Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aiden McGeady wins the double

• 20-04-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Our Aiden has won both the Scottish player of the year and young player of the year.

Kudos to him. It is very great to see him develop. I think he is our most gifted player and this award indicates his consistency.

I' sure Eirebhoy is delighted.:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7357815.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Yeah, for Aiden! Great future from him i'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

As ive already mentioned in the SPL thread, im fairly surprised by this as his consistancy level isnt anywhere near that of Carlos Cuellar who has performed in EVERY match this season.

Im not trying to take away from McGeady here, as i do think he has the potential to be an excellent player.

I thought he was a stick on for the Young Player, while Cuellar would take the main one. But hey, when you consider Alan McGregor (and Artur Boruc for that matter) didnt even get a nomination, it says a lot for how i feel about the award as a whole this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Eirebear wrote: »
    As ive already mentioned in the SPL thread, im fairly surprised by this as his consistancy level isnt anywhere near that of Carlos Cuellar who has performed in EVERY match this season.
    Plus Cuellar is a great goalkeeper too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Thanks Eirebear for posting that in the SPL thread.

Ok Cuellar has been amazing this season, but football is entertainment and McGeady brings joy to many people with his skills and style.

I'm going to be biased because I like McGeady, but I think McGeady's position while much easier to shine requires much more than playing centre back.

Thanks Eirebear for posting that in the SPL thread.

Ok Cuellar has been amazing this season, but football is entertainment and McGeady brings joy to many people with his skills and style.

I'm going to be biased because I like McGeady, but I think McGeady's position while much easier to shine requires much more than playing centre back.

I cant say it requires much more than a centre back at all, expecially considering the way Rangers are set up this season tactically.
    (obviously im also biased)

Football is entertainment, i understand that and McGeady does entertain.

I dont really want to get into the attackers Vs defenders debate, but i really dont think you can write off someone who has defended as consitantly well from day one in his SPL career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

tbh I dont really watch much SPL.

Pre the Brazil match I thought he was awful for us. Vs Brazil he played really well.

Then there was Barca. **** me, I thought I was watching C Ronaldo sometimes, he was dancing rings around Pujol, it was jaw dropping compared to some of his mediocre Ireland performances. If he can keep this quality up he has the potential to be a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's good to hear. Hopefully he'll continue to improve his game as he offers Ireland something different.

I'm sure Liam Brady will be delighted for McEddie. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm sure Liam Brady will be delighted for McEddie. :pac:

I think you mean McEddy*:D

*wonders if its actually pronounced McEddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pfffft.

What do scots know about football. They should stick to what they're good at, having awesome accents.

Seriously though, he did well. Pity Celtic's season is a bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

kerash wrote: »
    I think you mean McEddy*:D

*wonders if its actually pronounced McEddy

I heard someone else pronouncing it that. One of the pundits for the Celtic/Rangers game midweek(can't remember the name)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

No doubt MON will be in for him in July. Not sure whether to :rolleyes: or :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

great news for ireland shows hes matured

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Delighted. This alone could have won it for him.

He's a great player to watch. It's a pity that Celtic have to rely on him so heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well done to Aiden for taking both awards (although I think they should have given the young player award to another player). I think Aiden fully deserves them. Lets hope the awards dont go to his head though and spur him on to continue on his development path. He is fairly level-headed so I dont think there is a risk of that.

I understand the argument you are making about Cuellar, Eirebear, but I dont think you can say that Cuellar was as influential as McGeady (mac-gee-dee) has been. Yes, Cuellar was solid at the back and consistent, but it was stable stuff. McGeady had to work a lot harder I think and on many's an occasion was doubly man-marked, etc. He used both his right and his left foot and is producing product in both crosses and goals and is skillful. I am sure as well that in a one-on-one that McGeady would be able to skin and skip past Cuellar. Not that that is a measure of a players capability in a team.

Generally, attackers (and attacking midfielders) are more than likely get these awards, as their work is usually be more visible and entertaining. And football is about entertainment as well.

I think Rangers are more of a solid team, and Cuellar has been his part in that, and this has seen them do well this season. Celtic have more flair, but more frailty, so sometimes do not get the goals that are needed to cover the leaked ones.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow, fair play to him

I think you maye be slightly underestimating the influence Cuellar has had on the Rangers team this season Redspider.

Think back to the last couple of seasons where our defence was at the worst i have ever seen it, we were giving away some of the most calamitous goals i have ever seen as a football supporter.
    We badly needed someone who could organise the defence, as well as being able to win balls in the air and also distribute the ball from defence.

Watch Cuellar closely when you get a chance, outside of the old firm games especially (as were all biased one way or the other in that) and youll see a player who very rarely lets anyone or anything by him.

Rangers success (so far :rolleyes:) this season has been built upon a confidence that can only come from having a solid defence. Without Cuellar we would be nowhere near the team we have been so far this season.

And as this award is voted for by PLAYERS, it confuses me even more because they are the ones who are supposed to understand the game a little better....i wouldnt have been surprised at all had McGeady won the Writers POTY, as i fully expect him to do.

The same goes for my argument about the nominations in the first place, Robson (half a good season at Dundee Utd, hasnt really settled at Celtic yet) and Brown (really not had a great season by any stretch of the imagination) should have been replaced by McGregor and Boruc, two players who i feel have had more influence over their respective teams consistantly throughout the season than the other two.

But hey, its all about opinions and thats just mine. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

EB,

with respect, could you not just saw "well done Aiden, you deserve it"?

I appreciate you are a loyal Ger, but you are arguing the farcical.

EB,

with respect, could you not just saw "well done Aiden, you deserve it"?

I appreciate you are a loyal Ger, but you are arguing the farcical.

Why ONYD? Because i feel that the one player nominated who deserved it more than McGeady is a Rangers player my opinion isnt valid?

I would hardly call my arguments farcical, and i have already said in my last post that its all about opinions and that was just mine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I think you maye be slightly underestimating the influence Cuellar has had on the Rangers team this season Redspider.

I don't. That's why I'm delighted he's out of the next game. :D

He's a great defender, and is largely the reason that Rangers are where they are.

As for the award itself, I agree with ONYD - even though I thought Cuellar was a stick-on, McGeady got it, so that's that and well done to him. I guess when the players vote on their favourite, it's the player that sticks in their head as being the most difficult to play against, being the one that's hardest to beat etc., and I guess McGeady was that player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    As for the award itself, I agree with ONYD - even though I thought Cuellar was a stick-on, McGeady got it, so that's that and well done to him. I guess when the players vote on their favourite, it's the player that sticks in their head as being the most difficult to play against, being the one that's hardest to beat etc., and I guess McGeady was that player.
    The thing is though, ONYD seems to think that im trying to stir up some type of "farcical" argument whenin truth i have only given an opinion in order to get a discussion going...is that not what these things are about?
    ziggy wrote: »

I think the votes were cast a couple of weeks ago Ziggy.
    As for Murrays lapdogs, lets just say i was talking to a couple of Journos at the weekend who are predicting a very, very large media backlash against celtic after the club put the boot in to a few people during the week.
    All rumour and hearsay of course, and i wont go into it here, but brace yourself because if it comes, its gonna hurt.

Why ONYD? Because i feel that the one player nominated who deserved it more than McGeady is a Rangers player my opinion isnt valid?.

I am saying that your response was sadly predictible. A Celtic player wins player of the year and the Rangers fan points to one of their players saying 'he wuz better'. You are arguing for the sake of it.

You could just be gracious.
    I would hardly call my arguments farcical, and i have already said in my last post that its all about opinions and that was just mine.

Your opinion is based on the premise that Cuellar not being Boumsong gives the rest of the Rangers team confidence. How do you quantify that? Regardless, the award always goes to the crowd pleaser. Cuellar is not that.

ziggy wrote: »

Nope, not just that.
    Something to do with something Strachan said that could be deemed as "highly offensive" unfortunatly i wasnt privvy to what exactly this is as the two guys i was talking to have been ordered to keep their mouths well and truly shut.

As i say, it could just be all talk....but they certainly werent happy bunnies. And i know for a fact that one of them is a celtic fan.

I cant really go into too much more of it, because i honestly dont know what it was. Im not just trying to stir up ****e here im literally just telling you what i know.

As i say, it could just be all talk....

:D:D

Is that what the "Lawall's Mhedia Monkeys" flag was about?

Where would we be without Rangers fans and their media conspiracy theories.

I am saying that your response was sadly predictible. A Celtic player wins player of the year and the Rangers fan points to one of their players saying 'he wuz better'. You are arguing for the sake of it.

You could just be gracious.

But again, i was quite simply giving myhonest opinon, if you want to jump on everyones case who does that on a forum your going to be a very busy man indeed.
    Its nothing to do with being gracious or not. Im pretty sure its still ok to discuss your opinions on how the award went is it not?
    In all reality its no skin off my nose who wins the individual awards. Its the ones that you win as a team that count.

:D:D

Is that what the "Lawall's Mhedia Monkeys" flag was about?

Where would we be without Rangers fans and their media conspiracy theories.

I didnt see the flag you are talking about, and no i doubt its connected in anyway.

Advertisement