Arklow

Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hi I asked this question few weeks ago, had no replies, so thought I would try again!! Does anyone know where you can go Handgliding? or where model airplanes might fly?? looking for relative whos coming over in May, and would love to see something like this, as he is a Gliding pilot, and aeroplane fanatic!! We are in the Wexford area. :D

Well if he is glider pilot then could try Kilkenny airfield as probably nearer to South Wexford. The main club in South of Ireland is Dubling Glding Club located in Gowran Grange, beside Punchetstown Racecourse just south of Naas in Kildare.
    But they have been having problems last few years with landlord and may not be able to fly from that site for part of summer due to crop encroachment.
    Check out number on website and phone ahead.

Mount Leinster is used as a Hang Gliding launch site AFAIK because you can drive upto near the top and thus make life a little easier. In case of hang gliders a lot will depend on the conditions on the day.
    Also find the odd paraglider off Bray head or up near Kippure in Wicklow mountains.

There is a aero model club up beside car park for climb onto Sugar Loaf off Kilmaccanogue to Roundwood road in Wicklow.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement